rllmuk
Marlowe

Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

On 27/07/2018 at 15:42, multiclunk said:

There's a new Last Chance U out now. New school, new coach, new players, new staff.

Not loving it as much as the previous two, but it's still a good watch. The new coach is quite a guy and NOTHING like the last bellend. He's a very entertaining fella & has a massive potty mouth.

I've not really got any interest at all in American Football as a sport, but the way they edit & show the games make it all very dramatic and exciting. 

I suppose it's not really about the game though, is it?

Anyone else watching?

Reveal hidden contents

Looking at the episode descriptions it appears there is an extra episode at the end of season 3 which catches up with what the key characters from seasons 1 & 2 are up to now. It's entitled S4,E1, so maybe back to the old house next time then?

I loved the first two series, well the first one especially before they all became much more aware of the cameras, but I haven't found this third series anywhere near as enjoyable. There aren't as many interesting personalities (at least they've not spent much time building them up) and some of the ones they have focussed on seem like they have some really tragic severe issues that need to be dealt with away from the cameras.

Conversely I've found the new coach to be a total arsehole, I've struggled to find any redeemable qualities in him. He seems really insecure in himself (how many times has he mentioned his beach house and collection of average cars?!) and his coaching ability (he seems to take any comments/suggestions as a personal slight and attempts to shut down and belittle the player or the coach that made them) on and is abusive to his players, and not in a shouty-but-ultimately-motivational-and-good-for-them way, but in a really personal antagonistic way that seems designed to destroy their confidence. At one point he was even having a massive go at some of his coaching staff in the middle of a game, after they suggested some alternative tactics. It was bonkers. The camera cut to the college dean during one of his outbursts and you could tell he was regretting the decision to bring him to the college.

Whereas although Buddy from S1-2 was loud and aggressive towards his players it still seemed to be within the boundaries of what you'd expect from a coach and focused around the game, rather than personal insults.

His motivational speaking is really poor too, and he tends to contradict himself. There was one episode where he was trying to instill in them the importance of at least turning up to classes, sitting at the front and listening, handing in homework just to ensure they passed the course, and then right at the end went off on another boastful rant about how he was a total baller and managed to blag his way through college without really trying anyway. It was bizarre.

I also felt really sorry for the QB coach, when he gave a tour of his living quarters, which looked less welcoming than a prison cell, and then casually mentioned that he wasn't even getting paid. Tragic.

Obviously I'm going to watch every episode though, and after watching almost 3 series of this I've still got pretty much NO IDEA how American Football works!

For your spoiler, the S4 ep is just a catch-up with a lot of the players from S1-2, don't know why they bothered calling it series 4 really, it makes more sense to watch it before S3, you can watch it any time.

• Empathy 1

On 26/07/2018 at 23:30, El Geet said:

Difficult to talk about without spoilers 

Hide contents

They either thought there might be a sequel or they’re deliberately keeping it ambiguous. But is the ambiguity supposed to be the ‘simulation’ bullshit the guy at the end went on about?

It was keeping me interested as I thought we were going to find out what caused the disaster but then we don’t. 

The way they introduce the Indian girl who then decides to wander off was also slightly bizarre. 

Despite all of that it was ok. I’m a sucker for apocalyptic stuff mind. 

Watched it last night and agree about those loose ends. 

What happened to Forest Whitaker’s wife? She just drove off at the beginning and we never heard from her again. Would have been nice if we knew what happened to cause such devasation and why the whole country turned into Mad Max overnight

Beautifully shot though and the CG was used well.

Thanks for all the Wind River recommendations, I watched it last night and loved it. It’s fairly by the numbers, and depressing to boot, but a cracking film nonetheless.

Anyone have difficulty with the sound level? I had to have booming background sounds to enable me to hear the mostly mumbled dialogue.

• Upvote 1

The newest Jason Bourne movie has been added. 

Also noticed that the entire Infernal Affairs trilogy is up as well. A definite for fans of The Departed who want to see the original (and better) film. 

• Upvote 5

Indeed. Infernal Affairs is so vastly superior to The Departed that at the very least Scorsese should be in prison, and if I had my way, De Caprio, Wahlberg and Winstone would be joining him.

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

Watched China Moon the other day. A nineties noir that had passed me by. How, I don't know, as it features a naked Madeline Stowe. Also features Ed Harris, Benicio del Toro, and Charles Dance doing an awful American accent.

• Upvote 1

I just watched a 90 minute advertisement for Royal Caribbean cruises starring Kelsey Grammer and Anna from Frozen masquerading as a Netflix original film titled ‘Like Father’.

Fuck the cruise ship looks awesome.

11 hours ago, Monkeyboy said:

Watched China Moon the other day. A nineties noir that had passed me by. How, I don't know, as it features a naked Madeline Stowe. Also features Ed Harris, Benicio del Toro, and Charles Dance doing an awful American accent.

9 hours ago, taurusnipple said:

China Moon is a good watch, been years since I last saw it and forgot the ending completely. 

Yes, a decent flick, I'd never heard of it before these posts so thanks guys. A strange film really - if you stare too hard the plot doesn't really hang together that well, and it's a nineties movie trying to nod to seventies noir yet somehow comes across as screamingly eighties, and all the more enjoyable for it.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, ckny said:

I just watched a 90 minute advertisement for Royal Caribbean cruises starring Kelsey Grammer and Anna from Frozen masquerading as a Netflix original film titled ‘Like Father’.

Fuck the cruise ship looks awesome.

I heard this on a review site.  How was the film though?

On 04/08/2018 at 18:51, Gambit said:

I wouldn't go that far. :lol:

I really dislike the inclusion of Wahlberg though. And it completely knackered the originals brilliant ending. 

