rllmuk
Marlowe

Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

14 minutes ago, Mike S said:

I don't steam at 4k for starters but I presume Netflox are throttling in order that their servers can manage demand, not the local networks. You can be sure that if Zen (in my case), or BT, or Virgin, or whoever run out of bandwidth then we'll hear about it from them and they will be proactive in throttling. 

It's nothing like taking all the toilet rolls and leaving someone else without. 

Netflix don't steam content from "their servers". They come from edge caches and installations within the ISP networks https://openconnect.netflix.com/en_gb/

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

The throttling in Europe is not because of Netflix' servers, but because of demand on EU internet infrastructure.  I read that it was the EU who requested that Netflix throttle quality over here.

In there is a risk to the EU infrastructure then why are local internet service providers not sending notices out and throttling all internet? Why is 4K streaming allowed at all? Why is online gaming still allowed? etc?

1 minute ago, pledge said:

Netflix don't steam content from "their servers". They come from edge caches and installations within the ISP networks https://openconnect.netflix.com/en_gb/

And, by using the US site I'd be drawing on data stored over there, surely? It's effectively the same thing as I would bypass the local load on the UK servers whoever is hosting the data.

Unless all global content is held on every ISP network?

There's no issue on server load, its the bandwidth in the network to your home. By asking Netflix to reduce the bitrate it eases the strain. Getting it from the US it still comes through the network within region before getting to you.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, pledge said:

There's no issue on server load, its the bandwidth in the network to your home. By asking Netflix to reduce the bitrate it eases the strain. Getting it from the US it still comes through the network within region before getting to you.

Fair enough.

I won't bother then. But, if this is the case then ISP s need to be enforcing proper caps. No downloads over x Gb, throttling, etc, no online gaming. Proper protection of this overstretched bandwidth. 

The comparison to panic buying and effectively stealing from grannies was hysterical, insulting, and a tad hurtful though. I've not bought anything over our usual small shops (when I've been able to) since this shit kicked off. 

8 minutes ago, Mike S said:

Fair enough.

I won't bother then. But, if this is the case then ISP s need to be enforcing proper caps. No downloads over x Gb, throttling, etc, no online gaming. Proper protection of this overstretched bandwidth. 

The comparison to panic buying and effectively stealing from grannies was hysterical, insulting, and a tad hurtful though. I've not bought anything over our usual small shops (when I've been able to) since this shit kicked off. 

True, but going directly to the biggest source of individual bandwidth use in the world is a quicker solution than getting every ISP to enforce QoS rules that require deep packet inspection. Online gaming uses a trivial amount of bandwidth compared to video. 

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, pledge said:

True, but going directly to the biggest source of individual bandwidth use in the world is a quicker solution than getting every ISP to enforce QoS rules that require deep packet inspection. Online gaming uses a trivial amount of bandwidth compared to video. 

The actual gaming bandwidth usage may be small but all those 100Gb COD Warzone, etc  downloads are roughly the equivalent of a month of our Netflix streaming as we aren't huge consumers of content.

Anyway, it might all be a bit moot as I can see Netflix capping the US soon enough. I've also decided to pass on trying a month or two of Disney plus as they are reducing bandwidth similarly so am doing by bit there at least.

I don't think the internet is going to fall over anytime soon and that the large ISP's?Governments will intervene properly should it become seriously stressed.

If I lived next door to Mike S, I'd sell up and move to Outer Mongolia. 

Kingdom still looks fine in 1080p. First World problems.

1 hour ago, Ste Pickford said:

The throttling in Europe is not because of Netflix' servers, but because of demand on EU internet infrastructure.  I read that it was the EU who requested that Netflix throttle quality over here.

Didn't they get the message we're not in the EU anymore? 

• Upvote 2

It'll certainly be interesting to see how everyone does at spotting the 25% reduction in bitrate when we have such intense arguments about tiny differences in pixels in another folder.

If they down sampled everything to 1080p but kept the HDR I wouldn’t notice. 

They're actually reducing the bitrate rather than resolution though right?

Yes, but that should make a difference to quality, even if that's only slight. I assume they're not re-encoding everything, so presume that they're just going to drop the top ABR profile for each viewing profile (does anyone know if they've said what they're doing?) For 4K, that might mean dropping to 1440p. For HD that might mean dropping from 1080p to 720p, but they might have more than one bitrate at 1080p. Not sure. It's been a long time since I looked at Netflix encoding.

