rllmuk
Marlowe

Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

On 01/02/2019 at 20:20, sandman said:

2 - Bright

After the lukewarm reception I didn't rush to see this. But after a disappointing trio of Edgerton films last week I thought I would take a chance on this. I thought it was excellent for the most part with only a slightly rushed ending letting the side down a bit. The 2 leads were both on form (I thought it was Smiths best role in years). I thought the whole thing was very inventive. Perhaps it would have worked better as a mini series as there was a bit too much story for one film

8/10

See I didn't see it as inventive at all. It had a great premise and then failed to use it. The Orks were basically black/latino gangs. You could have taken the whole fantasy element out of it and it still be the same movie. I didnt mind it though and quite enjoyed it, but it felt like a wasted opportunity. 

Damning with faint praise as it may be, I thought Velvet Buzzsaw was perfectly fine. It didn’t really go anywhere or do much, but it looked nice, didn’t drag or take itself seriously, and a couple of the performances were great.  Decent/10.

• Upvote 1

I found the Ted Bundy documentary painfully slow, bloated and boring, and really dislike this trend of making an entire series out of one old case, a bit of archive footage and some interviews. I found the same with Making A Murderer which I think kicked the whole thing off, and was acclaimed, so maybe it's just me but it just seems like a very cheap and lazy way to make a lot of content compared to something like Mindhunter, which I thought was excellent but I am sure cost a lot more to make.

20 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

Damning with faint praise as it may be, I thought Velvet Buzzsaw was perfectly fine. It didn’t really go anywhere or do much, but it looked nice, didn’t drag or take itself seriously, and a couple of the performances were great.  Decent/10.

I agree, I enjoyed this one

• Upvote 5

26 minutes ago, JPickford said:

Making a Murder wasn't archive footage.  They followed the case for years and filmed it themselves.  Hardly cheap.

Yeah sorry I should have said. MAM was like the good version of this format, even though I still found it drawn out, and shows like the Bundy one are the cheap version.

I found the first Making a Murderer utterly compelling, so much so I binged watched it twice (though about a year apart).

I agree there has been a problem with other true crime capers being serialised well past their natural quality threshold. There's  another thread about this somewhere else.

I thought bits of Bundy were good but it should have been two hours max. The bits about his prison escapes, the manhunt and real footage of his trial (where he treats it like a Hollywood movie) were fascinating though.

Abducted in Plain Sight is a shocking story but undermined by faked archive-style footage that only cheapens the experience.

I loved The Staircase and I think it's nearly on a par with MAM but the recently added episodes were weak and very flabby. Interestingly, when I first watched the original series (on BBC iPlayer) I thought they'd stolen the tone and style from MAM, only to realise it predated the classic Netflix series by some margin. Perhaps the stealing went the other way?

I really enjoyed the first series of MAM, but felt that the second series really dragged. Think they could have had half the amount of episodes and it would have improved things considerably. 

The Staircase was decent too but both don’t approach the quality of The Jinx. Think there were around 6 episodes of that and it was jan-packed full of drama. That final episode..

I'm regurgitating my post from the language learners thread, for anyone who wants to watch some German Netflix:

Dogs of Berlin - a fairly hokey bent police versus organised crime thriller. It centres around the murder of a Turkish- German football (Mesut Ozil) and the fallout from that event. There are neo nazi and Turkish hip hop subplots. It's very watchable but probably wouldn't stand up to any seroisus scrutiny. An enjoyable ride.

The Same Sky - a cold war drama, based on a real East German Operation "Romeo" whereby young ossie lads were sent to West Berlin to seduce older women working for the British and American governments. I really enjoyed seeing the old east and west Berlin sets. There are also some great tense undercover spy scenes and interesting diversions along the way.

Parfum - this begins with the murder of beautiful women, and it quickly becomes clear that the murder appears to be linked to a close group of boarding school friends. I really enjoyed this even though it got real dark, real quick. Probably my favourite of the bunch despite the slow building bleakness.