This is absolute truth, and one of multiple notes in the 'Why Mark Wahlberg makes everything* worse' dossier.

*Basketball Diaries and Boogie Nights notwithstanding. 

• Upvote 1

Previously recommended documentary Vietnam gets a big +1 from me.

I thought I knew a lot about the Vietnam War but then realised I actually knew next to nothing once I'd watched the 1st episode. What I actually knew has been put in my brain by countless films and TV series rather than through actual historical events and facts.  It is a fantastic series so far and I've only watched 2 episodes.

The 1st episode in particular ties in with a book I'm reading on colonialization and ethnicity and power and slavery so I was really interested in the history of Vietnam from the start. I hadn't realised it was even a colony of France.  I assumed it was just a peaceful, agricultural nation who were taken over by Communists. When it started talking about the 1800s, I thought, "erm, what now?! that has nothing to do with the war" and then it all started to dawn on me. I love being educated like that.

The footage is absolutely superb and it pulls no punches.

Everyone with even the slightest interest in history should watch it.

• Upvote 5

On 27/07/2018 at 07:05, ckny said:

The poster completely misrepresents the film.

MV5BMjMwOTg0MzU4MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODk2

Hide contents

So so the main character is a gun toting bad ass and Forest Whitaker’s the villain, yeah? Nope!

I watched this yesterday and I have to say, it was one of the worst films I've seen for a very long time. 

It starts with man with the gun and his girlfriend finding out they're having a baby boy. Man with gun is white, girlfriend is black - that could've been interesting as it could have brought some kind of social commentary into the film but it didn't.

Man with Gun then, for some reason, takes a plane to visit girlfriend's parents without her to ask for her hand in marriage. Seems legit! That would happen. This doesn't go well as man with gun doesn't get on with her Dad and they have a bit of a row.

He then is on his way back but something happens and all the electricity turns off and the mobile network goes down.

He goes back to the parents and they decide to drive back to rescue the girlfriend from something.

Along the way, they have a bit of a fight with a guy in a police car who isn't a policeman. They crash before that and the Dad breaks his ribs but he can still manage to pummel the fake policeman with a rock. Later, he can't pick up a can of petrol. Makes sense.

They meet up with a native American lady. She fixes their car and decides for no reason at all to go with them to Seattle for $2000.

On the way, they get into another scrape and have a car chase and the native American lady shoots out a tyre resulting in her killing two guys - she spins out as she's killed someone so runs off. Again, that makes sense.

Meanwhile, the hapless and mild mannered man with the gun becomes a badass stunt driver and also (even though he has never handled a gun before) becomes some kind of gun expert.

Dad dies after the man with the gun drains his collapsed lung with a medical device they happen to have in the boot of the car. Makes sense again.

Man with the gun gets to Seattle eventually - on foot and also by hitch-hiking.

It's destroyed but his girlfriend leaves a note to say "come here, I am alive".

He goes there and she's fine. She's with her neighbour in some summer house. The neighbour is a conspiracy theorist and the man with the gun kills him before he is shot first.

Girlfriend and man with the gun then have to escape a big dust cloud and drive away really fast - outrunning a volcano eruption.

The end!

It's terrible.

• Upvote 2

Just finished watching Sacred Games. It's a great crime drama.

Hopefully Netflix will greenlit a second season.

On ‎09‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 11:37, neoELITE said:

Previously recommended documentary Vietnam gets a big +1 from me.

I thought I knew a lot about the Vietnam War but then realised I actually knew next to nothing once I'd watched the 1st episode. What I actually knew has been put in my brain by countless films and TV series rather than through actual historical events and facts.  It is a fantastic series so far and I've only watched 2 episodes.

The 1st episode in particular ties in with a book I'm reading on colonialization and ethnicity and power and slavery so I was really interested in the history of Vietnam from the start. I hadn't realised it was even a colony of France.  I assumed it was just a peaceful, agricultural nation who were taken over by Communists. When it started talking about the 1800s, I thought, "erm, what now?! that has nothing to do with the war" and then it all started to dawn on me. I love being educated like that.

The footage is absolutely superb and it pulls no punches.

Everyone with even the slightest interest in history should watch it.

I cant recommend this show enough.  Possible the best documentary I have ever watched.  I was devastated it was over.  A great history lesson and beautifully balanced view points from all the main protagonists.

I also thought I had a decent knowledge of the conflict but boy was I wrong.  Everything about this show is brilliant even thought the subject matter of it is heart breaking at practically all times.

Spoiler

How much of a fucking cunt was Nixon.

It's astonishing as the conflict amounts to a real life conspiracy that covered generations and multiple presidents. I lived in Vietnam for two years, it's hard to imagine that history is about the country I lived in. A beautiful place with wonderful people, I know that's a cliche so I'll give you an example. My mate ran of petrol one time, so a stranger went to the petrol station half a mile away and collected some in a plastic bag (!) and brought it back to him. Refused to take money.

I never spoke to locals about the war, it never felt appropriate to bring it up but I know it's a sensitive subject still. 

• Upvote 2

Been watching 2 new things.

Happy - guy at work told me about it: "There's a flying unicorn that only the main character can see, and it's a lot like the film Crank". Pretty good description

Insatiable - enjoying this so far too

On 12/08/2018 at 21:38, Haribokart said:

Aside from Better Call Saul, I am sick of the shit Netflix keeps promoting on their main page. It's all aimed at 12yo girls!

Stuff that appears on your main page is based on what you’ve watched previously.

• Upvote 4
  • Empathy 1