Bah, On the Beach isn’t available on Netflix any more. That would be the perfect old-timey film to watch at the moment, the sense of foreboding as gradually everyday life and the society arounds it grinds to a halt...

On 23/03/2020 at 11:07, Silent Runner said:

Is Maniac any good? I've watched two and love the look and style of it but the story isn't hooking me and Johan Hill is a bit annoying. Worth sticking with?

It feels like it should be worth it, but the final ending ending felt so inconsequential I'd say no? But parts of the journey were great. It's one of those shows where it would have been amazing if they'd got the ending right, but honestly if you're not enjoying it now give up.

Yes! Season 2 of Sunderland Till I die is out in a couple of weeks! It's probably the greatest fly-on-the-wall sports docu ever, mainly because it's proper warts and all, nothing is hidden from the viewer, which makes for pretty amusing viewing!

• Upvote 3

56 minutes ago, PopeSmokesDope said:

Yes! Season 2 of Sunderland Till I die is out in a couple of weeks! It's probably the greatest fly-on-the-wall sports docu ever, mainly because it's proper warts and all, nothing is hidden from the viewer, which makes for pretty amusing viewing!

It's easily one of my top 5 comedies of all time. 

Yup... even thought you know whats going to happen, its fucking hilarious just watching the soul get ripped out from everyone and stamped on...

It's the best doc for showing what being a football fan really means, Kudos to the Black Cats for allowing it...

Getting 1.08mbps with HD now - quality looks like it has taken a fairly big hit. I don’t remember the pre-Covid bitrate?

15 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Bah, On the Beach isn’t available on Netflix any more. That would be the perfect old-timey film to watch at the moment, the sense of foreboding as gradually everyday life and the society arounds it grinds to a halt...

I'd loop it in with a When the wind blows and Plague dogs double header

• Upvote 1

Still looks pretty damn good on my 55" tv. Also the Tiger King thing is good going from the first episode, man America is fucking nuts.

On 23/03/2020 at 15:15, Vulgar Monkey said:

Anyone seen The Platform?

I have. It's massively on the nose but excellent I thought. A grim watch though.

On 24/03/2020 at 20:17, Triple A said:

Getting 1.08mbps with HD now - quality looks like it has taken a fairly big hit. I don’t remember the pre-Covid bitrate?

Depends on the show/movie. The Haunting of Hill House was particularly terrible for it at around 1mb/s.

I can't watch Netflix at the moment - on our 55" OLED it looks 'fuzzy', for want of a better word. Have they dropped the resolution or is it a number of other things too It's meant that I've basically stopped watching Netflix for the time being, because I'm acutely aware that it looks much worse than it should do. It was weird that there were stories from BT and other ISPs essentially saying that we had nothing to worry about and bandwidth would be fine, then the EU told Netflix to drop bitrate. 

Was this a restriction put in place due to ISPs and connectivity being much worse in certain other EU countries? 

@Mike S you have nothing to feel bad about - it appears that this is the EU being over-zealous. BT literally put out this article saying that they had more than enough capacity for everyone to work from home ahead of the EU putting the limit in place: https://newsroom.bt.com/the-facts-about-our-network-and-coronavirus/

The UK’s fixed broadband network core is built (with a lot of ‘headroom’) to support the ‘evening peak’ of network traffic, driven by these high-bandwidth applications. The highest peak we’ve seen in evening traffic was 17.5Tb/s, driven by videogame updates and streaming football.

In contrast, daytime usage, during working hours, generally runs at about 5 Tb/s.

Since Tuesday this week, as people started to work from home more extensively, we’ve seen weekday daytime traffic increase 35-60% compared with similar days on the fixed network, peaking at 7.5Tb/s.

This is still only around half the average evening peak, and nowhere near the 17.5 Tb/s we have proved the network can handle.

These numbers were ahead of the EU ruining the bitrate on Netflix. I wish they had implemented it on a per-country basis, because clearly we were fine here.

On 24/03/2020 at 15:51, PopeSmokesDope said:

I don't really follow football but loved STiD. Fascinating insight and I had no idea how it was going to end. Clearly neither did they when they started which is what makes it so compelling. 

Did they have as barmy a season last year then? Obviously, watch your spoilers as I have no idea. :)