rllmuk
Marlowe

Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

14 minutes ago, El Geet said:

Just noticed The Irishman is on UK Netflix. Been meaning to watch that. 

Yeah, they just added it today worldwide. They produced it, the cinema release was just a short run.

On 27/11/2019 at 10:28, ZOK said:

I’ve ordered both, I understand there is stuff fleshed out and nastier in Death & Rebirth, so I’m up for that - and I got the dvd for £1.50 on eBay.

So I watched End of Evangelion, which was AMAZING - although I’m not sure if it’s more or less confusing than the original series ending in terms of understanding what happens. Probably more!

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, ZOK said:

So I watched End of Evangelion, which was AMAZING - although I’m not sure if it’s more or less confusing than the original series ending in terms of understanding what happens. Probably more!

It all makes sense. It’s just that they put all the official stuff explaining it in the supplementary material of a PS2 game instead of the series and film.

• Upvote 1

Along with a third batch of The Toys that Made Us, there's also The Movies that Made Us.

New toy episodes focus on TMNT, Power Rangers, My Little Pony and pro wrestling.

Movies are Dirty Dancing, Home Alone, Ghostbusters and Die Hard.

• Upvote 2

HappyMerryWhatever is offensively bad. I can’t believe Netflix produced it in 2019.

Dennis Quaid is an obnoxious boomer cunt with regressive values, and his family tiptoe around him whilst he bullies his daughter’s nerd boyfriend - obviously none of which is funny or heartwarming. Oh and then there’s some mild homophobia as well just so we know who’s side of the joke we’re supposed to be on. Fuck this show.

• Upvote 1

On 01/12/2019 at 20:26, Triple A said:

Movies that Made Us, Home Alone episode, was amazing.

That Dennis Quaid sit’com’, got turned off after 3 mins or so. Pony!

Just watched it  - enjoyed that. I'll have to watch the rest soon.

On 01/12/2019 at 20:26, Triple A said:

Movies that Made Us, Home Alone episode, was amazing.

After watching the four, I realised all four involved people who have been taken too soon.

Yeah I enjoyed that documentary. The way they exploited the death of Bruce Lee was shocking. :(

If anyone fancies some Hong Kong action after watching that I'd recommend Master Z: Ip Man Legacy. Some spectacular fight work in that with Dave Bautista as your top villain. 

18 minutes ago, Gambit said:

Yeah I enjoyed that documentary. The way they exploited the death of Bruce Lee was shocking. :(

If anyone fancies some Hong Kong action after watching that I'd recommend Master Z: Ip Man Legacy. Some spectacular fight work in that with Dave Bautista as your top villain. 

I’d never seen that movie with the car and the little girl being grabbed the hair and the car reversing a lot,  till last night.

Hong Kong cinema did not give a shit did it. 

11 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

That may be the best synopsis for a film I've ever seen.

It’s a description of a scene/stunt from a movie I don’t know. Turns up in that kung fu doc.  It’a a crazy stunt tbh hence me calling it out. 

On 02/11/2019 at 21:37, ckny said:

Watched ‘Arctic’ last night, stars Mads Mikkelson in what is essentially a one man silent film. It’s brutal and awesome. Highly recommended.

Agree! Thanks for the recommendation. Great little film.

• Upvote 1

My Name is Dolemite is brilliant fun, almost exactly the same formula as Ed Wood or The Disaster Artist but that's not really a complaint. Great performances all round but special mention must go to Snipes, that guy has been away too long.

• Upvote 4

Just watched The Confession Killer. I'd seen the killer Henry Lucas on various things over the years (he's pretty recognizable) and knew there was controversy around his supposed killings and confessions but nothing like the extent to what is shown in this show. Pretty crazy story and well worth a watch.

• Upvote 1

Just watched Marriage Story and thought it was great. I haven't always loved Noah Baumbach's previous work but this really resonated. Incredible ensemble cast and some of the most memorable scenes I've seen in quite some time, most notably the serving of the divorce papers which was A+ farce and one particularly brutal argument that reminded me of the explosive argument Tony and Carmella had in season 5 of The Sopranos - high praise indeed. 

• Upvote 6

17 minutes ago, Majora said:

Just watched Marriage Story and thought it was great. I haven't always loved Noah Baumbach's previous work but this really resonated. Incredible ensemble cast and some of the most memorable scenes I've seen in quite some time, most notably the serving of the divorce papers which was A+ farce and one particularly brutal argument that reminded me of the explosive argument Tony and Carmella had in season 5 of The Sopranos - high praise indeed. 

Watched this this evening and thought it was completely brilliant, stunning acting all round

7 hours ago, Majora said:

Whereas I thought it was very stagey ACTING like you see in the theatre. Always involves SHOUTING and then a bit where the actors pant breathe.

I felt nothing for it at all and can't understand the praise except for the actors playing lawyers.

6 hours ago, Festoon said:

Whereas I thought it was very stagey ACTING like you see in the theatre. Always involves SHOUTING and then a bit where the actors pant breathe.

I felt nothing for it at all and can't understand the praise except for the actors playing lawyers.

Even though I thought it was great all round, you are right the lawyers are the strongest part. Laura Dern's character and acting is great. ( Got a 'No way!' from my wife when I said 'Jurassic Park' when they turned up :))

Out of all the complaints that could be made about the film (and I don't think it was perfect) the acting is probably the one I could least understand. There's at least three Oscar nomination worthy performances in there but everyone was brilliant really.

Laura Dern was a total hoot but probably less impressive if you've seen Big Little Lies as it's essentially the exact same type of performance.

• Upvote 3