rllmuk
Marlowe

Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

Enjoyed "My Name is Dolemite" as well @Chadruharazzeb - thanks for putting it on my radar.

However, isn't this the second Eddie Murphy comeback with basically the same movie. I'm pretty sure his original comeback was in '99 with Bowfinger.

• Upvote 1

Really enjoyed the Films That Made Us Die Hard ep - one of my fave movies and knew it had a troubled story itself in coming to the screen, but never realised quite how much.

On 11/12/2019 at 11:56, hub2 said:

Enjoyed "My Name is Dolemite" as well @Chadruharazzeb - thanks for putting it on my radar.

It's great, but I must confess that I - and subsequently you - got the title a bit arse about face: of course it should be Dolemite Is My Name*

* (and fucking up motherfuckers is my game)

• Upvote 3

On 11/12/2019 at 19:20, Gotters said:

Really enjoyed the Films That Made Us Die Hard ep - one of my fave movies and knew it had a troubled story itself in coming to the screen, but never realised quite how much.

Well, the missus is at her work Christmas do tonight so that's my viewing choice made for me.

I love Die Hard.

• Upvote 1

The Films That Made Us is surprisingly good - what could have been a cheap, lazy and cliched piece of fluff is actually well made, full of interesting insight and presses all the right nostalgia buttons in the right order. Definitely recommended. 

• Upvote 1

I'm probably not the first to discover this, but if anyone else finds the auto-playing previews etc. in the UI endlessly irritating, it seems one benefit of setting an adult content PIN is that they no longer play.

• Upvote 8

6 underground is every bit as stupid and vulgar as you’d expect from a Bay film. And also brilliant. 
4 is the best. Some amazing parkour/free running - like a live action mirrors edge in parts. 

Though sadly lacking so far in the frankly excellent sneaker pimps song. 

• Upvote 1

On 05/12/2019 at 22:58, bradigor said:

Just finished watching Unbelievable. 

Toni Collette is a powerhouse of an actor. 

This is a superb (and rather sad) true story based series. Excellent acting from the 3 main female leads.

10 hours ago, And said:

6 underground is every bit as stupid and vulgar as you’d expect from a Bay film. And also brilliant. 
4 is the best. Some amazing parkour/free running - like a live action mirrors edge in parts. 

Conversely I thought it was absolute shit and only lasted 15 minutes. 

I watched Dolemite Is My Name instead and thought it was excellent. 

Iron Fists and Kung Fu Kicks is a nice look at the history & influence of kung fu films from the start through to the present day with YouTube action films.

• Upvote 1

We watched Jack Whitehall: Christmas with my Father last night. I really enjoyed the series though obviously some of it is staged, but his father is a brilliant dry comedian which helps things along. This special is like a live one-off stand up show, and while it has the occasional lol it's not so much fun on the TV as it might have been live. I think if I'd gone to see it it would have been great, but laughs too few and far between in the home for me. I'd say a fairly generous 6/10.

10 hours ago, Spleen said:

Conversely I thought it was absolute shit and only lasted 15 minutes. 

I managed about half an hour. It has to begin with the most boring 20 minute car chase I've seen.

Anyone watching this Don't Fuck with Cats doc?

‘Don’t F**k With Cats: Hunting an Internet Killer’ starts off with a mysterious person posting a horrific video of him asphyxiating two cats with vacuum-sealed bags, and a vacuum cleaner. The cruel act brings together a team of online amateur sleuths, who are determined to bring this cat killer to justice.

Almost finished the first episode, really interesting so far. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, wev said:

It doesn't show the video does it? @stephen129 don't think I could watch that if it does.

No, thank God. I was a bit worried about that. It does show the start of the video, but doesn't show the killing.

It is still quite upsetting though. Animal lovers will almost definitely get upset. 

Fascinating so far, also pretty fucked up. 

I'm on episode 2 atm.

A warning to anyone planning on watching it. Don't go into the episode list (there's three episodes) they have spoilers in the episode summaries.

Just finished episode two. This is gripping stuff. It's the new Making a Murderer. Everyone over Xmas will be asking "have you seen that cat thing on Netflix"?

Amazing stuff

Don't read anything about it. Don't watch trailers. Best watched without any knowledge about it.

• Upvote 1

I've been waiting for mid90s to turn up on either Prime or Netflix.  It's on Netflix now and it's really good.  Absolutely launched with no fanfare (I only found it by mistake despite having one eye open for it).  Recommended.

• Upvote 6

13 hours ago, stephen129 said:

Anyone watching this Don't Fuck with Cats doc?

Almost finished the first episode, really interesting so far. 

The missus and I binged all three episodes last night. I’m really glad we went in blind and luckily we didn’t know of the case at all. We didn’t exchange a single word between us during the three episodes, we were on the edge of our seats all the way to the end. Even though we finished as late as 1:30am I needed to watch something else before going to sleep to easy my state of mind, good grief that was three intense hours. 
my favourite true crime since MaM and The Jinx.

2 hours ago, Rayn said:

The missus and I binged all three episodes last night. I’m really glad we went in blind and luckily we didn’t know of the case at all. We didn’t exchange a single word between us during the three episodes, we were on the edge of our seats all the way to the end. Even though we finished as late as 1:30am I needed to watch something else before going to sleep to easy my state of mind, good grief that was three intense hours. 
my favourite true crime since MaM and The Jinx.

Yeah I finished it last night too. Pretty gripping stuff. My brain was working overtime too. I didn't sleep very well thinking about 

Spoiler

The second pair of hands in the snake video. Surely that means someone else was involved? 

It reminded me a bit of Dear Zachary which is also a crazy ride (another documentary that you should go in completely blind). Probably one of the most emotionally affecting things I've ever seen.

I've watched The Jinx which was pretty ridiculous at points 

Spoiler

(How he got away with multiple murders)

I've somehow not seen Making a Murderer even though every man and his dog has gone on about it. I don't like it when there aren't definite conclusions and I take it this is one of the worst programmes for that? 

I'd say that including the footage of the cats pre and post-killing is still quite distressing when you know what happened in between, so I would exercise caution.

Netflix should've put more of warning up. The number of times I see such warnings on other stuff that doesn't end up showing you much of anything lulled me into a bit of a false sense of security and I did find myself looking away at times. Admittedly, that comes from my own sensitivities that I can't even watch some cats being stroked/happy, whilst knowing that a gruesome death is imminent.

Aside from that, I so wish I didn't have any prior knowledge of the case, as I can imagine it being utterly compelling viewing if you don't.

Heed the warning up thread and skip the intro to avoid spoilers. You can skip in subsequent eps, but Netflix never let you on the first ep.

On 14/12/2019 at 22:12, And said:

If you liked the parkour bits, you should watch the Storror youtube channel (the guys in the film). They make some incredible stuff.

• Upvote 2

Watch Don't Fuck With Cats. Everything everyone says is right. It's better than most films about the same subject matter. I defy you to get to the end of episode one and not watch the rest in one sitting.

• Upvote 1