rllmuk
Marlowe

Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

While I’m here, there is a great documentary on Netflix about a radical summer camp for disabled people in 70s US, called Crip Camp. Watch it!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, gospvg said:

Anyone watched The Platform?

Yuss - it's a bit unsubtle in its themes but I really enjoyed it.

On 27/03/2020 at 12:48, ZOK said:

Anybody watching Cheer, about the Navarro junior college cheerleading squad training for the national championships? It’s really good.

I watched it on the basis that it's produced by the same team who did Last Chance U, which is brilliant. I have a real soft spot for small town Americana and both LCU and Cheer scratch that itch to perfection. Extra credit for Cheer in that I could watch it with my girlfriend. 

@ZOK what I'm saying is, if you liked Cheer, watch Last Chance U. 

• Upvote 3

New series of Sunderland 'Til I Die today. Love it. 

First thing the new bosses focus on is the walk out music. I'll be the same story as last year where everyone peddles the bike hard while the owners get fixated on selling the wheels. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, AK Bell said:

New series of Sunderland 'Til I Die today. Love it. 

First thing the new bosses focus on is the walk out music. I'll be the same story as last year where everyone peddles the bike hard while the owners get fixated on selling the wheels. 

Just watched the first one. Obviously, they don't go up. The posh, sweary, floppy haired Chief Exec is an instant arsehole. 

I can't really forgive Sunderland as they played Southend in their final game with nothing to play for, didn't try, played a weakened team and Southend won.... relegating us to League 2. They also got a lot of friendly referees that season and, although they're pleading poverty at the very start, their budget was enormous compared to some teams in League 1. Spending £900k on Wyke was madness.

I love their fans though.

I'll enjoy this. Loved the first season.

On 31/03/2020 at 11:29, museman123 said:

Gets even more crazy in episode 5!

You're right. Episode 5 and the look on the guy's face in the office.

Also 

Spoiler

Joe Exotic's valedictory about his husband's balls, smooth as chicken nuggets. 

Spoiler

Bonkers. Best episode yet.

On 26/03/2020 at 07:36, KartoffelKopf said:

I don't really follow football but loved STiD. Fascinating insight and I had no idea how it was going to end. Clearly neither did they when they started which is what makes it so compelling. 

Did they have as barmy a season last year then? Obviously, watch your spoilers as I have no idea. :)

On 01/04/2020 at 21:22, neoELITE said:

Summary of everything that happens at the end

Oh well.... :( guess I just need to stay off the internet.

Sunderland 'Til I Die season 2 is fantastic. Perhaps not quite as watch-through-the-fingers calamitous as the first season

Spoiler

because they are in the third tier and holding their own but the boardroom machinations are fascinating. Maybe it's just me but after episode 3 I started to find the two directors overbearing and there's a small part of me that now wants them to fail. As harsh as that sounds I find some of their treatment of staff steps over the line.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Monkeyboy said:

Part 4 of Money Heist has been added.

God, really thought it was called Monkey Heist when I first read this. 

Must be a combination of your username and the innately amusing, Partridgesqe affixing of ‘Monkey’ to the front of any activity. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, KartoffelKopf said:

Oh well.... :( guess I just need to stay off the internet.

I thought this would not have been a spoiler considering you'd know that unless you aren't a football supporter or interested in football.

A prime example of them getting favourable decisions is evident in their boxing day match at home to Bradford City. I doubt they'll show the game when they played my team away with two absolute blatant handballs that should have given us two penalties in the first half at 0-0..... but yes, I'm bitter.

I just noticed (the original) Dumb and Dumber is on there.

Never gets old.

• Upvote 1

Kids abandoned Disney Life for a bit as Teen Titans Series 5 is up.

1 hour ago, TurningMonster said:

Does anyone have any suggestions for docs to fill a void left by The Tiger King? 

Some of my favourites you might not have watched:

Don't Fuck With Cats

Making A Murderer - just the first series

The Vietnam War

Evil Genius 

The Films That Made Us

The Toys That Made Us

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, TurningMonster said:

Does anyone have any suggestions for docs to fill a void left by The Tiger King? 

Everything @neoELITE said, and Wild Wild Country.

I’ve two episodes into a french true crime doc called Who Killed Little Gregory which is really good so far.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, neoELITE said:

I thought this would not have been a spoiler considering you'd know that unless you aren't a football supporter or interested in football.

A prime example of them getting favourable decisions is evident in their boxing day match at home to Bradford City. I doubt they'll show the game when they played my team away with two absolute blatant handballs that should have given us two penalties in the first half at 0-0..... but yes, I'm bitter.

I'm a football fan but have no idea what's going on in the third tier so it would be a shame to spoil this excellent series.

Anyone else watch The Decline? I thought it was an excellent little thriller.

2 hours ago, Bazjam said:

Everything @neoELITE said, and Wild Wild Country.

Seconded Wild Wild Country - if you though Tiger King was crazy you’ve got to see the former. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, TurningMonster said:

I'd add these to the other recommendations:

The 13th

The Staircase

The Keepers

Icarus

I hear American factory is very good but haven't had the time to watch it myself yet.

• Upvote 1

Bit of a Tiger King follow-up. Bit weird this is happening this way, I suppose

Spoiler

10 hours ago, TurningMonster said:

Have you watched the Louis Theroux documentary with Joe Exotic that’s on iplayer? 

If you have any interest in sport then The Barkley Marathon is great. It’s an ultramarathon where the entry cost changes each year. If the organiser needs new clothes then he might ask for a fleece as the entry fee. Runners have up to 60 hours to run 100 miles; managing 60 miles is seen as a fun run. Only about 20 people have ever managed it as the course is so demanding - off road, through gorse bushes, under a prison, up step hills etc. It’s a great watch, just from a WTAF viewpoint. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

I'm a football fan but have no idea what's going on in the third tier so it would be a shame to spoil this excellent series.

I'd have thought every football fan would know who's been playing in the Championship this season.

Spoiler

Spending £3m on Will Grigg kind of contradicted the entire "sustainability" theme of the first two episodes. 

Season 4 of Kim's convenience dropped yesterday also the yahoo produced final season of community so you can watch the whole thing through 

• Upvote 1