rllmuk
Marlowe

Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

Wolf of Wall Street was added on July 10th, but I could've sworn it was already on there? So, it was added, then however many months later, it's removed. And then added again as "new". How many films does this happen with? Would be nice if there was a way to keep track of how many times something has been added and removed.

edit: same goes for Looper. Added on July 6th as "new", apparently. Pretty sure it's been on Netflix before.

On 14/07/2018 at 20:49, dumpster said:

Loving Staircase, so far I'm three episodes in, and can't believe they haven't noticed......

Reveal hidden contents

I mean, look at the cuts and bruises on the dead body.  There's no way he's guilty, it's very clear and obvious that these injuries are caused by an owl - it's exactly like what owls do.

I'll keep watching, but it just seems so obvious that I can't believe they're pursuing the case at all. 

Wouldn't you expect a load of feathers / bits of twig?

Anyone watched The Legacy of a Whitetail Deerhunter? I’ve really enjoyed it. I was never a fan of Eastbound and Down but loved this. McBride has a lot more depth than I first thought.

One thing that is startling about The Staircase is the news shows discussing, speculating about and interpreting the evidence during the trial, and even just making stuff up too. What a completely fucked justice system that is. 

• Upvote 1

On 15/07/2018 at 18:29, Monkeyboy said:

Wolf of Wall Street was added on July 10th, but I could've sworn it was already on there? So, it was added, then however many months later, it's removed. And then added again as "new". How many films does this happen with? Would be nice if there was a way to keep track of how many times something has been added and removed.

edit: same goes for Looper. Added on July 6th as "new", apparently. Pretty sure it's been on Netflix before.

On 16/07/2018 at 13:16, ZOK said:

Yes, I watched Wolf of Wall St on Netflix ages ago. Last year, or the year before.

Maybe it's because it's the R rated one? I'd never seen that cut before. Me and Mrs. Treb watched it last week, and we were surprised to see Margot Robbie in the nudd. 

Her in an academic way, me with a far more positive and excitable response. 

• Upvote 1

Not sure if already mentioned.  But I am enjoying Final Space and i'm not a massive cartoon fan with the exception of Rick & Morty.  It does actually remind me a little of it, it's like R&M for the family.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ZOK said:

What’s best to watch - Hateful Eight or Wind River?

Hateful Eight is nearly 3 hours, I notice...

Wind River. 

I found Hateful Eight too hateful and a bit tedious. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, ZOK said:

What’s best to watch - Hateful Eight or Wind River?

Hateful Eight is nearly 3 hours, I notice...

I'd say Hateful Eight, Wind River is very predicatable.

• Upvote 3

I don’t regard myself as a QT fan at all - I don’t mind his films but only really properly rate Jackie Brown.

I didn’t know it was by him.

Thanks for your thoughts folks!

Hateful Eight had its moments, but it definitely felt a bit weak compared to stuff like Django. It's just not that interesting.

Wind River is a WAY better a film than Hateful Eight. Neither are stop everything amazing though. Hateful Eight I found a total waste of time though. Not emotionally engaging at all. Wind River is pretty by numbers story wise but it has many a poignant moment and is very well crafted.

I am certainly in the market for a film I’ve never heard of on Netflix to watch instead of either, those were just two that had popped up in this thread.

I thought How It Ends looked interesting, but the Guardian gave it two stars! :sherlock:

12 hours ago, Cool Ben said:

Not sure if already mentioned.  But I am enjoying Final Space and i'm not a massive cartoon fan with the exception of Rick & Morty.  It does actually remind me a little of it, it's like R&M for the family.

YES! Just totally binged on this. It's really... dark humour.

Final episode:

Spoiler

And so fucking sad! They killed off everyone... except they'd already proved time travel existed and so maybe, just maybe that bright light at the very end. It's gotta be, hasn't it?

Avocato! 

5 hours ago, Danster said:

Hateful eight is all about the acting. And Tim Roth is amazing.

It's also split up into acts (a bit like Inglorious Basterds) so you can watch it over a few days if 3 hours feels too long. Hateful Eight actually feels more like you're watching a play at the theatre. Worth a watch. It's close to Resevoir Dogs in that it is set in one room with some flashback sections. I liked it when I watched it.

• Upvote 1

Here's a sort of non-recommendation: American Assassin.

Seeing Michael Keaton was in it I was curious and the opening scene is pretty shocking and pulls you in.  It then goes downhill pretty quickly and it's like it does it's best to earn an 18 cert.  The action choreography is actually pretty good but it should have an award for worst CGI. So if you like watching shit CGI and gratuitous violence you should give it a go!

I looked at that too, but remembered it got a panning in here from someone.

As it was, I watched some episodes of Rick & Morty instead as I’d never seen it before. I enjoyed it a lot, seems like a funny show.

I didnt think much of Hateful 8 when I saw it at the cinema, but on repeated viewing it goes up in  my estimation every time I watch it . It really is a great Tarantino film

If you didnt catch it on BBC2 , then watch Ken Burns The Vietnam War series, which is on Netflix now. It is utterly fantastic.

Had a surprisingly good time watching Netflix film 'I Don't Feel At Home in This World Anymore'. Suitably off beat and quietly funny in a way few films are these days. Definitely a genre piece, doesn't touch your soul like a great film should, but a really fun ride and some lovely dark humour.

• Upvote 1

I like Dark Tourist for a bit of a Louis Theroux wannabe experience. It’s weird to me that people want to visit places like Fukushima in particular, whereas the abandoned Japanese mining island/city was actually quite stunning in an eerie, desolate way. 

I’ve just noticed that there are six series of French & Saunders on Netflix, starting with series 1, episode 1.

Some of the finest British comedy ever made.

• Upvote 3

Watched 'How it Ends'.  Pretty decent little movie - a sort of apocalyptic road movie.  Nicely shot with good use of CGI and who doesn't love a bit of Forest Whitaker? Having said that, I found the ending hugely dissatisfying!  

• Empathy 1

4 hours ago, El Geet said:

Watched 'How it Ends'.  Pretty decent little movie - a sort of apocalyptic road movie.  Nicely shot with good use of CGI and who doesn't love a bit of Forest Whitaker? Having said that, I found the ending hugely dissatisfying!  

The ending was bizarre. As were some loose ends. I thought it seemed unfinished.

32 minutes ago, clumpyjamie said:

The ending was bizarre. As were some loose ends. I thought it seemed unfinished.

Difficult to talk about without spoilers 

Spoiler

They either thought there might be a sequel or they’re deliberately keeping it ambiguous. But is the ambiguity supposed to be the ‘simulation’ bullshit the guy at the end went on about?

It was keeping me interested as I thought we were going to find out what caused the disaster but then we don’t. 

The way they introduce the Indian girl who then decides to wander off was also slightly bizarre. 

Despite all of that it was ok. I’m a sucker for apocalyptic stuff mind.