rllmuk
Marlowe

Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

3 hours ago, Monkeyboy said:

Does it honestly have a great ending? I gave up on it. I seem to remember the camera being almost constantly up in everyone's face all the time. It irritated the fuck out of me.

I loved the ending. But it's not a film for everyone 

It's a film for fans of stuff like 'friends of Eddie Coyle'

Netflix has started releasing as a trial the top ten most watched films and TV shows in the UK. 

To compile the list, it looked at the most-watched individual season of a show, film or special and watched means subscribers finished at least 70% of one episode. “It’s a test as we want to make sure this information is useful for you. So we may tweak it in the weeks ahead. [For instance], we’re not including kids right now. And if people don’t find it useful we’ll stop,” it tweeted.

Top ten most-watched series:

1. Black Summer
2. After Life
3. Riverdale
4. Chilling Adventures of Sabrina
5. Star Trek: Discovery
6. Lunatics
7. Bodyguard
8. Santa Clarita Diet
9. Bonding
10. Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Top ten most-watched films:

1. The Perfect Date
2. The Highwaymen
3. The Silence
4. The Spy Who Dumped Me
5. Someone Great
6. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
7. Baywatch
8. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
9. Sniper: Ultimate Kill
10. Sicario: Day of the Soldado

Obviously it is Netflix so who quite knows if it is a completely truthful list (I'm slightly surprised things like Friends aren't up there is they are simply measuring how many people watch 70% of a single episode of a season). I don't know the Netflix release dates well enough but to a certain extent all of those titles looks like new releases - are they simply charting the new releases each month and ignoring back catalogue? 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Revival said:

Meant to be very good but like Zok said, I feel like I've seen almost the entire movie now. 

17 minutes ago, McCoy said:

Netflix has started releasing as a trial the top ten most watched films and TV shows in the UK. 

8. Santa Clarita Diet

8th most watched show & they bloody cancel it!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, McCoy said:

1. Black Summer
2. After Life
3. Riverdale
6. Lunatics
7. Bodyguard
8. Santa Clarita Diet
9. Bonding
10. Brooklyn Nine-Nine

1. The Perfect Date
2. The Highwaymen
3. The Silence
4. The Spy Who Dumped Me
5. Someone Great
7. Baywatch

Obviously it is Netflix so who quite knows if it is a completely truthful list (I'm slightly surprised things like Friends aren't up there is they are simply measuring how many people watch 70% of a single episode of a season). I don't know the Netflix release dates well enough but to a certain extent all of those titles looks like new releases - are they simply charting the new releases each month and ignoring back catalogue? 

No wonder Netflix are happy buying up distribution rights for movies that barely trouble 50% on RT and making trashy TV.

4 hours ago, McCoy said:

1. Black Summer
2. After Life
3. Riverdale
6. Lunatics
7. Bodyguard
8. Santa Clarita Diet
9. Bonding
10. Brooklyn Nine-Nine

1. The Perfect Date
2. The Highwaymen
3. The Silence
4. The Spy Who Dumped Me
5. Someone Great
7. Baywatch

Only thing I’ve seen on that list is (excellent) Lunatics.

I must get around to watching the Sicario flick - that’s the second one, right?

Black Summer at no.1 is baffling.

The 1st episode was interesting and showed some potential to be something a bit different with overlapping arcs and shifts in pov and timeframes, but it just went flat. I gave up after the School episode, it was just awful. The characters were paper thin and it just seemed to be going nowhere at all.

I have no idea why or how it could be so popular.

• Upvote 1

Yeah besides 2 episodes of Black Summer (shiiiit), Brooklyn 99 is the only thing on there I've spent any time on.  Oh and ST:Discovery. Also bobbins.

2 hours ago, revlob said:

The Girl with All the Gifts has appeared. Supposed to be good, I heard.

Yeah it's not bad.  The book is, of course, better.  Best to go in not knowing anything if you can.

