rllmuk
Marlowe

Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

15 hours ago, idiwa said:

Hunter Killer (Jezza Butler submarine flick) is now on Netflix. 

Utter gash! (Exactly what you'd expect)

Watched it last night. Utter tripe. Enjoyed it well enough in parts.

Rust Valley Restorers seems great one ep in, if you like a Wheeler Dealer-ish type thing. Looks great in 4K too.

EDIT: its great, I love it.

• Upvote 1

I can't remember seeing this mentioned in this thread, but there's a film called Spotlight worth watching on Netflix. It's the true story of the reporters who exposed the catholic church's child abuse cover ups in Boston, which ultimately led to them being exposed all round the world. I thought it was really good, had a good courtroom feel to it, despite it not being a courtroom drama. And treated the, obviously delicate, subject matter with appropriate respect.

Massive trigger warning, it is quite harrowing, even though it's simply reporters digging for the truth. 

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

11 minutes ago, ckny said:

Dude, it won the Best Picture Oscar just three years ago. Really good film, just not exactly a hidden gem :)

Ha! No way. Shows how out of touch I am!

I watched Power of Greyskull this evening which is a definitive documentary of He-Man and the Masters of The universe.  Well worth 90 minutes of your time if like me your childhood involved playing with the toys.

• Upvote 1

I'm sure it's been mentioned before but Kim's Convenience  is great,  it's pretty light , funny and with a lot of heart. Half way through season 2  at the moment.

• Upvote 1

The great thing about streaming Blade Runner 2049 is that when it buffers, no one will notice given its soporific pacing.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3
  • Empathy 3

34 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

Finished Mindhunter. S+ ranked TV. Not sure what to watch next.

If you want something in the same theme, you should check out Manhunt: The Unabomber, excellent show.

Or if you want a new show, The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance is out today and currently sitting on 85 rating on Metacritic.

• Upvote 3

I'm quite enjoying the third season of 13 reasons why. The murder mystery story arc has some nice twists and turns. It's interesting how they've given the villain from the 1st two seasons some redeeming qualities too. I'm not sure what fans of the first seasons will make of that, not sure what to make of it myself, but it was certainly unexpected. 

Carol and Tuesday came out today. Made by the people responsible for Cowboy Bebop and Space Dandy, it has an interesting futuristic setting but is mostly focussed on music. Sort of like Macross but not, really.

I'm sure you all know about it, but how many people actually watch Queer Eye?

It's unremittingly positive television.  With genuinely heartfelt messages of support and self care.   It's such lovely TV.

• Upvote 6

I adore Queer Eye. Someone upthread notes that they probably release new seasons too quickly and I’d tend to agree, it would be better appreciated given room to breath. But yes, unequivocally joyous. 

• Upvote 3

On 24/08/2019 at 18:06, JohnC said:

Anyone seen or heard anything about Hyperdrive? When I saw it coming soon, I thought they got that dodgy BBC sitcom from a while back, but turns out it's some sort of flashy car driving competition.

Watching it now and it's typical American TV competition stuff with really annoying commentators.

It's basically Ninja Warrior with cars

• Upvote 1

It's basically Ninja Warrior with cars for sure, but if you can get past the annoying, don't-know-very-much commentators the programme itself is surprisingly good for this sort of thing.

The first few episodes, which are all qualifiers, have too many duffers in them that obviously can't drive. But when you get to the second phase and onwards, my wife and I really enjoyed it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Uncle Mike said:

It's basically Ninja Warrior with cars for sure, but if you can get past the annoying, don't-know-very-much commentators the programme itself is surprisingly good for this sort of thing.

The first few episodes, which are all qualifiers, have too many duffers in them that obviously can't drive. But when you get to the second phase and onwards, my wife and I really enjoyed it.

My eldest daughter has really gotten into it, the fact theres a few women doing well in the initial two episodes probably helps with that, so we'll definitely be persevering with it

One of the things I found notable about it was that they'd clearly made an effort to find women that wouldn't just make up the numbers, but could actually compete. A plus point.

On 31/08/2019 at 09:48, Bucky said:

I'm sure you all know about it, but how many people actually watch Queer Eye?

It's unremittingly positive television.  With genuinely heartfelt messages of support and self care.   It's such lovely TV.

What's it about?

22 minutes ago, Stanley said:

What's it about?

Five guys helping people get through some shit. It’s superb.

• Upvote 1

Thanks I'll give it a try, I saw someone being interviewed who is a presenter on the show, an Asian guy, and I really liked him - just couldn't work out what the show was about!

I'm sure everyone already knows it's on there now, but get the new Dark Crystal series watched. It's a magical journey of sheer visual craftsmanship if nothing else.

21 minutes ago, Benny said:

I'm sure everyone already knows it's on there now, but get the new Dark Crystal series watched. It's a magical journey of sheer visual craftsmanship if nothing else.

I watched one last night, having never seen the film and thought it looked great but I wasn’t gripped. Will try another coupe to see how I get on.