Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

On 13/09/2019 at 21:52, multiclunk said:

2 into Netflix's restart/takeover  of Top Boy and it's been great so far. Gripped already. 

Was worried about it being so long since I watched the 2x C4 series that I'd forgotten most of the backstory, but so far it's ploughing its own furrow and I don't think going in without having seen them would be much of a disadvantage - some of the characters & geographics are the same, but apart from that, it seems to be its own thing.

Totally in for this

I kind of can't believe it doesn't have its own thread on here. I smashed through the new season in two sittings and have started a rewatch of season 1 (which is now on Netflix as Top Boy Summerhouse, for those that haven't seen it). I was worried they would have lost the magic since it was cancelled but I actually felt it reached new heights during this season. My favourite British drama by far.

• Upvote 4
12 minutes ago, JohnC said:

They made a bit of an early announcement. Seinfeld is coming to Netflix, worldwide, in 2021. Includes 4K.

Great news - I just need Frasier back on the UK/Irish service again and I will never unsubscribe as I bounce between both shows for the rest of my life. 

1 hour ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

It's on channel 4 literally every single morning. 

Cbeebies owns the TV at that time in my household at the weekends. During the week, I’m commuting so it’s very rare I get my Frasier fix in a broadcast format. The anytime convenience is what’s important to me. 

15 hours ago, Kingpin said:

Great news - I just need Frasier back on the UK/Irish service again and I will never unsubscribe as I bounce between both shows for the rest of my life. 

Was it ever on Netflix over here? 

Frasier is still the only thing I watch on US Netflix. 

Why cant I get proper subtitles for foreign shows on Netflix? If you watch in the original language the only choice seems to be subtitles for the hard of hearing. Is this right? How come people aren't up in arms over it? I can hear when a phone is ringing on a show, I just want the speech shown so I can see what is being said.

7 hours ago, Kingpin said:

Cbeebies owns the TV at that time in my household at the weekends. During the week, I’m commuting so it’s very rare I get my Frasier fix in a broadcast format. The anytime convenience is what’s important to me. 

Frasier is absolutely butchered on Channel 4 in the mornings, with feed lines left in and punchines removed, removing some offensive language that isn't really especially offensive at all.  Most jarring is when they cut something out and use the audience laughter as the edit point.

martin:"im going fishing with Duke”

Audience laughs enormously for no reason.

They do the same with friends on Channel 5 too, i think they cut for content and also time constraints. Whole scenes missing, payoffs for jokes you didnt see the setup for and everything about 10% than if you watch it on Netflix. Not sure if that is  a cunning way to show more adverts or its a pal/ntsc thing but they make it very offputting to watch.

1 hour ago, sandman said:

Why cant I get proper subtitles for foreign shows on Netflix? If you watch in the original language the only choice seems to be subtitles for the hard of hearing. Is this right? How come people aren't up in arms over it? I can hear when a phone is ringing on a show, I just want the speech shown so I can see what is being said.

Apparently it's to do with the version sent to Netflix by distributers, as to whether it has hard coded subs or not. Netflix doesn't like to make the effort with non encoded subs so you get closed captioning or none at all in many cases. It's shit for foreign language films and even worse for ones that are in English but supposed to have snatches of other language dialogue. Snowpiercer for example - No subtitles where it's supposed to have them and otherwise all in English. Which basically destroys the dialogue of two central characters unless you turn on CC subs for everything.

Regarding Top Boy, is the new series a continuation of the Summerhouse one? Only the new series is called 'Top Boy: Season 1' whilst the other ones are called 'Top Boy: Summerhouse' - seasons 1 & 2. They look like different programmes, at least the way that Netflix is listing them.

Should I watch the Summerhouse series first, or is the new Top Boy a new set of characters or a different setup?

On 18/09/2019 at 14:26, NickC said:

Regarding Top Boy, is the new series a continuation of the Summerhouse one? Only the new series is called 'Top Boy: Season 1' whilst the other ones are called 'Top Boy: Summerhouse' - seasons 1 & 2. They look like different programmes, at least the way that Netflix is listing them.

