rllmuk
Marlowe

Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

Having watched a few episodes of What If...  oh god it's a stinker. Beautiful, terrible soap actors with better colour grading.

The script is the most unnatural thing I've ever heard. It's like the words of someone desperate to appear more articulate and intelligent than they are. I counted four consecutive scenes with forced literary quotes.

And there's a huge amount of 'Shift+F7 writing' where a commonplace word would have sounded perfect, but they've opted for a thesaurus option that sounds broken.

Zellweger was almost unrecognisable too. I thought they'd found someone who just looked a bit like her.

I can't stop watching The Unauthorized Bash Brothers Experience.  The first half/set of songs is better than the second, but it's all gravy. Oakland Nights with Sterling K Brown bopping around in a kimono and grabbing his crotch makes me lose my shit every time! 

• Upvote 3

Romcom starring and written by Ali Wong and Randall Park, Always be my Maybe came out yesterday. Randall Park was Kim Jong-Un in The Interview. 

I like Park and have a crush on Wong so I was keen anyway but it’s worth a watch for the AMAZING CAMEO about half way in, which beats

Spoiler

Bill Murray

in Zombieland. It completely unbalances the film but it’s worth it. 

• Upvote 2

On 25/05/2019 at 20:54, Wizcat said:

The Perfection caught my attention with the trailer. Really mixed bag though and takes some pretty serious sharp turns along the plot. Started off really well, but when the tangents start I was ready for coming on here and slating it, but then it twists again and makes a bit of a recovery towards the end. 

If you like trashy horror then probably worth a watch. 

I thought this was fucking excellent and one of the best things I’ve seen on Netflix.

• Upvote 4

When They See Us.

This is a mini series that will not leave my consciousness for a good while. I’d heard of the Central Park Five but didn’t know the details. For one, I didn’t know they were kids! This is a gut punch of a series that is painful and difficult to watch. But absolutely essential viewing.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, ckny said:

When They See Us.

This is a mini series that will not leave my consciousness for a good while. I’d heard of the Central Park Five but didn’t know the details. For one, I didn’t know they were kids! This is a gut punch of a series that is painful and difficult to watch. But absolutely essential viewing.

Yeah, thoroughly recommended. I just watched the first two episodes. I'd also heard of the case but had no idea of the full story. 

12 hours ago, ckny said:

When They See Us.

Yep, enjoyed this a lot. And I screamed at my TV a lot.

Second season of the Canadian mob show by numbers Bad Blood went up at the weekend, despite being pretty generic I quite enjoyed the first and rattled thru 3 eps on the bounce last night for season 2.

Few too many people saying 'aboot' and no mention of really large pyrex kitchenware, park benches or hipster shops selling funny teas, so I'm not sure its authentically Canadian - but its pretty watchable mob based drivel. 

• Upvote 2

On 02/06/2019 at 09:37, ckny said:

When They See Us.

There was a documentary about the Central Park Five on Netflix a while back too that I never got round to watching, looks like they've removed it now.

On 30/05/2019 at 09:09, schmojo said:

Having watched a few episodes of What If...  oh god it's a stinker. Beautiful, terrible soap actors with better colour grading.

The script is the most unnatural thing I've ever heard. It's like the words of someone desperate to appear more articulate and intelligent than they are. I counted four consecutive scenes with forced literary quotes.

And there's a huge amount of 'Shift+F7 writing' where a commonplace word would have sounded perfect, but they've opted for a thesaurus option that sounds broken.

Zellweger was almost unrecognisable too. I thought they'd found someone who just looked a bit like her.

But isn't this the point? It's exactly like a terrible 90's movie like Sliver or Indecent Proposal, with fruity writing and dialogue to match.

Got round to watching second season of The Rain. I quite liked the first one - it had some charm and sense of mystery. Not so this time around - I'd suggest avoiding it, as even though it's only 6 episodes it's just a load of badly thought out and paced nonsense-bollocks.

On 01/06/2019 at 13:29, Fireproofradiator said:

Romcom starring and written by Ali Wong and Randall Park, Always be my Maybe came out yesterday. Randall Park was Kim Jong-Un in The Interview. 

I like Park and have a crush on Wong so I was keen anyway but it’s worth a watch for the AMAZING CAMEO about half way in, which beats

Reveal hidden contents

Bill Murray

This is brilliant :)

I watched The Perfection earlier tonight and thought it was tremendous. A bloody, gross, nasty thriller that wears it's Giallo influences proudly and comes in under 90 minutes. More of this trash please Netflix. 

• Upvote 5

5 hours ago, wev said:

There was a documentary about the Central Park Five on Netflix a while back too that I never got round to watching, looks like they've removed it now.

Watched it last night, it’s on Prime via the PBS add on channel (1 week free trial ftw). Didn’t add a lot to the dramatisation to be honest.

2 hours ago, Silent Runner said:

I watched The Perfection earlier tonight and thought it was tremendous. A bloody, gross, nasty thriller that wears it's Giallo influences proudly and comes in under 90 minutes. More of this trash please Netflix. 

Just watched this. Very good. Cheers for the recommendation.

6 hours ago, Silent Runner said:

Oh wow. I am all over this.

