rllmuk
Marlowe

Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

On 12/04/2019 at 19:50, Stopharage said:

Just watched the first 5 episodes of Black Summer - Netflix’s new zombie series. Predictable in parts with a couple of ‘why on earth would you do that?’ moments. But enjoyable, tense in places and avoids gratuitous violence. 

I just binged this today. I thought it was utterly terrible for the most part but kept it on because I was doing a bit of Lego dusting so it just kept rolling through the episodes. There's just nothing to it. No story. No really interesting set pieces. No real surprise (I guess there's the "who will survive" aspect but you never get to know anyone in it really so it's a meh on that one for me).

The vast majority of it makes no fucking sense. Half the time they arrive somewhere there just "happen" to be others arriving at the same time. The world swings from having no-one in it to being full of others (who go from being survivors to zombies with little reason). Actions have no consequences; get run off the road by someone and brush it aside with nary a mention. Of course there's a dose of Walking Dead style stupidity without which they'd probably be no events what-so-ever and it's just shit.

I thought, from the first episode it might have an interesting angle... a series that can follow the start/progression of a zombie outbreak. It seemed to have the concept of the military around organising some form of response but it doesn't really. It's like the start of that Walking Dead spin off. Starts before the shit goes down, but by the end of the first episode it's shot that bullet and become The Walking Dead. Show us more than the constant running.

There's also something quite funny in the episode lengths for the series (thank god it's only 8 episodes). 44min, 35min, 40min, 39min, 43min, 34min, 25min, 20min. Starts off pretty standard, 40-odd minutes (with the nice fact that streaming shows can vary their length to suit the story). But by the end we're at 25 and 20 minutes. And it's telling that it's at the end at it's worst. There's nothing of interesting in the last few. The finale should be a spectacle. Or a downer. Or... anything. But it's just 20 minutes of... what the fuck.

A disjointed mess of a show. Don't bother.

• Upvote 3

It also reminds me what I hate about Netflix's rating and recommendation system... I almost feel like I have to rate this positively to influence my recommendations. I want stuff of this ilk (the themes) to be shown to me but I want to be able to say it's crap. I appreciate the concept they have around individual rating (i.e how much they think you'll like it rather than specific scores) but I wish I could feed data to the system. I guess what I watch does that in a sense but I feel like I want to have something like theme keywords on shows/films and let me highlight the ones that interest me.

Watched the first Bear Grylls episode yesterday - it's interactive. It is aimed at kids and feels like a CBBC series. My middle child was angry with it as you can't kill Bear Grylls.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, neoELITE said:

Watched the first Bear Grylls episode yesterday - it's interactive. It is aimed at kids and feels like a CBBC series. My middle child was angry with it as you can't kill Bear Grylls.

You can ;)

On 23/02/2019 at 15:48, ZOK said:

Holy shit Bad Guys: Vile City is amazing. I’ve only watched the first 45 minutes of the first ep so far, and I am in love.

Same here, thanks for the heads up!

The most buzzed-about movie at last year’s Fantastic Fest, THE PERFECTION is an elegant and terrifying suspense ride filled with unexpected twists and turns. When troubled musical prodigy Charlotte (Allison Williams) seeks out Elizabeth (Logan Browning), the new star pupil of her former school, the encounter sends both musicians down a sinister path with shocking consequences.

May 24th

• Upvote 1

After enduring nearly a decade of The Walking Dead I rather enjoyed Black Summer - especially its fast zombies. I wish the story had started earlier in the outbreak, though. 

14 minutes ago, superfunk said:

After enduring nearly a decade of The Walking Dead I rather enjoyed Black Summer - especially its fast zombies. I wish the story had started earlier in the outbreak, though. 

Just how? Are you able to close doors? 

Cos no one in programme can. 

On 14/04/2019 at 11:41, Camel said:

Three more Hi Score Girl episodes were added last month and there's a second series coming in October.

So I tried this...

It starts out promisingly, with a girl invading a "male" space and winding up a male character, but then it just descends into the female characters' lives essentially ending up being defined by whatever the male character is doing and then falling for him. There's loads of lovely retro gaming nostalgia, but it's wrapped around another set of tiresome harem anime tropes. I was interested to see more about the female characters or find out more about them, but their lives are often defined by how they react to the main male lead, rather than specific events in their own lives.

The male character is all about being free and having fun, but one love interest (in episode 4) is happy to "watch from behind" as he plays.

The only female character who is shown being "free" and acting uninhibited (in the day out episode) is called a weirdo. Because it seems that's the reaction if you don't act quiet and know your place.

Maybe it will redeem itself in a few more episodes, but maybe not. I've watched Avatar: the Last Airbender recently and I think it's set such a high bar for believable and interesting character relationships, that it's going to be impossible not to compare anything else like this to it.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, cassidy said:

Just how? Are you able to close doors? 

