rllmuk
Marlowe

Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

Yeah I just watched it thinking... well.. what the? But what the? and...? Huh!  But it is very very pretty.

On 4/15/2018 at 12:49, JohnC said:

It’s just told me that Beyond Skyline has been added. I have seen it alleged that it is much better than the original. Perhaps even good. 

It's really not.  It's almost in the "so bad it's good" camp, but doesn't quite cut it. It's just really bad.

There’s a new Danish Netflix original series getting decent early buzz called “The Rain”, set in a post-apocalyptic world where even a single drop of rain kills you. The story focuses on a teenage brother and sister who emerge from a secure bunker six years after everything kicked off to find most of the population dead. They decide to set off to find their father, a scientist, to see if knows any more about what’s going on. 

Have a trailer:

Seems like it’s in Danish with English subs.

On 26/04/2018 at 18:46, JohnC said:

First season of Happy! has gone up.

Watched a few of these, it's great.

Also watched the Greg Davies stand up thing, was pretty good.

I see Monty Python stuff is on Netflix now, but no Meaning of Life? It's a great addition to the more well-known films, if you haven't seen it. Some of their best songs in there as well.

• Upvote 1

I watched the trailer and all the bits I wanted to see (like the blowing on the finger, monkey being tortured, the big poo egg, the music) were absent. He does fly on a cloud still tho.

Watching Evil Genius a four episode documentary. Fascinating and bewildering stuff. Came out today. On episode 3 already.

I remember the Brian Wells incident so clearly from the time. I was fascinated for weeks by it. Can’t wait to watch the show.

Anyone else watch The Alienist? Subject matter makes this uncomfortable viewing at times but my wife and I were gripped. Highly recommended.

Hated Happy!

Really enjoyed SAFE with the bloke out of Dexter being English.   The plot is utterly ludicrous but if you can overlook that it's really good with some good twists.

Happy fails, for me, largely because of the creature. It's too stupid of a concept for an adult show and the CG is terrible.

• Empathy 1

9 hours ago, JPickford said:

Hated Happy!

I was on verge of turning it off after first few minutes, once the unicorn thing turned up it went straight off

• Empathy 1

The Rain is pretty dull, like "babies first post apocalypse". Whole episodes build up to massively obvious reveals without any impact.

19 hours ago, Zero9X said:

Watching Evil Genius a four episode documentary. Fascinating and bewildering stuff. Came out today. On episode 3 already.

Jesus...quite the start to that. Oof!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Moz said:

The Rain is pretty dull, like "babies first post apocalypse". Whole episodes build up to massively obvious reveals without any impact.

Whilst I'm enjoying it so far it does remind me of The 100. Beautifully shot though.

3 hours ago, Moz said:

Whilst I'm enjoying it so far it does remind me of The 100. Beautifully shot though.

The podcast Casefile recently covered the same case as Evil Genius. Very weird case all round. 

The lost honour of Christopher Jeffries

I think this has been mentioned elsewhere in this thread. It’s brilliant, probably the best thing I’ve seen on Netflix full stop.  Perfectly scripted and acted. I had no knowledge of the events themselves which only added to the tension.

If you haven’t already seen it, stop whatever it is your doing and put this on straight away.

5/5

• Upvote 3

We quite enjoyed The Rain but it was the same sort of watchable crap like Lost In Space. 

• Upvote 1

Evil Genius is absolutely amazing. Watch asap.

Flint Town was decent, but definitely felt like Cops just with a hip, moody soundtrack at times.

Also I'm not a huge anime guy, but One Punch Man is a must watch.

15 hours ago, sofasurfer said:

I had The Rain on my radar till the Guardian review made it sound like The 100 crossed with The Walking Dead, which sounded like a very, very bad thing to me. 

Over the garden wall is on Netflix now. It's a single series animation which is absolutely wonderful and everyone should watch. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Miner Willy said:

I had The Rain on my radar till the Guardian review made it sound like The 100 crossed with The Walking Dead, which sounded like a very, very bad thing to me. 

Its a completely standard teen dystopian show. But it goes along a clip and it's fun. A good time sink.

10 hours ago, ChewMagma said:

Evil Genius is absolutely amazing. Watch asap.

Flint Town was decent, but definitely felt like Cops just with a hip, moody soundtrack at times.

Also I'm not a huge anime guy, but One Punch Man is a must watch.

Flint Town was great, what a crazy crazy place. 

Just started watching Evil Genius and so far it's brilliant, a bit shocking and mad so far. 

almost finished Safe.

good enough and watchable, but it is inauthentic - casting is all over the shop, hall’s accent doesn’t work, and the varying production levels are jarring.

another instance of netflix muscling in on a market space led by competitors (in this instance, uk crime mystery/drama) and not quite getting it.