rllmuk
Marlowe

Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

One of Carpenter's most underrated films. I could happily watch the fight in the alleyway on a loop for the film's running time. :)

There's lots of great Carpenter stuff up there; Big Trouble, Escape from New York and Precinct 13. No Halloween though.

The Oscar-shortlisted documentary Bill Cunningham New York is good too, very light (as you'd expect with it's focus on the fashion world) but you can't help but fall in love with the eponymous Cunningham - the 80 year old photographer for the New York Times who cycles around Manhattan taking photos of what people are wearing on the streets. It could do with a few more questions into his personal life and his upbringing, which is only touched upon briefly near the end, but it put a smile on my face almost throughout - a good man doing what he loves.

Thanks for this, Ben. Really enjoyed it.

Has anyone seen The Universe of Keith Haring? Might give that a go at some point.

I saw Downfall the other day on Netflix. It's the story of the last days of Hitler's life and I guess it would fall under "Drama". You're all probably very familiar with one of its scenes as it's the "Angry Hitler" scene used in comedy YouTube clips. The film itself had a really haunting experience on me. All the previous films I'd watched had the Nazis as being pretty powerful, with just the presence of a Nazi officer causing fear, that opening scene of Inglorious Basterds being the main example. Naturally this isn't the case in the last days of Hitler and it's really fascinating because you see each person as a person rather than what their uniform is. You genuinely feel bad for some of them, others are shown to be complete cunts in and out of uniform etc. It really humanised the Nazis for me. Fantastic film I thought, I really recommend it.

• Upvote 1

Not sure I understand this - are these films not aavailable on UK Netflix unless you do some kind of proxy trick?

Thanks for the neg, someone, but you haven't answered the question: Is this a list of films and TV things which are not open to UK users unless they do some kind of trick?

Ithankyou :hat:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Some will be available on both, some US only and some stuff (like Californacation) is UK only. I think the only way to check is to search on a non-DNS’d machine. I don’t think there’s a UK version of instantwatcher.

There's also hundreds of SNL episodes, if that's your thing.

For years I've wished SNL was broadcast over here, but now after watching one or two it seems a bit....stilted and unfunny? Maybe I'm just watching the wrong ones? There is as you say hundreds.

For years I've wished SNL was broadcast over here, but now after watching one or two it seems a bit....stilted and unfunny? Maybe I'm just watching the wrong ones? There is as you say hundreds.

It does seem to be mostly shit with a real gem here and there.

I'm just watching the compilations. There seems to be more of them on the UK netflix.

I mostly spent my time on the US Netflix watching King of the Hill and Archer. I was sad when I got home and they weren't on the UK one. Not tried this magic trick to get the US one to work yet though.

Bad Boy Bubby is on the US one. An excellent Australian dark comedy about a man who has grown up never leaving his dirty, poverty striken home where his only companion is his mother. She dies and he is forced to make his way out into the wide world.

Marwencol is on there too but I haven't had a chance to see it yet. Acclaimed documentary about a guy who is brain damaged after an accident who spends his time in this imaginary model World War II town he built in his back garden

Storage wars is amazing.

Brandi would totally get it

I :wub: Brandi Passante. She has some great one-liners too.

Storage Wars is probably the Best TV programme ever.

Also, I watched Troll Hunter as I'd heard good things about it. I was a little disappointed, but it was still pretty good. It was spoilt a bit by streaming issues causing it to buffer fairly frequently.

I've noticed Monsters is on there, which is a great film. Also Rubber, which is a very odd film, and I'm still not sure if it's complete genius or complete drivel.

We're also watching our way through 'Weeds', which seems pretty good (and is on UK site, too).

The second series of Storage Wars finished just a couple of days ago in the states. Hopefully it will arrive on Netflix soon. Me and the OH watched 5 back to back the other night.

Yyyyyyyeeeepppppp!

I :wub: Brandi Passante. She has some great one-liners too.

Storage Wars is probably the Best TV programme ever.

Also, I watched Troll Hunter as I'd heard good things about it. I was a little disappointed, but it was still pretty good. It was spoilt a bit by streaming issues causing it to buffer fairly frequently.

I've noticed Monsters is on there, which is a great film. Also Rubber, which is a very odd film, and I'm still not sure if it's complete genius or complete drivel.

We're also watching our way through 'Weeds', which seems pretty good (and is on UK site, too).

I'm watching Weeds too, liking it a lot. Though it does seem comfortable to skim along without digging too deeply into any of the subject matter.