Stuck Wine Country on today because a Netflix Original with a cast so good (Amy Poehler, Tina Fey, Maya Rudolph and a host of other SNL alumni) must be at least somewhat enjoyable, right?

Ugh, it's crap. Meandering, slow, predictable, witless and unconvincing. The cast valiantly do their best but the material is so weak there's no saving it. Don't bother if, like me, you're drawn to the cast. I put a couple of episodes of Parks and Rec on afterwards to remind myself how good Poehler is with the right material.

• Downvote 1

Started a new show tonight, Chambers. It's about a young woman who has a heart attack and has a heart transplant. Soon after that all kinds of spooky stuff starts to happen to her - visions, strange rituals, cult-like behaviour. 

This got some bad reviews but it's pretty decent two episodes in. It's set in Arizona so there's lots of desert landscape shots and beautiful exteriors - it looks amazing all round. The acting is pretty decent, Uma Thurman is in it but only for a few minutes so far, good soundtrack (The Smiths and The Stone Roses are on it for some reason) and a solid enough mystery. 

I'll definitely watch a few more but it might become one of those shows with enough story for 6 eps. that Netflix drags the arse out of. Anyone watched it?

20 hours ago, Benny said:

This news just in: people watch shite.

Or people watch whatever Netflix tell them to.

I don’t think a chart like that can be good for Netflix. I’m sure there’s some sort of “Advanced” algorithm that’s allowing them to skew the numbers (whatever those numbers are), but Netflix are in a bit of an echo chamber if they think people want to watch The Highwaymen over Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2 when Avengers Endgame is doing gang busters at the cinema.

The rating system was bollocks anyway. The rating they showed was what they thought you would rate it based on how you’d rated other similar shows, added to your watchlist etc. It wasn’t even an average rating from other viewers. So the percentage thing they use now kind of makes more sense.

Yeah, you could rate it out of 5, but stuff you hadn’t rated wasn’t based on the average from every Netflix viewer which was pretty weird. I do think their thumbs up/thumbs down system is shit though. Too binary for me. I end up giving a thumbs down to stuff I kind of enjoyed but didn’t love.

15 hours ago, Majora said:

Stuck Wine Country on today because a Netflix Original with a cast so good (Amy Poehler, Tina Fey, Maya Rudolph and a host of other SNL alumni) must be at least somewhat enjoyable, right?

Ugh, it's crap. Meandering, slow, predictable, witless and unconvincing. The cast valiantly do their best but the material is so weak there's no saving it. Don't bother if, like me, you're drawn to the cast. I put a couple of episodes of Parks and Rec on afterwards to remind myself how good Poehler is with the right material.

Glad I'm not the only one. The missus and I only made it 20 minutes in.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I started watching a new show last night, Dead To Me. It's about two women, played by Christina Applegate and Linda Cardellini, who meet at a grief therapy group and become friends. Christina Applegates husband has been killed in a hit and run, Linda Cardellini has experianced a loss of her own.

It's hard to categorise this - it's a black comedy that goes a bit schmaltzy at times but then undercuts the schmaltz with swearing, sex and drugs. The two leads are great, it's funny and sad at times. And there's some nice surprises. Pretty good so far.

Anyone watch? 

• Upvote 1

Thanks to all the recommendations here we just watched Knock Down the House.

Absolutely brilliant, as promised - and also worth noting that it’s a wonderfully compact documentary. Zero fat.

• Upvote 1

The Perfection caught my attention with the trailer. Really mixed bag though and takes some pretty serious sharp turns along the plot. Started off really well, but when the tangents start I was ready for coming on here and slating it, but then it twists again and makes a bit of a recovery towards the end. 

If you like trashy horror then probably worth a watch. 

After many years subscribing, I am actually considering cancelling my Netflix subscription. I doubt I watch more than one good thing a month, and it seems like a long time since there was anything really good.

Between Prime, Sky and iPlayer, I think that is enough. 

:(

• Empathy 1