I watched episode 1 of when they see us and I can't continue. It's too infuriating and upsetting. I can't handle injustice anymore.

• Empathy 1

On 01/06/2019 at 20:29, Fireproofradiator said:

Reveal hidden contents

Bill Murray

The dessert is fucking awesome

9 hours ago, ckny said:

Watched it last night, it’s on Prime via the PBS add on channel (1 week free trial ftw). Didn’t add a lot to the dramatisation to be honest.

Ah ok. I'd wondered if it being a documentary would have been more factual? But then if it's PBS they can be a bit hit or miss.

We started watching Evil Genius last night, which is about a bank heist, but there's so so much more to it and had some properly shocking moments (we've only watched episode 1 so far). There is a bit that definetly isn't for the easily upset though

you see a guy get blown up

4 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

I watched episode 1 of when they see us and I can't continue. It's too infuriating and upsetting. I can't handle injustice anymore.

Just watching the trailer was enough for me to nope out for that very reason. 

50 minutes ago, wev said:

Ah ok. I'd wondered if it being a documentary would have been more factual? But then if it's PBS they can be a bit hit or miss.

We started watching Evil Genius last night, which is about a bank heist, but there's so so much more to it and had some properly shocking moments (we've only watched episode 1 so far). There is a bit that definetly isn't for the easily upset though

Hide contents

you see a guy get blown up

Let us know how you find it after all the episodes. For me Evil Genius was a great opening but went downhill after episode 1. It was like they put all the dramatic parts in the first one and set up some intriguing characters but once you get the reveal it fizzles out.

Sicario 2. It's had a lot of negative attention on here and I'm going to echo (probably) the same sentiments.

I loved the first film - it didn't really have any good guys and had a magnificent cast. 

Sicario 2 - what on Earth?!

We still had that theme of the US Government being as bad as the Cartels but it was laid on thick - the ambiguity of the first film was nowhere to be seen.

The bombers carry out a terrorist attack and that's it, all we learn are that they came over the Mexican border on a ship that was allowed to pass through Somalia.  It was an isolated attack with no motive explained. 

The DEA decide to start a Cartel war by abducting the daughter of one of the bosses to make it look like a rival Cartel has done it.  You see absolutely no effects of this at all.

The little kid with the passport becomes a Cartel gangster by the end but you see not one real development from school kid to Cartel gang member apart from when he shoots Del Torro's character in the head under the orders of the gang boss - Del Torro's character then obviously survives.

Unspoilered reaction - it's fucking awful.

Jesus - the Guardian reviewed it as a 5 star film - is 90% of it cut out on Netfilx

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/jun/28/sicario-2-soldado-review-benicio-del-toro-josh-brolin

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

Let us know how you find it after all the episodes. For me Evil Genius was a great opening but went downhill after episode 1. It was like they put all the dramatic parts in the first one and set up some intriguing characters but once you get the reveal it fizzles out.

We finished it this morning. I think that's a fair comment but I found it fascinating. The drama was always going to be the opening episode and frankly it couldn't get any more dramatic than what happened immediately after the bank robbery. It certainly lost its "what the fuck?" element after that and then it was more about the threads unravelling and theories trying to be proven/disproven with the main figures mostly backstabbing each other. I think the guy who created it inserted himself into the story a little too much (similar to that Confessions of a Serial Killer that was on Channel 4 last week). There is some stuff in there that, for me, doesn't add up 

28 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

Sicario 2. It's had a lot of negative attention on here and I'm going to echo (probably) the same sentiments.

I loved the first film - it didn't really have any good guys and had a magnificent cast. 

Sicario 2 - what on Earth?!

Hide contents

We still had that theme of the US Government being as bad as the Cartels but it was laid on thick - the ambiguity of the first film was nowhere to be seen.

The bombers carry out a terrorist attack and that's it, all we learn are that they came over the Mexican border on a ship that was allowed to pass through Somalia.  It was an isolated attack with no motive explained. 

The DEA decide to start a Cartel war by abducting the daughter of one of the bosses to make it look like a rival Cartel has done it.  You see absolutely no effects of this at all.

The little kid with the passport becomes a Cartel gangster by the end but you see not one real development from school kid to Cartel gang member apart from when he shoots Del Torro's character in the head under the orders of the gang boss - Del Torro's character then obviously survives.

Unspoilered reaction - it's fucking awful.

Jesus - the Guardian reviewed it as a 5 star film - is 90% of it cut out on Netfilx

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/jun/28/sicario-2-soldado-review-benicio-del-toro-josh-brolin

Pete Bradshaw has always been a hack. He was lukewarm on Whiplash for example.

I didn't think Sicario 2 was awful but it was very much a 90s style straight to video sequel trading on the name - that somehow kept the quality cast and production values. 

The story is incredibly silly and it feels like a completely unrelated, much worse film, for sure. 

2 hours ago, Benny said:

Pete Bradshaw has always been a hack. He was lukewarm on Whiplash for example.

My heart sinks when I see Peter Bradshaw's byline on a Guardian film review. I was going to say I pretty much watch whatever he dislikes and vice versa but like a stopped clock he does occassionally hit the mark.