rllmuk
Marlowe

Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

6 hours ago, neoELITE said:

They don't show it. 

They don't show the actual cruelty, but they do show the videos up to a point and even though you don't see the animals die it's really upsetting just to know it happened and see the room, the animals, the method.  You can't unsee what you know is about to happen, even though you don't see it actually happen. 

It's more upsetting -using spoilers

Spoiler

A human is brutally murdered

This is what I found odd about the whole thing.

Spoiler

Nobody seems shocked about someone being killed and dismembered. 

It was recommended in here a while ago I think, but I’ve been watching Wild Wild Country. Three episodes in and it’s fantastic. I don’t think anything really prepared me for just how organised and self-sufficient they were. Sheela is damned charismatic as well.

• Upvote 6

Don't eff with cats was great but a couple of things. 

I've seen a certain important film to the plot loads of times and so I kinda knew a big plot twist which sullied it a bit. It was still put together really well. Like a taught thriller. Man on Wire really has changed the way documentaries are structured now.

The popularity of these documentaries and the relative failings of movies on Netflix, along with the huge difference in cost makes me worry it'll start to go this way. Obviously I'm always worrying about the death of cinema, but you can see why. Apparently only 40% of viewers finished The irishman at all. 

2 hours ago, Monkeyboy said:

It was recommended in here a while ago I think, but I’ve been watching Wild Wild Country. Three episodes in and it’s fantastic. I don’t think anything really prepared me for just how organised and self-sufficient they were. Sheela is damned charismatic as well.

That was my favourite of these documentary series. I was gripped.

43 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

Don't eff with cats was great but a couple of things. 

I've seen a certain important film to the plot loads of times and so I kinda knew a big plot twist which sullied it a bit. It was still put together really well. Like a taught thriller. Man on Wire really has changed the way documentaries are structured now.

The popularity of these documentaries and the relative failings of movies on Netflix, along with the huge difference in cost makes me worry it'll start to go this way. Obviously I'm always worrying about the death of cinema, but you can see why. Apparently only 40% of viewers finished The irishman at all. 

I’d say One Day In September was a much earlier example of the ‘documentary as thriller’. 

I think one of the great things about Netflix is the prominence it’s given documentaries - originally it was more because they needed lots of cheap content and they bulked out the catalogue. But now they’re actively feeding that pipeline with great original material, and there’s now a place for great feature length docs to get an audience that didn’t really exist outside of Storyville in the UK. I can’t really see any downside? 

That said, I did watch Don’t F*** With Cats, and as interesting as the story was, I really, really wish I hadn’t seen it. It’s really haunted me, especially as a cat owner. I think the doc was a bit irresponsible in what it showed tbh and they could have told the same story with less. 

28 minutes ago, jon_cybernet said:

I’d say One Day In September was a much earlier example of the ‘documentary as thriller’. 

Same producer incidentally. I think John Battsek is tragically unknown considering him impeccable taste. He's behind Sugarman, Imposter, One Day in September, Man on Wire, Maradonna, Whitney, Studio 54...

I agree that its been great for the beloved documentary but I fear the downside might be less money for feature films. Why make a £100m movie when you can make 5 3 part series that get double the audience?

I guess it the end of the day its just what people want, but as I keep saying, I'm not entirely sure giving people what they want is necessarily a good thing. Sometimes you need a bit of what you need. These shows are all very switch your brain off.

21 minutes ago, drmick said:

I'm disturbed by everybody's comments about the cat show- but what is it about and how can it involve the real life death of a person?

Watch it, it's a fascinating story.

28 minutes ago, drmick said:

I'm afraid to even Google it! I'm not watching it unaware.

Spoiler

Guy uploads a video of himself killing some cats. People online track him down. The guy eventually kills someone, again uploading the video.

Marriage Story broke me last night. There is an argument that happens two thirds through that is basically everything anyone has ever wanted to say, put beautifully and delivered flawlessly. 

Adam Driver is one of my favourite actors 

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

Marriage Story broke me last night. There is an argument that happens two thirds through that is basically everything anyone has ever wanted to say, put beautifully and delivered flawlessly. 

From what I've heard, if you've ever experienced a serious break up or break down in a relationship it's pretty hard hitting. 

16 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

I really liked 'Marriage Story' - funnily enough it's the really fucking weird karaoke at the end that I've revisited more than once, instead of the argument scene - but knowing that it's based on the directors own life makes it quite funny that his marriage broke down because he was too cool and interesting, because of course it did.

