rllmuk
Marlowe

Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

Finally got around to starting Ozark. I watched 3 episodes today. I'm really enjoying it. Practically every character is involved in something shady or dark or wrong. The cast are great and like Breaking Bad, there isn't (yet) a single bad scene or a single character or actor that I'd say were bad. It's already got to a point where the shit has hit the fan and I can only see that shit getting much shittier ad the fan spinning faster. It's great.

I also started Wild Wild Country and it's batshit mental but true. Not even half way through but it's really a WTF documentary. 

• Upvote 1

The New Legends Of Monkey...

LOVING THIS!

Its proper cheesy entertainment! It  feels like an older show, but with some modern language and mannerisms! its ace :)

had never heard of the original, but think im gonna have to find it!

also, its got a great score...really ...80's, which i guess was the aim, as the show feels like that. but in a nostalgic way :)

46 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

LOVING THIS!

Its proper cheesy entertainment! It  feels like an older show, but with some modern language and mannerisms! its ace :)

also, its got a great score...really ...80's, which i guess was the aim, as the show feels like that. but in a nostalgic way :)

If you want a taster of the original, knock yourself out...

It was a regular thing on BBC2 when I was a kid.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, 5R7 said:

LOVING THIS!

I found these reviews of the boxset of the original series on Amazon.  Hope they're helpful. 

IMG_0359.thumb.PNG.ec363a2f65d4728cbd09e0b4f31a62bb.PNG

• Upvote 2

On 26/04/2018 at 19:46, JohnC said:

First season of Happy! has gone up.

Just finished the first episode, what a treat. Been a fan of  Keller Christopher Meloni for a long time, and this seems like the perfect part for him. These are good times for television, so much diversity these days. 

Dark is excellent but as the name suggests it's bleak as hell. It's utterly engrossing in terms of plot but I didn't think it had any likeable or memorable characters.

Altered Carbon seems to be quite divisive here. I really enjoyed it but it is a bit skittish on providing much in the way of details or context. Looks great. Can be a bit soap opera-ish at times in terms of acting.

Dark all the way. 

I couldnt get get on with AC at all despite the subject matter being something I’d usually be all over. 

I assume you’ve already seen other well received series such as Ozark, Godless or The Sinner? Three brilliant series. 

3 hours ago, schmojo said:

If you're sheepish about people seeing what you're watching, Altered Carbon has quite a lot of tits and that in it.

Godless has some wobbly willies too.

On 04/06/2018 at 14:31, kempstar said:

Certainly sounds like Dark is the one.

I loved Ozark, thought The Sinner was dreadful, and haven't seen Godless.

Godless is superb. 

Curious as to why you thought The Sinner was so bad? The end is a little unsatisfactory but incredible performances from Biel and Pullman. 

18 hours ago, James Lyon said:

Finished Wild, Wild Country a little while ago. Cracking.

I've watched 3 episodes thus far and the editing is putting me off. It feels like I am watching an hour long trailer. I will finish it as it is a compelling story but the fast cuts and brief talking head elements are something I find difficult to watch. It doesn't seem like a documentary - it feels like a mockumentary because of it.

On 05/06/2018 at 08:17, SpagMasterSwift said:

Finished The People Vs OJ Simpson last night, incredible TV.

Yes! And It’s even more amazing at the end when they show how they have created virtual doubles of everyone involved - except for flipping CGJr, who looks more like Kramer in that episode when he turned his apartment into a smoking den than OJ Simpson.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, El Geet said:

Godless is superb. 

Curious as to why you thought The Sinner was so bad? The end is a little unsatisfactory but incredible performances from Biel and Pullman. 

I didnt get to the end, I was bored way before then.

I loved the concept, I just felt that there wasnt enough in there to string it out over a full series. I think it would have worked much better as a film. I agree with you about Pullman.

I watched episode 1 of Godless yesterday, thought it was great.

The updated and re-visited true-crime documentary series The Staircase is on Netflix today.

Haven't watched the original episodes since it was released back in 2004.

This series has the original episodes plus an additional three which director Jean-Xavier de Lestrade goes back to interview Peterson.

If you have never heard of the show, best to go in blind, but otherwise here is the trailer for the new updated series:

• Upvote 1

On 06/06/2018 at 05:55, neoELITE said:

I've watched 3 episodes thus far and the editing is putting me off. It feels like I am watching an hour long trailer. I will finish it as it is a compelling story but the fast cuts and brief talking head elements are something I find difficult to watch. It doesn't seem like a documentary - it feels like a mockumentary because of it.

I never even noticed that it cuts like that. It seemed like a well-balanced documentary depsite that. 'Seemed like' because there was obviously a lot more to tell.

Strangely, the final episode got me rather emotional when they looked back at how the dream they had built died. I thought it was rather nice that Sheala...

Spoiler

... now owned and ran a care home despite seeming to have little in the way of guilt and blaming everyone else. I hope there's not some nefarious tax dodge reasons of whatever behind it...

On 06/06/2018 at 10:19, kempstar said:

I watched episode 1 of Godless yesterday, thought it was great.

Godless is well shot and produced. However, it is way too predictable while viewing. You always know what is going to happen before it happens. I think it's because it gives away too much in episode one, then proceeds to elaborate on it for another six episodes. Good, not great.

11 hours ago, yashiro said:

Godless is well shot and produced. However, it is way too predictable while viewing. You always know what is going to happen before it happens. I think it's because it gives away too much in episode one, then proceeds to elaborate on it for another six episodes. Good, not great.

Yes, also the shootout was terrible, a bit of an anti-climax that last episode.