rllmuk
Marlowe

Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

Flipping heck, I Am Mother is a disappointing snoozefest, isn’t it? As in it’s a glacial but very decent build up to about half way then the plot realises it’s completely out of runway ideaswise and there’s still an hour to fill so crash lands the whole thing into nonsense territory instead.

What a stylish waste of two hours. 

• Upvote 2

The Season finale of The Society got me so mad.

Not content with the realities of Trump and Brexit, the fucking alt-right are now screwing with my Netflix!

I remember the days when dystopian fantasy wasn’t playing catch-up.

Is that the Gaspar Noe film? I can never remember if he's an arch troll like Lars von Trier or just horrible.

2 hours ago, Benny said:

Is that the Gaspar Noe film? I can never remember if he's an arch troll like Lars von Trier or just horrible.

That's the one. Starring my buddy Sofia Boutella (horrid namedrop but I'm so stoked for her). 

It's fucking amazing. Although completely horrible.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Still one of the most tense and exciting sci-fi films of all time. Other than some of the animation, hasn't really aged one bit. Also: watching it with a good pair of headphones I've been struck by just how terrifying the Terminator's metal and servos moving in the closing scenes are.

The Terminator is one of the most effective horror movies ever made. Weirdly, the terrible stop motion at the end adds to the horror now. I remember i had this girlfriend, Yasmine, who was too young for me, so had never seen stop motion before. Or maybe even a comp plate. But the upshot of that was, when the Terminator comes for Sarah Connor at the end, she freaked the fuck out, going WHAT!!!!

I'm gonna have to watch it now you bastard

There is a sequence at 19 mins in that is more effective than potentially 90% of modern films at evoking a sci fi moment. And it is done with zero CGI. 

Plus. Oh gosh, that music.

• Upvote 1

I had a friend once that thought it was hilarious that I preferred the original film to Terminator 2. Now an ex friend.

• Upvote 9

There's just so much to admire. There's next to no dialogue in the first act.

It's so far ahead of everything else at the time its nuts.

Everything Sarah Connor related in act 1 is dayglo. The fact she rides a scooter to show her vulnerability... the B story of good detective (young Lance henrikson!), the fact that all characters have a real arc. 

Uh, its just so sophisticated.

Its so refreshing to watch a movie that would allow the whole first half to be mystery. 

• Upvote 2

Sarah Connor actually develops her arc from vulnerable but very human to capable badassery with really subtle shifts throughout. Like the scene where she's starting to finally accept her new reality while giving Reese what turns out to be a no nonsense and competent field dressing, that she didn't even know she was capable of doing. Or even later on where they shift roles without skipping a beat where she drives fast so Kyle can lob some pipe bombs. It's the epitome of show, don't tell.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

The Terminator is one of the most effective horror movies ever made. Weirdly, the terrible stop motion at the end adds to the horror now. 

Absolutely this. There is something really off about the terminator once the stop motion kicks in that just added to the non-human, unstoppable machine-ness. 

Coincidentally I rewatched Salvation last night, what a pile of dogshit that was, not Genisys level, but awful none the less. Dark Fate is going to have all the stale callbacks and killer robots throwing people about instead of just instantly murdering them isn't it. :(

4 hours ago, Cool Ben said:

|I watch The 6th Day yesterday. It's actually not as bad as I remember and I quite enjoyed it.

I watched it for the 1st time and it thought it was anus. The CGI was constant and of a low quality.

37 minutes ago, DC said:

I watched it for the 1st time and it thought it was anus. The CGI was constant and of a low quality.

You have to forgive a 20 year old film for the CGI surely.

In comparison to the shitfest of Marvel bollocks at least it was something different.  Not saying it was a good film, but it was OK.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

On 18/06/2019 at 14:35, Camel said:

I watched Climax. It's brilliantly shot but fucking horrible. Definitely not recommended.

Cool soundtrack though right? Dopplereffekt! Had me stoked and I know you like your electro too (or maybe I confused you with another poster if so sorry!). It is pretty silly at points and some of the things the characters do is beyond absurd even if they're tripping balls but I enjoyed it, Noe is great with the camera and style.

On 10/06/2019 at 20:15, kempstar said:

The Guilty is now on Netflix! Its an excellent Danish(?) film, about a police officer who gets demoted for doing something wrong, and made to work on the dispatch phones.

Almost the entire film is him talking on the phone, in one location.

I loved it.

Just watched this. Fantastic. 

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Cool Ben said:

You have to forgive a 20 year old film for the CGI surely.

In comparison to the shitfest of Marvel bollocks at least it was something different.  Not saying it was a good film, but it was OK.

The worst Marvel “shitfest” I’ve seen is a much better film than this, regardless of how oversaturated they’ve become.

I think the CGI looked worse than effects in much older films.

30 minutes ago, DC said:

The worst Marvel “shitfest” I’ve seen is a much better film than this, regardless of how oversaturated they’ve become.

In your opinion.  I haven't managed to finish one since the 90s

Not the right argument to have with someone that calls themselves DC :blush:

6 minutes ago, Cool Ben said:

In your opinion.  I haven't managed to finish one since the 90s

Not the right argument to have with someone that calls themselves DC :blush:

Everything I post is ‘in my opinion’.

My username is nothing to do with comics.

Neon Genesis Evangelion is on Netflix?!

In HD?!

With 5.1 audio?!

Fuck me!!

I haven't seen the original series since I was in college and bought each English dubbed, two episode volume of the VHS (13 X £13.99!!) from HMV.

Not even going to bother adding it to my list. Just going to watch it all tonight (well, except episodes 25 & 26 :D)

• Upvote 1

What's up with Netflix? Evangelion didn't even show up in any of my selections. I had to do a search for it myself to even find it.

Looking forward to watching it all over again. I genuinely love this song from End of Evangelion:

4 hours ago, teddymeow said:

Neon Genesis Evangelion is on Netflix?!

In HD?!

With 5.1 audio?!

Fuck me!!

I haven't seen the original series since I was in college and bought each English dubbed, two episode volume of the VHS (13 X £13.99!!) from HMV.

Not even going to bother adding it to my list. Just going to watch it all tonight (well, except episodes 25 & 26 :D)

Just out of interest what's wrong with those episodes?

They ran out of time and money, AFAIK. They barely have any animation. I vaguely remember a scene where a character was running to school or something, and that was the only finished-looking scene in the entirety of two episodes :lol:

Still, don't let that put you off. It's fantastic - and there's End of Evangelion to watch afterwards, which is pretty fucked up and amazing.

Netflix Japan is the only region that has the Fly Me To The Moon end-credits scenes, though, weirdly. Dicks.