Should I watch the Summerhouse series first, or is the new Top Boy a new set of characters or a different setup?

Yes. From the imdb page, Dris, Sully, Dushane reprise their roles for series 3, but seems to be generally newer characters overall: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1830379/

You could always backtrack to watch the earlier seasons at a later time after having watched the new season?

• Upvote 1
On 17/09/2019 at 16:44, dumpster said:

Frasier is absolutely butchered on Channel 4 in the mornings, with feed lines left in and punchines removed, removing some offensive language that isn't really especially offensive at all.  Most jarring is when they cut something out and use the audience laughter as the edit point.

martin:"im going fishing with Duke”

Audience laughs enormously for no reason.

They do the same with friends on Channel 5 too, i think they cut for content and also time constraints. Whole scenes missing, payoffs for jokes you didnt see the setup for and everything about 10% than if you watch it on Netflix. Not sure if that is  a cunning way to show more adverts or its a pal/ntsc thing but they make it very offputting to watch.

It's bizarre that Frasier is on for 25 minutes on Channel 4 - including adverts. The original running time of the US shows were 21-23 minutes long, meaning both in the UK and US they were 30 minutes including adverts (although the US broadcasts did that bizarre thing were the program would segue straight from the credits of the previous program, then the first commercial break would be after the short 2-3 minute "intro" sketch. )

There surely can't be 5 minutes of scenes in each episode needing to be cut due to the time of day and I'm not sure why they've gone for 25 minutes.

3 hours ago, APM said:

Marianne, Marianne, Marianne! Everyone go and watch it!

We finished it earlier this week. It kinda veered between comedy and decent horror, but Emma herself was such a genuinely nasty piece of work that it dampened my enthusiasm for it on a whole. I hope they leave it at the one series. 

5 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

We finished it earlier this week. It kinda veered between comedy and decent horror, but Emma herself was such a genuinely nasty piece of work that it dampened my enthusiasm for it on a whole. I hope they leave it at the one series. 

I get what you're saying about Emma, but...

Spoiler

When you have the flashback episode that shows why she had to do what she did, I had a real sense of empathy and sympathy for her. I mean, she became a cunt, wrote that about her mother, to save everyone, but she couldn't say anything. I thought that was really well handled.

Yeah and I agree to a degree, but the fact she 

Spoiler

chases after and fucked her married-with-kids friend in the last episode was the final nail in the coffin for me. I mean, it turns out it wasn't him anyway, but that's not the point.

I think they could have made her character far more empathetic and not lost anything with the story. As it stands, it soured me to the show a bit. 

Still, it had some great and effective horror scares. The "Turn over" bit in the first episode being my favourite. 

On 18/09/2019 at 14:26, NickC said:

Watch the originals first they are connected and contain some of the same characters, plus it's really good and only 8 episodes for both 1&2 so it's like a single season really.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, gone fishin' said:

It's bizarre that Frasier is on for 25 minutes on Channel 4 - including adverts. The original running time of the US shows were 21-23 minutes long, meaning both in the UK and US they were 30 minutes including adverts (although the US broadcasts did that bizarre thing were the program would segue straight from the credits of the previous program, then the first commercial break would be after the short 2-3 minute "intro" sketch. )

There surely can't be 5 minutes of scenes in each episode needing to be cut due to the time of day and I'm not sure why they've gone for 25 minutes.

Just checked this and the freeview program guide has them at 30 mins including adverts. But i don't know who does the edits because they come across like someone did them in Windows Movie Maker . Really ham fisted with apparently no attempt to disguise the joins. Makes watching them really frustrating because you know there is a joke missing and if you google the scripts it is usually something fairly inocuous. Its weird that ITV showed families fighting and swearing at each other on Jeremy Kyle whilst Frasier has a whole joke removed because someone says sonovabitch.

12 hours ago, ckny said:

Not seen any talk about Unbelievable on here. It’s good, really good. Hard to watch in places given the subject matter but has some superb Performances and a great script. Highly recommended.

I started this but got about three or four episodes in before stopping as it just felt like a channel 5 procedural cop show to me