rllmuk
Marlowe

Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

2 hours ago, gospvg said:

I have no personal preference on how this thread is run, like I have said already and you seem to be ignoring is that the uncut gems & good time discussion was going on for too long with about 20+ posts both films have dedicated threads and the posters should have used those instead of the comfort of posting in a megathread.

I will continue to do the same in threads that I follow or read in film/tv, sports & gaming discussion.

The Ghibli discussion you mention has now moved to the dedicated thread because I bumped up that thread and amended the title.

If you want to continue discussing you can take it to the A&F thread.

Quite a stunning lack of self-awareness going in your post there, @gospvg.

If people want to post in topic specific threads, that’s where they will post - it’s really as simple as that.

If people ask you to move their posts for them, it’s fair enough - if they don’t, you should mind your own business.

Unless, of course, you now think this is the gospvgforum rather than rllmukforum, which I admit does very much seem to be the case.

• Downvote 10

15 minutes ago, Cool Ben said:

Is the film good?

You won’t be able to find out from reading this thread, that’s for sure. @gospvg hath decreed it shalt not be so.

• Downvote 10

You know what fuck it! Do whatever the fuck you want I don’t give a shit! Twat!

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

Just now, gospvg said:

You know what fuck it! Do whatever the fuck you want I don’t give a shit!

Thank you! Much appreciated.

• Downvote 9

19 minutes ago, Cool Ben said:

Is the film good?

It's exhausting. Don't watch it if you fancy chilling out in front of the TV.

I've never seen anyone have a problem with having their posts moved to a more specific thread, @ZOK, except you here. Is this part of your internet schtick of being always right? It's a little tiresome when taken to this extreme, frankly. And if it's not playing to part of your persona it's pretty self-important.

• Upvote 9

53 minutes ago, SozzlyJoe said:

I've never seen anyone have a problem with having their posts moved to a more specific thread, @ZOK, except you here. Is this part of your internet schtick of being always right? It's a little tiresome when taken to this extreme, frankly. And if it's not playing to part of your persona it's pretty self-important.

That’s both needlessly insulting and rude, especially coming from a supposed moderator. 

It’s really very simple - if I, or anyone else, posts in this thread, it’s because I, or anyone else, wants to discuss things in this thread. If I want my posts moved, I’ll ask for it.

What I personally absolutely do not want is for someone to take it upon themselves to subsequently split a conversation across three threads, consequently making a nonsense of it, because they’ve got an extra set of buttons they can’t resist touching and need a self-justification for doing so.

If the committee think this idea of ‘curators’ isn’t as obviously flawed as it clearly is (and the hoohah with the Sekiro stuff should have illustrated that quite clearly) then perhaps they can have a word with the individuals concerned and point out they should be moving stuff by request only.

• Downvote 8

Have you watched Uncut Gems? That’s brilliant! Good Time is amazing too, they are both by the same directors.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 7

22 minutes ago, ZOK said:

That’s both needlessly insulting and rude, especially coming from a supposed moderator. 

It’s really very simple - if I, or anyone else, posts in this thread, it’s because I, or anyone else, wants to discuss things in this thread. If I want my posts moved, I’ll ask for it.

What I personally absolutely do not want is for someone to take it upon themselves to subsequently split a conversation across three threads, consequently making a nonsense of it, because they’ve got an extra set of buttons they can’t resist touching and need a self-justification for doing so.

If the committee think this idea of ‘curators’ isn’t as obviously flawed as it clearly is (and the hoohah with the Sekiro stuff should have illustrated that quite clearly) then perhaps they can have a word with the individuals concerned and point out they should be moving stuff by request only.

I do see your point of view. It's just your framing of a guy as some power-hungry maniac when from his perspective he is trying to kindle discussion in what can be a rather moribund corner of the forum doesn’t sit well with me. The notion you have of the location of your posts being so sacrosanct is the thing I wanted to flag as rather untypical to gosvpg, who is perhaps feeling a little put upon given his last post. Most people just aren't that bothered. You have made it more than clear you are, which is your perogative, of course. So perhaps calling you self-important was a little rude, and for that I apologise.

