rllmuk
Marlowe

Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

What the fuck am I watching? Eye See You. Some Stallone shit from 2002 I've never even heard of it. It's awful. 

On 17/05/2020 at 10:12, Pete said:

Anyone watched The Eddy yet? Same director as Whiplash and Lalaland and it;s got jazz so should be good...

Half way through and I'd say it is disappointing. The music is great when they are playing and so is the setting, but I still don't particularly care about the characters or what's happening to them. He only directed the first two episodes.

• Upvote 1

I'm two episodes into White Lines and have concluded that it's absolute shite. 

It's like that terrible Sky One series Riveria crossed with Coronation Street. The acting is terrible and the plot lines inexplicable. It's got Laurence Fox in it as a Mancunian hippy jesus who leads a collective mass humming of rave music from 30 years ago as a memorial to a dead DJ. It has dogs on cocaine. It has a main character who can't hold down the same accent for more than 15 seconds.

It treats us to a series of terrible flashbacks to the 90s. Based on my hazy memory, clubbing was nothing like how it's shown in Manchester in 1996. Facing the front while a DJ capers around with their hands in the air is something that came along with EDM. DJs were hidden away in DJ booths in the 90s and everyone was dancing and facing each other. Clubs weren't brightly lit and people weren't wearing stupid eye masks. Also E's were consistently shit by 1996 and no-one was listening to Age of Love. That was 1990.

I'll watch episode 3 tonight.

• Upvote 5

On 20/05/2020 at 22:39, APM said:

What the fuck am I watching? Eye See You. Some Stallone shit from 2002 I've never even heard of it. It's awful. 

I think it was originally released in the UK under the title ‘D-TOX’. Still a load of shite. 

On 20/05/2020 at 13:36, BedroomBusinessman said:

Such a good soundtrack, the Alan Parsons Project Song at every defining moment really fit the era. 

The Last Dance has started me and my wife on a path of sports documentaries. Any other recommendations?

‘Catching Hell‘ is good if you like watching a guy have his whole life destroyed because of a thousand to one fluke at a baseball game. 

39 minutes ago, BongoInferno said:

I'm two episodes into White Lines and have concluded that it's absolute shite. 

It's like that terrible Sky One series Riveria crossed with Coronation Street. The acting is terrible and the plot lines inexplicable. It's got Laurence Fox in it as a Mancunian hippy jesus who leads a collective mass humming of rave music from 30 years ago as a memorial to a dead DJ. It has dogs on cocaine. It has a main character who can't hold down the same accent for more than 15 seconds.

It treats us to a series of terrible flashbacks to the 90s. Based on my hazy memory, clubbing was nothing like how it's shown in Manchester in 1996. Facing the front while a DJ capers around with their hands in the air is something that came along with EDM. DJs were hidden away in DJ booths in the 90s and everyone was dancing and facing each other. Clubs weren't brightly lit and people weren't wearing stupid eye masks. Also E's were consistently shit by 1996 and no-one was listening to Age of Love. That was 1990.

I'll watch episode 3 tonight.

I was going to give this a go, but I’m out.

• Upvote 3

The last dance left me looking for another sports doc so I started F1 drive to survive. Ended up watching 6 episodes tonight! 

• Upvote 2

can I give an anti-recommendation? 

White lines is utter, utter shit. 

• Upvote 1

We finished White Lines last night. Yeah it was a bit silly and whatever but it was watchable enough. Probably would have been better with a couple of episodes less but it wasn't too bad.

Note that we also found The Stranger compelling enough to watch it all despite it being a bit ITV like so I think our standards are a bit lower than most RLLMUKers when it comes to watching things on Netflix :lol:

Anybody watches Terrace House? One of the contestants (Hana) committed suicide last night. :(

White Lines is complete trash but it's got no sense of self importance so its awfulness feels totally forgivable and part of the appeal, we'll happily go thru it at an ep a night over a week or two. Something like Riviera on Sky has ideas above its quality and is similar glossy trash but played straight which somehow makes it awful and I can't be bothered with it at all.  

5 hours ago, spork said:

We finished White Lines last night. Yeah it was a bit silly and whatever but it was watchable enough. Probably would have been better with a couple of episodes less but it wasn't too bad.

Note that we also found The Stranger compelling enough to watch it all despite it being a bit ITV like so I think our standards are a bit lower than most RLLMUKers when it comes to watching things on Netflix :lol:

I quite liked The Stranger too. That's the one with Paul Kaye in it, right? He's the highlight.

Sure, it wasn't stellar but easily digestible and enjoyable. You should try Unforgotten which is the best TV drama I've seen since lockdown started.

