rllmuk
Marlowe

Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

Captain Fantastic is up. Highly recommended.

• Upvote 7

On 05/03/2020 at 07:34, grounded_dreams said:

New trailer for season two of Kingdom, releases 13th March:

Hadn't heard of this series at all, looks great. Is it pretty violent/scary? Mrs won't tolerate much of either so may be a watch-alone.

6 hours ago, Kzo said:

Hadn't heard of this series at all, looks great. Is it pretty violent/scary? Mrs won't tolerate much of either so may be a watch-alone.

Seem to remember it being pretty violent and scary. Rating for the first season was 18 I think.

It's also absolutely brilliant. Incredible cinematography throughout.

Anyone else having issues watching the second season of the F1 program?  It keeps buffering and throwing me out.  :(

On 11/03/2020 at 18:55, Benny said:

It's also absolutely brilliant. Incredible cinematography throughout.

I absolutely hated it. The idea was interesting, but the plot utterly falls to fucking bits the minute you stop to think about it.

The Stranger. Not sure why this had so many people talking about it at work etc. It's just like some cheap-ass ITV clag from what I've seen so far. 

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

The Stranger. Not sure why this had so many people talking about it at work etc. It's just like some cheap-ass ITV clag from what I've seen so far. 

I really took against it by the end.  It really started to piss me right off by the end of the first episode: "oooh, and he has an secret, and she has a secret about his secret, and her secret is also my secret but we're keeping it secret".

Spot on re. the ITV feels by the end of it.

I've started watching Kingdom which, for those that haven't heard of it, is a medieval Korean zombie drama. I'm maybe 5 episodes in and so far I really recommend it. Loads of excellent zombie acting, an involving plot about leaders not giving enough fucks about the spread of a new deadly disease, and excellent hats.

• Upvote 4

I finished the second season recently and it carries on the excellent zombie fare with some really impressive set pieces.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

I've started watching Kingdom which, for those that haven't heard of it, is a medieval Korean zombie drama. I'm maybe 5 episodes in and so far I really recommend it. Loads of excellent zombie acting, an involving plot about leaders not giving enough fucks about the spread of a new deadly disease, and excellent hats.

You finally had me at hats. 

I'll add it to the list.

• Upvote 3

I'll second Sex education and I am not Ok with this, as both being echellente!

Anyone seen Lost Girls? I tried Kingdom and Dark, but I'm really lazy with subtitles (never had a problem with Dragonball Super, hah!), and am getting worse at giving the TV 100% attention, which you really need if you can't understand what they are saying in passing. Are they worth properly paying attention for?

Ozark season 3 and Money Heist Part IV in the coming week or 2, all to watch in glorious 1080p

• Upvote 1

On 17/03/2020 at 21:28, Bucky said:

Spot on re. the ITV feels by the end of it.

The end of it! Finished it last night and my god it was bad. Such unbelievable stupidity and ridiculousness, with the most pathetic ending I've seen in a long time. Can anyone tell me what the fuck  was the point in the plot about

the alpaca and the naked dude? Complete waste of time!

On 18/03/2020 at 00:59, Uncle Mike said:

Me too. Watched the first three episodes yesterday and I can attest that there's some amazing hats. 

The scene with the prisoners seemed odd - a bit of Laurel and Hardy comedy amongst a savage zombie outbreak. 

It's a bit annoying the 

Spoiler

Zombies are only active at night.

Anyone been watching The Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem and Madness? It’s absolutely bonkers.  Would recommend not reading too much about it, it’s up there with Don’t Fuck With Cats in the “did that actually happen?!” stakes.  Very bingeable, although I feel like I need a week long shower after watching it.

12 hours ago, deerokus said:

Tiger King is amazing. Joe Exotic is like a Far Cry villain. 

He was a favourite of Last Podcast on the Left’s “Side Stories” for a number of months. Still can’t believe he thought running for President was a good idea.

Just a heads-up: the film Three Identical Strangers will be available on Netflix UK from next week. For the uninitiated, it's a documentary about an unusual human interest story that happened across the late 70s/early 80s in which three complete strangers living in New York met each other and discovered they were identical triplets, and subsequently became minor celebrities. Do not read anything else about the film. All I can say is that it's essential viewing for anyone who loves Netflix's documentary output.

• Upvote 4

Is Maniac any good? I've watched two and love the look and style of it but the story isn't hooking me and Johan Hill is a bit annoying. Worth sticking with?

3 hours ago, Superblast! said:

Just a heads-up: the film Three Identical Strangers will be available on Netflix UK from next week. For the uninitiated, it's a documentary about an unusual human interest story that happened across the late 70s/early 80s in which three complete strangers living in New York met each other and discovered they were identical triplets, and subsequently became minor celebrities. Do not read anything else about the film. All I can say is that it's essential viewing for anyone who loves Netflix's documentary output.

I second this, fantastic WTF doc. Definitely best to go in cold.

This 25% throttling back of bandwidth for Europe makes Netflix look shite on a TV sized screen. I assume they are going to continue to charge full price for this 75% quality? 

EDIT: actually I'll just run through the VPN and use the US service.

2 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

You realise that if they're throttling the bandwidth, it's to keep the internet in Europe actually functioning for everyone?  If you find a way around it to trick it into giving you 4k quality, or whatever, into Europe, that's the bandwidth equivalent of buying 20 packs of toilet rolls from the supermarket and leaving some granny unable to buy any.

I don't steam at 4k for starters but I presume Netflox are throttling in order that their servers can manage demand, not the local networks. You can be sure that if Zen (in my case), or BT, or Virgin, or whoever run out of bandwidth then we'll hear about it from them and they will be proactive in throttling. 

It's nothing like taking all the toilet rolls and leaving someone else without. 

The throttling in Europe is not because of Netflix' servers, but because of demand on EU internet infrastructure.  I read that it was the EU who requested that Netflix throttle quality over here.

• Upvote 1