rllmuk
Marlowe

Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

On 04/08/2018 at 18:51, Gambit said:

I wouldn't go that far. :lol:

I really dislike the inclusion of Wahlberg though. And it completely knackered the originals brilliant ending. 

This is absolute truth, and one of multiple notes in the 'Why Mark Wahlberg makes everything* worse' dossier.

*Basketball Diaries and Boogie Nights notwithstanding. 

• Upvote 1

Previously recommended documentary Vietnam gets a big +1 from me.

I thought I knew a lot about the Vietnam War but then realised I actually knew next to nothing once I'd watched the 1st episode. What I actually knew has been put in my brain by countless films and TV series rather than through actual historical events and facts.  It is a fantastic series so far and I've only watched 2 episodes.

The 1st episode in particular ties in with a book I'm reading on colonialization and ethnicity and power and slavery so I was really interested in the history of Vietnam from the start. I hadn't realised it was even a colony of France.  I assumed it was just a peaceful, agricultural nation who were taken over by Communists. When it started talking about the 1800s, I thought, "erm, what now?! that has nothing to do with the war" and then it all started to dawn on me. I love being educated like that.

The footage is absolutely superb and it pulls no punches.

Everyone with even the slightest interest in history should watch it.

• Upvote 5

On 27/07/2018 at 07:05, ckny said:

The poster completely misrepresents the film.

MV5BMjMwOTg0MzU4MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODk2

Hide contents

So so the main character is a gun toting bad ass and Forest Whitaker’s the villain, yeah? Nope!

I watched this yesterday and I have to say, it was one of the worst films I've seen for a very long time. 

It starts with man with the gun and his girlfriend finding out they're having a baby boy. Man with gun is white, girlfriend is black - that could've been interesting as it could have brought some kind of social commentary into the film but it didn't.

Man with Gun then, for some reason, takes a plane to visit girlfriend's parents without her to ask for her hand in marriage. Seems legit! That would happen. This doesn't go well as man with gun doesn't get on with her Dad and they have a bit of a row.

He then is on his way back but something happens and all the electricity turns off and the mobile network goes down.

He goes back to the parents and they decide to drive back to rescue the girlfriend from something.

Along the way, they have a bit of a fight with a guy in a police car who isn't a policeman. They crash before that and the Dad breaks his ribs but he can still manage to pummel the fake policeman with a rock. Later, he can't pick up a can of petrol. Makes sense.

They meet up with a native American lady. She fixes their car and decides for no reason at all to go with them to Seattle for $2000.

On the way, they get into another scrape and have a car chase and the native American lady shoots out a tyre resulting in her killing two guys - she spins out as she's killed someone so runs off. Again, that makes sense.

Meanwhile, the hapless and mild mannered man with the gun becomes a badass stunt driver and also (even though he has never handled a gun before) becomes some kind of gun expert.

Dad dies after the man with the gun drains his collapsed lung with a medical device they happen to have in the boot of the car. Makes sense again.

Man with the gun gets to Seattle eventually - on foot and also by hitch-hiking.

It's destroyed but his girlfriend leaves a note to say "come here, I am alive".

He goes there and she's fine. She's with her neighbour in some summer house. The neighbour is a conspiracy theorist and the man with the gun kills him before he is shot first.

Girlfriend and man with the gun then have to escape a big dust cloud and drive away really fast - outrunning a volcano eruption.

The end!

It's terrible.

• Upvote 2

Just finished watching Sacred Games. It's a great crime drama.

Hopefully Netflix will greenlit a second season.

On ‎09‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 11:37, neoELITE said:

Previously recommended documentary Vietnam gets a big +1 from me.

I thought I knew a lot about the Vietnam War but then realised I actually knew next to nothing once I'd watched the 1st episode. What I actually knew has been put in my brain by countless films and TV series rather than through actual historical events and facts.  It is a fantastic series so far and I've only watched 2 episodes.

The 1st episode in particular ties in with a book I'm reading on colonialization and ethnicity and power and slavery so I was really interested in the history of Vietnam from the start. I hadn't realised it was even a colony of France.  I assumed it was just a peaceful, agricultural nation who were taken over by Communists. When it started talking about the 1800s, I thought, "erm, what now?! that has nothing to do with the war" and then it all started to dawn on me. I love being educated like that.

The footage is absolutely superb and it pulls no punches.