• Upvote 1

On 20/05/2020 at 21:58, Fierce Poodle said:

Anyone watched Trial by Media yet?

Finished watching the series this morning, was OK. They mostly seems rather unfocused and stretched out to fill the running time. Each one needed better editing as they all (bar one) became repetitive or filled with unneeded scenes which made me lose interest.

The one one which I thought was engaging the whole way through was episode two Subway Vigilante. That was fantastic. The rest could have been thirty minutes long each and been much tighter and gripping.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Sapa said:

Has anyone been watching The Midnight Gospel? Still wiping away the tears from that last episode! 

Article about that final episode

The final Midnight Gospel episode found a profound way to talk about death

Have been watching these on and off. I think the premise must have been, let's get two people together, feed them acid, record what they say and then draw entirely unrelated craziness to go along with their words!

It's crazy with a capital Z. Fun though.

1 hour ago, Aurelius said:

Anybody watches Terrace House? One of the contestants (Hana) committed suicide last night. :(

Aye :(

Apparently related to an incident in a later episode yet to be put on international Netflix. Wouldn't surprise me if they scrap it.

Only 22. 

22 minutes ago, Danster said:

Have been watching these on and off. I think the premise must have been, let's get two people together, feed them acid, record what they say and then draw entirely unrelated craziness to go along with their words!

It's crazy with a capital Z. Fun though.

I think they're mostly all created from real conversations he's had with guests on his podcast. Some of them are really just backing visuals for the conversation without a real storyline as such. I would really just recommend watching the final episode just for that conversation. There is a bit of a storyline arc, but not really, it's not important. It would be a shame for people to give up before getting to that last one. I still haven't stopped thinking about it.

42 minutes ago, grounded_dreams said:

Finished watching the series this morning, was OK. They mostly seems rather unfocused and stretched out to fill the running time. Each one needed better editing as they all (bar one) became repetitive or filled with unneeded scenes which made me lose interest.

The one one which I thought was engaging the whole way through was episode two Subway Vigilante. That was fantastic. The rest could have been thirty minutes long each and been much tighter and gripping.

I watched the first one and I totally agree with you. I didn't get a sense that the team behind it had anything to say, other than aren't these stories interesting. It would have been more powerful for them to take some kind of editorial stance. I'll definitely give Subway Vigilante a try though.

29 minutes ago, Sapa said:

I think they're mostly all created from real conversations he's had with guests on his podcast. Some of them are really just backing visuals for the conversation without a real storyline as such. I would really just recommend watching the final episode just for that conversation. There is a bit of a storyline arc, but not really, it's not important. It would be a shame for people to give up before getting to that last one. I still haven't stopped thinking about it.

Oh I fully intend to finish it off :) 

• Upvote 1

After two episodes of Space Force I’ve given up. It’s utterly dire. At no point is it funny at all.

• Upvote 1

I'm one episode in and it's not exactly great. Not bad enough that I'm going to give up yet though.

The interactions between Malkovich and Carell are good but that's about it.

Just watched first episode. it has some nice sets.

Jeffrey Epstein:Filthy Rich is really intriguing but heartbreakingly maddening; infuriating that there were numerous opportunities to stop him and yet his prestige and power allowed him to get away with his criminality. Only 4 parts, so hoping it maintains its quality through the series. 

• Upvote 1

Finished Colony, man that's frustrating that there's no 4th season, was set up nicely and had grown in strength as the seasons went on.

Watching Harlan Coben's "the stranger". It's utter bollox but so convuluted that we're wondering what mickey mouse coincidence they can come up with next, it's almost a comedy. Also Dennis Pennis is in everything these days too.

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, thesnwmn said:

After two episodes of Space Force I’ve given up. It’s utterly dire. At no point is it funny at all.

Didn't think much of episode 1. Episode 2 did make me laugh quite a bit though 

Spoiler

The stuff with the chimp 

It's not great though 

I'll stick with Space Force for a few more episodes (watched ep 1 the other night), surely they've not loaded up a show with that many good comedians/comic actors without giving them anything to do...?

I started to reply but then I went to watch the actual rocket launch today.  So Space Force four episodes in and I think I’ve laughed twice, it’s really doing nothing for me.  I think maybe it’s too earnest and nice to be funny.

Space Force is an odd one. Incredible cast but decidedly mediocre first episode. I did laugh like a drain at the

Spoiler

“Spaceman First Class”

bit. 

The rest of it is pretty damn poor given the direction they’ve gone with it, which you would think would be interesting.