rllmuk
Marlowe

Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

1 hour ago, iknowgungfu said:

Really loved that series. Can't remember if it stayed true to the novels or not but certainly an entertaining show. 

Was more of a remix but as a huge fan of the novels I think it worked fine

20 hours ago, idiwa said:

I never watched SE1 because I thought I'd had been axed. Might give it a look now. 

S1 was terrible crap, but the setting is so alluring I'll have to check out S2.

Didn't it turn out the author of Altered Carbon was a massive bigot or something? Or am I thinking of someone else?

He's the guy from Norfolk, right?

EDIT: Yes, he went full Linehan last year. Seems to the point his Twitter account was suspended.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Popo said:

@deKay what has Graham Linehan said/done? 

There's a whole thread about it here somewhere, but basically, transphobia.

11 hours ago, Popo said:

@deKay what has Graham Linehan said/done? 

I don’t mind, as long as I can have a go at the Greeks. They invented gayness!

He hates my daughter and thinks she's a rapist. 

5 hours ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Yeah but he's a privileged white male so his opinion is invalid. 

Glinner is a demented nutcase.

• Upvote 4

I recommend Gladiator. No, it’s not the Russell Crowe movie, it’s an early nineties boxing movie from the director of Road House. The main lead is a bit wooden, but there’s great support from Cuba Gooding Jr., Robert Loggia and Brian Dennehy, the last one playing the villainous promoter of illegal boxing matches. It’s high cheese with a simple story, very eighties in feel. But if you like the Rocky movies, you’ll get a kick out of it. And yes, there is a montage or two.

• Upvote 1

Tyler Perry made his first movie under his Netflix deal (A Fall from Grace) and apparently people are finding it funny for all the wrong reasons. It was shot in 5 days and is full of errors. Mics on screen, people's hair changing between shots in a scene, some extra drinking from a clearly empty glass, etc.

I might have asked this before - but what's the point of the notifications I get from Netflix "people in your area are watching..."

Who cares what people in my geographically area is watching? It doesn't mean I'd like them

• Upvote 2

Is that an email or a notification in an app? I never got a notification like that and I have the settings set to not send any emails.

I think the problem is you’ve chosen to allow notifications from an app on your phone, which is a dumb thing to do for most apps, let alone a lean forward video on demand service.

19 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

The Witcher is bloody brilliant. I worry it’s not as big as it deserves. It hasn’t ‘broken out’ like Stranger Things did.

I wouldn't be too worried. It's apparently Netflix's most successful first season far, and they're already planning an animated Witcher movie along with a second season.

5 minutes ago, Mogster said:

I wouldn't be too worried. It's apparently Netflix's most successful first season far, and they're already planning an animated Witcher movie along with a second season.

They fiddled the stats for that though. They changed the criteria to “watched for more than 2 minutes” when Witcher was released. With Netflix I’m never confident they’ll take a show beyond 2 seasons.

On 12/01/2020 at 21:59, sammy said:

Anyone caught Cheer yet? Six part documentary following a top Texas cheerleading team in their search for another national title.  I thought it was really good, some incredible athleticism with a high risk of injury, and (mostly) likeable students and coach.  Definitely worth a watch.

Couldn’t see any other mentions of this. It’s really good and a great glimpse into a world I knew absolutely nothing about and wasn’t at all how I imagined it to be. 

I'd say Witcher seems to have been quite a big hit. Certainly a lot more discussion and cultural impact about it than, say, the first season of Game of Thrones had. I was the only person I knew who watched that at the time. It's forgotten now that that took off slowly. 

The phenomenal gulf in creative and cultural value between The Joker and Uncut Gems is enormous.

The Joker is a decent film relative to other superhero flicks. On the other hand, Uncut Gems is a modern masterpiece.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Omizzay said:

It's amazing.  My favourite movie of 2019.  Word of warning though - it's tense from beginning to the end and you will be shouting out loud at the main character.

I really can't believe that Adam Sandler was snubbed by not being nominated for the Oscars.  In my opinion, he's better than even Joaquin was. 

Yes indeed. Except for the detail that he was way better than Overactin' Phoenix.

Tomorrow is the biggest day for new Netflix stuff I can remember.

• Uncut Gems
  • The Taylor Swift docu
  • Last episodes of Bojack

It's like NetFlix designed a day of stuff just for me.