Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

1 hour ago, Camel said:

Sex Education looks annoying from the trailer. Is it annoying?

I couldn't last more than a single episode. I found it incredibly annoying, in the same way as Skins - another show that everyone raved about that I couldn't bear to watch.

4 hours ago, Ste Pickford said:

I couldn't last more than a single episode. I found it incredibly annoying, in the same way as Skins - another show that everyone raved about that I couldn't bear to watch.

Get your sex education off my lawn :P

• Upvote 1

Started The Stranger last night. Only first two episodes. Interesting enough I suppose, but not impressed with how it's done personally. I understand it's based on a novel by an American author and is set in the USA, but they've transposed it to the UK here. The unfortunate result is a general feel that's a bit like Midsomer Murders crossed with Jonathan Creek. There's something faintly naff and unbelievable about the setting and the people which is ruining my investment in it. Everywhere is picturesque and clean, everyone is very upper middle class and they all live in bleeding mansions! We'll probably stick with it but can't see us rushing through it.

The Dave Chappelle stuff on Netflix is brilliant. I definitely feel he has gotten better with age though, and prefer his newer stuff on there. Even some of the stuff that is only like 3 years old sees him banging on for long stretches about "pussy", and while I'm not easily offended in this way it feels dated and crass, even though I love the guy. His newer stuff is much more charged and interesting imho. Sticks and Stones is one of the best I've ever seen from him.

• Upvote 3
9 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Watching The Stranger too, up-to episode 4 or something, totally stupid and ridiculous but lots of fun and very moreish.

Pretty much this. We're watching it, knowing its a bit crap but there is something quite intriguing about it all that is keeping us watching.

• Upvote 1

I watched The Stranger from start to finish and enjoyed it but didn’t feel it delivered on its initial intrigue.

Uncut Gems was amazing, Sandler amazing and Julia Fox was AMAZING, for all the reasons.

6 hours ago, Ste Pickford said:

I stuck with its weird mix of UK/USA Skins/John Hughes isms, but it won my over with its Spartacus riff at the end of S01E05

8 hours ago, Ste Pickford said:

Me either. Too eager to be 'cool'.

The Taylor Swift documentary is really great. I’m a huge fan and it was a real treat to see how she  puts her songs together and how her team works. There’s some bits that feel a little scripted but there’s times when she seems really sincere and honest. Loved it. 

• Upvote 1

Imo there’s nowt wrong with posting about stuff that’s on Netflix in the Netflix thread, so long as spoilers aren’t revealed (same per all threads involving entertainment then).

I just finished Uncut Gems. It was amazing and better than Good Time which was also amazing.

Dunno if they're new, but some Ghibli films are up now, the best of which is Isao Takahata's masterpiece 'Only Yesterday', the greatest animated film ever made.

• Upvote 4
Just now, Shoes said:

Dunno if they're new, but some Ghibli films are up now, the best of which is Isao Takahata's masterpiece 'Only Yesterday', the greatest animated film ever made.

They went up on the 1st, with more due on the first of March and April.

16 minutes ago, Shoes said:

Apart from My Neighbors The Yamadas, yes.

• Upvote 1