Everyone with even the slightest interest in history should watch it.

I cant recommend this show enough.  Possible the best documentary I have ever watched.  I was devastated it was over.  A great history lesson and beautifully balanced view points from all the main protagonists.

I also thought I had a decent knowledge of the conflict but boy was I wrong.  Everything about this show is brilliant even thought the subject matter of it is heart breaking at practically all times.

Spoiler

How much of a fucking cunt was Nixon.

It's astonishing as the conflict amounts to a real life conspiracy that covered generations and multiple presidents. I lived in Vietnam for two years, it's hard to imagine that history is about the country I lived in. A beautiful place with wonderful people, I know that's a cliche so I'll give you an example. My mate ran of petrol one time, so a stranger went to the petrol station half a mile away and collected some in a plastic bag (!) and brought it back to him. Refused to take money.

I never spoke to locals about the war, it never felt appropriate to bring it up but I know it's a sensitive subject still. 

• Upvote 2

Been watching 2 new things.

Happy - guy at work told me about it: "There's a flying unicorn that only the main character can see, and it's a lot like the film Crank". Pretty good description

Insatiable - enjoying this so far too

Aside from Better Call Saul, I am sick of the shit Netflix keeps promoting on their main page. It's all aimed at 12yo girls!

I got around to watching The Babysitter last night. I really enjoyed it.

• Upvote 3

On 12/08/2018 at 15:11, Minion said:

So I haven't watched it yet but after reading about a big drug bust off the coast of Spain it turns out there is this - Cocaine Coast - https://www.netflix.com/gb/title/80215500

Looks like it could be good!

Watched two episodes last night and it's enjoyable!

Time to binge. 

On 12/08/2018 at 21:38, Haribokart said:

Aside from Better Call Saul, I am sick of the shit Netflix keeps promoting on their main page. It's all aimed at 12yo girls!

Stuff that appears on your main page is based on what you’ve watched previously.

• Upvote 4
  • Empathy 1

I don't know to be honest, it was posted by Garth Franklin of the AU movie site, Dark Horizons.

Aren’t they all Netflix movies? I know several

are anyway. If they are, I’d assume it’s worldwide. 

Loving Vincent is on, great voice cast and stunning, hand painted animation in van Gogh's style. The plot is actually quite good too, well worth checking out on a Sunday afternoon.

• Empathy 1

Another from Goose’s list, Hold the Dark, just dropped a trailer. 

Looks to maintain Saulnier’s unique brand of ‘tense as fuck’

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, KartoffelKopf said:

Another from Goose’s list, Hold the Dark, just dropped a trailer. 

Looks to maintain Saulnier’s unique brand of ‘tense as fuck’

I let myself watch 40 seconds of that trailer, but no more because I am in!

Looking forward to that - loved Blue Ruin and Green Room, not so much Murder Party.

Edit: Looks excellent - but avoid watching the trailer if possible. 

Yes, I only watched the snippet I watched because I had no idea what it was.

I hate watching trailers. Just show me a two minute continuous snippet of actual movie non-spoilery dialogue - I can work out for myself based on that if it’s worth watching or not.

• Upvote 1

Don't Kill It: it's fun to have Dolph Lundgren back - don't expect too much but when it gets going it's remarkably and hilariously nasty.

• Upvote 2

Anyone watch The Innocents? A Netflix original 8 part show about a teenage couple who run away from their rural homes and head for London. But the girl develops shape-shifting powers and soon they're being followed all kinds of shady types. Guy Pierce is in it, it looks really good and the two teenage leads are excellent. It feels a little like Utopia. I've watched two and I'll probably finish it over the rest of the week.

Yeah I watched it but I wish I hadn't wasted my time.  It's well made but too daft (the mirror stuff) for my taste.   

Watched the trailer for The Innocents which made it look really good and something we'd really like but then watched the first two episodes and aren't really sure. 

Anyone with even a passing interest in #MeToo, sexual or gender politics should watch Hannah Gadsby’s Nanette. It’s a brilliant, ground-breaking and award-winning stand up show.

Actually fuck it – everyone should watch it.

The last 10 minutes were so honest and ruthless.

I finished watching it yesterday and I can’t stop thinking about it.

• Upvote 3

Do we have a thread for Amazon Video? I can’t seem to find one. Anyone know if it has any telly shows worth watching? I had a quick trawl of their website and it all looked like junk.