Content warning: All of the above have more nudity and domestic or "real"(?) violence than the average UK show. 

• Upvote 7

On 01/02/2019 at 10:40, grounded_dreams said:

Russian Doll is released today, created by Amy Poehler and stars Natasha Lyonne (who is best known from Orange Is the New Black). Currently sitting at 89 on Metacritic.

Can't wait to start watching this weekend.

Just sat and watched all of this. It was bloody great. Lyonne was incredible.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, KRP said:

Content warning: All of the above have more nudity and domestic or "real"(?) violence than the average UK show. 

Is it like Dark where all the nudity was front-loaded into the first episode to get people watching. Er, not that that's why I watched it.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, James Lyon said:

Is it like Dark where all the nudity was front-loaded into the first episode to get people watching. Er, not that that's why I watched it.

It's actually pretty consistent throughout. Although some of it is unsavoury.

On 23/01/2019 at 17:44, Stopharage said:

I watched this last week and it's ridiculous. I tried to explain some of the events that happened to some friends and they genuinely thought I was taking the piss. I think your description is perfect - there were 3 points in the documentary where I questioned whether this was just some elaborate wind-up. I actually think it's a poorly made documentary but the events are captivating enough to keep you engaged.

Hide contents

- letting B share their daughter's bed

- the tape recorder messages

- dad's car journey

Just watched this. I have to say the one bit I still really don't get...

Spoiler

Why the fuck did the dad wank him off in the car? Had me genuinely spitting out my coffee.

On 06/02/2019 at 17:12, KRP said:

It's actually pretty consistent throughout. Although some of it is unsavoury.

Welcome to German TV :lol: family nights watching television sure are different here.

• Upvote 1

There's a new Steven Soderburgh film gone up today, High Flying Bird. Nothing to do with Noel Gallagher but something to do with basketball and sports agents. The trailer is a bit confusing and even after watching it I can't tell what it's about. Getting good write-ups though. Anyone seen it?

I had to stop Velvet Buzzsaw about 45 minutes from the end. It’s a really confused film. Is it horror, satire? I’m not even sure who the lead character is supposed to be. I guess my expectations were too high after Nightcrawler. Should I stick it out?

13 minutes ago, Monkeyboy said:

I had to stop Velvet Buzzsaw about 45 minutes from the end. It’s a really confused film. Is it horror, satire? I’m not even sure who the lead character is supposed to be. I guess my expectations were too high after Nightcrawler. Should I stick it out?

Watched it with my daughter, vaguely fun. Definitely a horror/satire - poking fun at the multi million dollar art investment industry.  Not a single nice character, apart from maybe the girl from Michigan and the street artist dude (oh and the  recovering alcoholic),  mostly getting their comeuppance.

For those of you who have taken a big swig of the Big Mouth insanity, there's a 46 minute valentine's day special out now. It carries straight on from season two and continues to work its magic. :) :)

There’s a good doc on Netflix called Holy Hell, might be of particular interest to people who enjoyed Wild Wild Country as it’s also about a cult, but a very different outfit to the Osho set up.

It started in Los Angeles in the 1990s and exists still today in a different form in Hawaii. The doc’s made by the guy who was the cult’s videographer so there’s stacks of archive footage. It’s a fascinating film, the cult seemingly starts off as some sort of keep fit / positive thinking / spiritual ballet cult for LA hard bodies led by a weirdly charismatic Speedos aficionado, but of course it’s something very much darker indeed.

Well worth a watch.

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Speedos aficionado

It was sounding like one to maybe put on the watchlist of shame right up to this two word bombshell.

IT IS NOW TOP OF THE LIST.

• Upvote 1

Im pretty new to Netflix but im lovinf old and new stuff particularly  "F is family".

An animated sotcom set in 1973 wrotten by Bill Burr and Vince Vaughn is involved too somehow. But its hilaarious

I actually like F is for Family as well. I’ve always felt that I’m the only one liking it as all my friends and co-workers nerver liked it for some reason.