• Upvote 4

And in penance to the derail, I will do an actual Netflix recommendation. A qualified one however - Spectral. Even though it is a Netflix original they seem strangely reticent about it, I only found it through a genre search on Justwatch and had to type it in specifically on Netflix.

Story is, there's a war in Moldova, the US versus Russian backed insurgents, but it turns out there are these also strange spectral beings that can only be seen through special cameras, and they are able to kill at will.. Enter our heroes, who have to figure out what the hell is going on, and how to combat these strange creatures.

It's very endearingly stupid, like Call of Duty meets Ghostbusters. Very high production values, though in truth it sort of wastes a very good premise.

8 minutes ago, SozzlyJoe said:

I do see your point of view. It's just your framing of a guy as some power-hungry maniac when from his perspective he is trying to kindle discussion in what can be a rather moribund corner of the forum doesn’t sit well with me. The notion you have of the location of your posts being so sacrosanct is the thing I wanted to flag as rather untypical to gosvpg, who is perhaps feeling a little put upon given his last post. Most people just aren't that bothered. You have made it more than clear you are, which is your perogative, of course. So perhaps calling you self-important was a little rude, and for that I apologise.

Thank you.

I don’t think I’m framing @gospvg as a power hungry maniac. I have certainly been framing him as being a busybody, which is also unnecessary, and so for that I also apologise.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

11 hours ago, Silent Runner said:

You can now turn off auto-play on the menu screen. Manage Profiles> and untick Autoplay Previews. 

Great news!  Now they just need to add an option to stop playing trailers over the end credits of a movie.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Silent Runner said:

You can now turn off auto-play on the menu screen. Manage Profiles> and untick Autoplay Previews. 

About fucking time!! 

On 30/01/2020 at 23:07, Benny said:

Everyone needs to drop everything they are doing and watch Blindspotting. It's the most surprising film I've seen in ages.

Yeah awesome little film.  Saw a trailer for this at the Curzon a while back and had been keeping an eye out.  It's bang on the nose at times but does a few things very differently.

On 06/02/2020 at 20:38, Silent Runner said:

Thank fuck for that. So terribly annoying. 

The Lemmy documentary is really great. Such a unique and talented old guy who's sadly not around any longer.

The Scotty Ian story about Lemmy's shorts is genuinely hilarious.

His flat is also amazing.

I wish I'd met him. A true legend.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

Started watching Locke and Key and seems a pretty fun take on the kids in a haunted house genre. 

Read the comics, they are about a million times better.

I was hoping for some proper horror! Seemed competently made though, I’ll probably stick with it. 

Anyone seen The Stranger? They've certainly nailed the cliffhanger ending - watched five in a row. I just hope it all comes together satisfactorily by the end. Worth watching for Stephen Rea, who is terrific.

• Upvote 1

Yeah we finished it last night. Entertaining fluff, full of twists, turns and red herrings. We enjoyed it for what it was.

• Upvote 1

On 09/02/2020 at 09:30, ckny said:

Yeah we finished it last night. Entertaining fluff, full of twists, turns and red herrings. We enjoyed it for what it was.

So I finished The Stranger last night and I was pleasantly surprised by how it tied a lot of loose ends together. Yes, it was far-fetched and a bit silly but there was dramatic stuff happening in each episode and it didn't feel artificially padded like a lot of these things.

It was a lot better than Deadwater Fell and Dublin Murders, if that's any yardstick.

A great turn by Paul Kaye too. He's come a long way since Dennis Pennis.

Just finished The Stranger as well. Very reminiscent of the other Harlen Coben show on there, Safe. With a guy who’s not a copper by trade racing around doing a lot of his own detective work, and with a job that he never seems to do much of.

Spoiler

What was the point of the alpaca sub plot? Didn’t seem to go anywhere. Just there as a red herring?