Cos no one in programme can. 

I am able to close doors and I also shouted at the stupid people for not closing doors. And yet I still enjoyed it.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Benny said:

So I tried this...

It starts out promisingly, with a girl invading a "male" space and winding up a male character, but then it just descends into the female characters' lives essentially ending up being defined by whatever the male character is doing and then falling for him. There's loads of lovely retro gaming nostalgia, but it's wrapped around another set of tiresome harem anime tropes. I was interested to see more about the female characters or find out more about them, but their lives are often defined by how they react to the main male lead, rather than specific events in their own lives.

The male character is all about being free and having fun, but one love interest (in episode 4) is happy to "watch from behind" as he plays.

The only female character who is shown being "free" and acting uninhibited (in the day out episode) is called a weirdo. Because it seems that's the reaction if you don't act quiet and know your place.

Maybe it will redeem itself in a few more episodes, but maybe not. I've watched Avatar: the Last Airbender recently and I think it's set such a high bar for believable and interesting character relationships, that it's going to be impossible not to compare anything else like this to it.

This is all spot on I must admit. I still stayed for the retro love. Haven't watched the new episodes yet.

11 minutes ago, Camel said:

This is all spot on I must admit. I still stayed for the retro love. Haven't watched the new episodes yet.

It's just a shame to come across the same tired old issues really as I really like the concept and it's clearly made with genuine reverence for the games and gaming. Even that enjoyable new Russian Doll show couldn't get games right.

Another one who tried Black Summer.  It starts interesting enough but it feels super low budget...they seem to drive around and wander around the exact same streets and houses for at least the first couple of episodes.  Shame to hear it doesn't focus on the outbreak and attempts to contain as that does seem to be an element the genre doesn't focus on much.  I'll probably end up watching as I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic stuff.  I mean I watched two seasons of Van Helsing ffs which really was awful.

Playing Hard - a documentary following the making of For Hono(u)r.  I went in expecting an Ubisoft puff piece and it’s not that by any stretch of the imagination.  I think it’s the most honest document of the journey £ stresses of making a large game, and while I’ve been out of AAA game dev & the biggest teams I worked on were only a couple of hundred people so much of this rings true to me.  It focusses on the men at the top, mainly the creative director.  I had to turn on subtitles because half of it is in French & there weren’t any.

• Upvote 2

I watched The Silence last night. It's basically The Bird Place, or A Quiet Box, or a cleverer mash up of the names of those two films.

Unfortunately, it's also irredeemably shit and lacks almost any tension at all. It has a couple of nice ideas, but they don't really work well on screen with the way it's been put together.

Throw in some pretty terrible acting, an awful third act, a sense that the director and editor have noticed it's awful so they've made it as short as they can (yet it still feels overlong) and a 30 second wrap up that just kinda goes "yeah ok this is how it all ends up" and I can't recommend avoiding it enough.

Why it's headlining Netflix's content at the moment I've no idea. It's far worse than Bird Box (which I was already disappointed in) or Extinction (which I was pleasantly surprised by). 

I watched Gotti.  I recommend you don't watch Gotti.

I also recommend you do watch Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, which has somehow escaped me for all this time and is now very much in the mix with my favourites of the era.  I would mention it in the same breath as the likes of Cool Hand Luke and Butch & Sundance.  A very, very good film.

• Upvote 3

It is indeed.

Edit - I only read about just how much of a disaster it is after the fact.  I'm a sucker for mob movies but it has to be clear they're naughty boys and their comeuppance needs to be front and centre - this just portrays him as nothing less than a hero. It's also cut together so badly that it's basically impossible to follow.

2 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

I also recommend you do watch Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, which has somehow escaped me for all this time and is now very much in the mix with my favourites of the era.  I would mention it in the same breath as the likes of Cool Hand Luke and Butch & Sundance.  A very, very good film.

Ooh, I’ve always wanted to watch that myself, cheers!

Started Hi-Score Girl and got sucked in.

I feel exposed - it's like they peered into some darker recesses of my soul. Kinda.

All the stuff above about tropes etc. is all true of course. I view it as though it's a wryly-smiling parody - in that sense it feels pretty nicely done.

Dark S2

Watching has reminded me of two things, how good the first season was and also how utterly baffled I was by the end of it. I watched it a year ago now, I fear this may just leave me stumped. Looks great though.

• Upvote 7

15 minutes ago, KartoffelKopf said:

Dark S2

Watching has reminded me of two things, how good the first season was and also how utterly baffled I was by the end of it. I watched it a year ago now, I fear this may just leave me stumped. Looks great though.

Gives me an excuse to watch series 1 again.

1 hour ago, KartoffelKopf said:

Dark S2

Looks like they are embracing the foreign language track with subtitles rather than the default dubbed version they had last time :omg: