rllmuk
Marlowe

Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

I think if it had gone on for more than the 3 episodes I'd have grown to hate it. The two sleuths were a bit annoying and the visual style and editing, while initially fresh and entertaining, grows a bit wearying. But it didn't so overall I liked it quite lot. 

I "enjoyed" watching DFWC, although i am very surprised i never heard of any events when it was all kicking off.

Weirdly, i recall when I used to use chat roulette and every so often i got a video of a cat getting eaten by a snake. I assume this video was played by other people on the platform.

The two main sleuths, at first I assumed were actors. The guy (John Green) just reminded me of someone out of big bang theory or something.

If you want something different, watch El Bar. It's a Spanish... Thriller? Horror? 

A load of strangers get trapped in a coffee shop... Madness ensues. 

• Upvote 4

18 hours ago, APM said:

If you want something different, watch El Bar. It's a Spanish... Thriller? Horror? 

It’s by Álex de la Iglesia, who’s sort of like the Spanish Peter Jackson (circa Bad Taste/Meet the Feebles era.) 

His 1995 film Day of the Beast is still quite fun (a priest foretells the coming of the antichrist, and dedicates himself to evil, so that he’ll be in a position to meet and stop the beast and save the world). It’s basically just an excuse to have a priest do lots of naughty things like push nuns down stairs and listen to death metal. If they remade it now, it’d probably just be called Bad Priest. 

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, APM said:

I've posed you just because you ain't talking about that bloody cat thing

• Downvote 2
  • Empathy 1

8 minutes ago, sandman said:

I've posed you just because you ain't talking about that bloody cat thing

tumblr_mp4gq7CW1w1snsba1o1_400.gifv

So, everyone going on about the cat thing kinda worked on me. Started it earlier, an interesting documentary so far.

I hope it doesn't do the usual Netflix thing and outstay its welcome 

• Downvote 4

I realised I'd never actually seen Videodrome before so I watched it tonight. It's kind of blown my mind a bit.

• Upvote 8

3 hours ago, Benny said:

I realised I'd never actually seen Videodrome before so I watched it tonight. It's kind of blown my mind a bit.

Long live the new flesh. 

Absolute bona fide masterpiece. I could watch it every day and twice on sundays. 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Monkeyboy said:

Yep, it’s brilliant. And probably the best name for a character ever...

Reveal hidden contents

Brian O’ Blivion.

I see the new Roland Emmerich Midway films main character is called

Spoiler

Dick Best

:slowclap:

I’m sick with man flu today so lounged on the sofa and blitzed The Toys that Made Us. I was turned on to it thanks to the movies version and while the subject matter in the latter is more interesting it’s all just so funny, well edited and (most important when ill) easy to watch I'd recommend it to anyone. 

Did make me hanker for a second season of the movie version though! And they could easily do games in the future, I wouldn’t complain. 

• Upvote 2

Anyone caught Cheer yet? Six part documentary following a top Texas cheerleading team in their search for another national title.  I thought it was really good, some incredible athleticism with a high risk of injury, and (mostly) likeable students and coach.  Definitely worth a watch.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, idiwa said:

The Money Pit with Tom Hanks and Shelley Long has been added recently. Dated as fuck (1986) but christ some bits are so god dammed funny.

This is a timeless classic imho.

'Walter! Well, this is an unexpected revulsion' is probably my favourite Tom Hanks line in anything ever. It makes me laugh like a drain.

1 hour ago, idiwa said:

The Money Pit with Tom Hanks and Shelley Long has been added recently. Dated as fuck (1986) but christ some bits are so god dammed funny.

Its the film that finally sold me on Hanks. When he laughs incredulously at the bathtub falling through the floor it's so fucking charming. I used to love this film so much.

I've always struggled with Tom Hanks, I like Joe versus the Volcano and The Burbs but otherwise he's one of those actors that I don't understand why he's s big draw

• Upvote 1

It's received rave reviews almost across the board. If the dialogue looks bad I suspect that would be mostly down to the translation effort. (Netflix does not have a good track record in this regard if it's them doing it.)

It's a shame that Yimou went from making amazing films openly critical of the regime like Raise the Red Lantern to becoming a mouthpiece of the party and regime. It reminds me of how modernist artists had to change to the decreed state style in the Soviet Union or face imprisonment or worse. I sympathise as he's obviously been threatened in some way or another but it also makes me angry, fuck the Chinese State.

DC titans series 2 anyone....

Seems a bit, "surprised itself it got a second season and had to quickly write some shit". 

The wrap up episode to season 1 is a rather short then we're off to a new adventure with a whole backstory i must have missed in season 1. 

8 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

Mindhunter cast release from contract. It’s dead.

Fucksake.

not cancelled - some reports say that Fincher is too busy and committed to other projects so they've released the cast to let them work on other things - end result is the same, no season 3 of course.

A Netflix spokesperson explained: "David is focused on directing his first Netflix film Mank and on producing the second season of Love, Death and Robots.

"He may revisit Mindhunter again in the future, but in the meantime felt it wasn't fair to the actors to hold them from seeking other work while he was exploring new work of his own."

23 minutes ago, Gotters said:

not cancelled - some reports say that Fincher is too busy and committed to other projects so they've released the cast to let them work on other things - end result is the same, no season 3 of course.

A Netflix spokesperson explained: "David is focused on directing his first Netflix film Mank and on producing the second season of Love, Death and Robots.

"He may revisit Mindhunter again in the future, but in the meantime felt it wasn't fair to the actors to hold them from seeking other work while he was exploring new work of his own."

Same thing. Slim chance of securing all the actors again in future.

• Upvote 1