1 hour ago, Glasgowchivas said:

I really liked 'Marriage Story' - funnily enough it's the really fucking weird karaoke at the end that I've revisited more than once, instead of the argument scene - but knowing that it's based on the directors own life makes it quite funny that his marriage broke down because he was too cool and interesting, because of course it did.

I love the sondheim at the end. Its wonderful.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

That argument is absolutely beautiful.

The film really resonated with me. A marriage gone wrong. Things seem to happen in slow motion. It is so realistic. Every so often, you forget the situation you are in, and instinctly offer a moment of tenderness, like nothing has changed, out of habit. Like-

Spoiler

When he arrives at the parents house and kisses her

When she cuts his hair :(

When she ties his shoelace at the end :(

You have these split seconds of “‘maybe it will be ok”. Then reality hits back.

• Upvote 1

I watched the first ep and found it all a bit strange.

Spoiler

Did I miss something or did those two, Diane and John Green, decide Luka was the cat-killer because they got an anonymous email? So after totally hounding an innocent man in Namibia they go after this kid on the word of an internet stranger?

I doubt I'll watched more. I can't stand the way Netflix pad this stuff out.

1 hour ago, Silent Runner said:

I watched the first ep and found it all a bit strange.

Hide contents

Did I miss something or did those two, Diane and John Green, decide Luka was the cat-killer because they got an anonymous email? So after totally hounding an innocent man in Namibia they go after this kid on the word of an internet stranger?

I doubt I'll watched more. I can't stand the way Netflix pad this stuff out.

Yes pretty much. But that's all part of the central narrative 

I really want to watch the cat doc but I find animal cruelty extremely upsetting and cats are just... I couldn't pick a subject I'm more allergic too really. I did read stuff about the Croydon cat killer but the idea of seeing clips of these poor cats. I guess I want someone to say it's all fine and I'll be fine. Will I be fine?

25 minutes ago, barkbat said:

I really want to watch the cat doc but I find animal cruelty extremely upsetting and cats are just... I couldn't pick a subject I'm more allergic too really. I did read stuff about the Croydon cat killer but the idea of seeing clips of these poor cats. I guess I want someone to say it's all fine and I'll be fine. Will I be fine?

There's maybe 30 secs of cat clips in the whole series. There is far far more disturbing stuff in there though. 

• Upvote 1

After sticking on my must watch list got around to "The prospect" on Sunday evening. Looks like the had  about $100k for the budget and made a low key ,personal , dystopian sci -fi movie.

After watching  1. 5 seasons of Narcos & that season of GOT  I have deduced  that Pedro Pascal has more charisma in his thumbnail than  I have mustered in my life to this point  and again he's great in this.

I loved it and thought some of the low tech high tech was excellent and aesthetic were fantastic .Between this, Annihilation and Upgrade there's been some cracking sci fi over the last few  years.

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, barkbat said:

It doesn't actually graphically show the killing of cats at any point. Obviously it is discussed and parts of the clips are shown so at times is pretty upsetting, but never crosses the line for me. Also like Kerraig says the cat stuff is pretty much confined to episode 1 then it opens out into something much bigger. Its really really good.

• Upvote 1

On 22/12/2019 at 19:22, neoELITE said:

It's more upsetting -using spoilers

Reveal hidden contents

A human is brutally murdered

This is what I found odd about the whole thing.

Hide contents

Nobody seems shocked about someone being killed and dismembered. 

Spoiler

Only seen up to episode 2 but I did think that was very telling. I dislike animal cruelty but I hate human cruelty more. I wonder if she's ever invested anywhere near as much time into thinking about child poverty, human trafficking or prostitution (particularly in her region)..?

She didn't blink an eyelid when describing the human mutilation then as soon as the dog was mentioned completely broke down.

5 hours ago, lolly said:

After sticking on my must watch list got around to "The prospect" on Sunday evening. Looks like the had  about $100k for the budget and made a low key ,personal , dystopian sci -fi movie.

After watching  1. 5 seasons of Narcos & that season of GOT  I have deduced  that Pedro Pascal has more charisma in his thumbnail than  I have mustered in my life to this point  and again he's great in this.

I loved it and thought some of the low tech high tech was excellent and aesthetic were fantastic .Between this, Annihilation and Upgrade there's been some cracking sci fi over the last few  years.

I can’t find the prospect on UK Netflix?

8 hours ago, lolly said:

I bought this from Google movies last week for 1.99 (or you can rent for 0.99). Didn't realise it was on Netflix (is it?). It was excellent though, well worth a purchase & I'll be giving it a second watch over the holiday.