rllmuk
Marlowe

Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

I guess I'll just have to queue up a YouTube compilation of the end credits sequences to watch after each episode.

On 22/06/2019 at 00:32, Meh said:

Holy shit, it's actually in HD!

Except episode 16 it seems. Quite jarringly so.

On 20/06/2019 at 00:16, APM said:

Just watched this. Fantastic. 

Add me to the list, just watched it. The Guilty is one of the best films I've seen this year, a very well done small-scale thriller. I think the main actor is on screen the whole duration and in close-up for nearly as long, brilliant performance. 

One of my favourite things about netflix is how easy it is to watch films like this that used to require buying some expensive dvd if you even heard about it. 

On 25/06/2019 at 17:45, deerokus said:

Add me to the list, just watched it. The Guilty is one of the best films I've seen this year, a very well done small-scale thriller. I think the main actor is on screen the whole duration and in close-up for nearly as long, brilliant performance. 

One of my favourite things about netflix is how easy it is to watch films like this that used to require buying some expensive dvd if you even heard about it. 

I also thought it was fantastic. Also, I was very surprised to be able to recognise the main female voice on the phone as the religious kid from The Rain.

I recommend Charité at War. I tried watching the original series set earlier when learning German but didn’t get into it. The addition of Nazis in this one has had the usual effect of spicing it up enough to be gripping. 

6 episodes and very watchable. 

Has anyone recommended Jim & Andy: The Great Beyond? Stumbled on it last night and thought it was excellent. If you enjoyed Man on the Moon, think of it as extended special extra. I have no idea if Jim Carey's claims that the videos were embargoed for 20 years are true but still really interesting

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7214762

• Upvote 2

I'd never seen Evangelion.  Anime series were never part of my viewing habits in the 90's.

I'm 10 or so episodes in. Really enjoying it. I love recurring fight build up music, followed by a usually incompetent battle. :)

Enjoying the hell out of Brooklyn Nine Nine at the moment, partway through season 2.

Has anyone given that 7 Seeds a go yet?

I know this is for releases and recommendations, but for anyone who pays for Sky and for Netflix, I managed to add it onto my Sky account for an extra £2 a month, price locked for 18 months. I added my current Netflix (4K UHD) subscription through the Sky Q box, which kept me on the same package and it works exactly the same as before, but it's saving me a tenner a month.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/sky-ultimate-on-demand-sky-box-sets-and-netflix-3258175

• Upvote 2

Yeah, it’s a normal Netflix subscription, same account you have now. It’s just a deal on the billing end of things. 

• Upvote 1

Watched The guilty last night after it being recommended on here and loved it. Fantastic film with such a small cast of characters, locations and obviously a miniscule budget. 

One thing that annoyed me was the subtitles. There seemed to be only close caption subtitles available. Having a subtitle for a phone ringing annoyed me more than it should have.  

• Upvote 1

Season 4 of Queer Eye is out today. I love it but it feels a bit like they are churning them out a bit too often with a fourth season coming out only a year and a half since the first. 

• Upvote 1

Neon Genesis Evangelion and The End of Evangelion, have blown my mind this week. What a ride. Just dropped about £80 on Blu-rays for the three movies out so far. I want answers!

For background - I enjoyed anime in the Manga Video VHS era of the early-to-mid 90s during high-school, but some Ghibli stuff aside I dropped off and missed the initial release of NGE, although I had heard bits about its themes etc. here and there.

I ended up trying an episode via Netflix and carried on with it.

Part of me can’t stand NGE but it feels like a masterpiece at the same time.

It feels so much like a thing of contradictions (not unlike Japan itself then), simultaneously;

- puerile yet mature

- deviant yet pure

- low production yet high production

- superficial yet deep

- half-baked yet well thought-through

- super nerdy yet super cool

- etc.

Even if you're not known for giving anime a go I'd urge you try this, the main reason being that it has some big ideas that feel refreshing, for me at least.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Monkeyboy said:

Money Heist part 3 has been added. Enjoyed the first two parts, so hopefully the third one is just as preposterous!

I completely forgot this was getting another series! That’s weekend TV sorted.

8 hours ago, spork said:

Season 4 of Queer Eye is out today. I love it but it feels a bit like they are churning them out a bit too often with a fourth season coming out only a year and a half since the first. 

But! It's a better series than the last.