rllmuk
Marlowe

Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

Well I can’t recommend Lost in Space, more like lost in bloat with too much stuff around the main story. Just skim watched the series . 

Finally watched The Lost Honour of Christopher Jeffries which was superb, re the press coverage of the Jo Yates murder. Mailed a mate about it and he replied ‘the creepy landlord?’ which sums up the whole warped public perception of the case and subsequent Levinson enquiry.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, macosx said:

Well I can’t recommend Lost in Space, more like lost in bloat with too much stuff around the main story. Just skim watched the series . 

Finally watched The Lost Honour of Christopher Jeffries which was superb, re the press coverage of the Jo Yates murder. Mailed a mate about it and he replied ‘the creepy landlord?’ which sums up the whole warped public perception of the case and subsequent Levinson enquiry.

I had forgotten all about this so appreciate the reminder. Will add it to by watch list...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, James Lyon said:

I just got a content warning when watching an episode of The Punisher: "This programme contains product placement."

Eh? Er, thanks for telling me.

That's an Ofcom rule which I assume Netflix are now complying with - same reason there's that weird symbol on ITV shows like Coronation Street (which is packed with product placement although nothing like as badly as the Netflix Marvel shows are). I'd say most UK shows don't have much of it though so you don't see it that often.

I've noticed they've started putting age certificates in the top left after you start watching now, too.

8 hours ago, deerokus said:

That's an Ofcom rule which I assume Netflix are now complying with - same reason there's that weird symbol on ITV shows like Coronation Street (which is packed with product placement although nothing like as badly as the Netflix Marvel shows are). I'd say most UK shows don't have much of it though so you don't see it that often.

I've noticed they've started putting age certificates in the top left after you start watching now, too.

I don't know what that says of me that I didn't even notice what they were trying to sell.

Why the fuck do people making Netflix originals shoot them in 2.35:1 aspect ratio ?

Wild wild country is a documentary, it won’t be shown in a cinema - it seems a wanky choice by frustrated film makers who won’t accept their paymasters and audience will be watching on a 16:9 screen. I get why the old footage is in 4:3, that can’t be helped.

First ep didnt really grab me but will try a second

• Upvote 2

On 14/04/2018 at 15:55, Stevie said:

I saw Rats last night, brilliant documentary on rats. Its eye opening. Watch it ASAP. 

I just watched it on the recommendations in this thread. The Louisiana lab bit, followed up with the Cambodia/Vietnam bit nearly made me lose my lunch :(

I never realised the problem was so bad with them, but I guess it isn't in our interests to know we're on the verge of becoming subjugated by our Skaven overlords. 

• Upvote 2

On 4/15/2018 at 12:49, JohnC said:

It’s just told me that Beyond Skyline has been added. I have seen it alleged that it is much better than the original. Perhaps even good. 

It's really not.  It's almost in the "so bad it's good" camp, but doesn't quite cut it. It's just really bad.

There’s a new Danish Netflix original series getting decent early buzz called “The Rain”, set in a post-apocalyptic world where even a single drop of rain kills you. The story focuses on a teenage brother and sister who emerge from a secure bunker six years after everything kicked off to find most of the population dead. They decide to set off to find their father, a scientist, to see if knows any more about what’s going on. 

Have a trailer:

Seems like it’s in Danish with English subs.

On 26/04/2018 at 18:46, JohnC said:

First season of Happy! has gone up.

Watched a few of these, it's great.

Also watched the Greg Davies stand up thing, was pretty good.

I see Monty Python stuff is on Netflix now, but no Meaning of Life? It's a great addition to the more well-known films, if you haven't seen it. Some of their best songs in there as well.

• Upvote 1

I remember the Brian Wells incident so clearly from the time. I was fascinated for weeks by it. Can’t wait to watch the show.

Anyone else watch The Alienist? Subject matter makes this uncomfortable viewing at times but my wife and I were gripped. Highly recommended.

Hated Happy!

Really enjoyed SAFE with the bloke out of Dexter being English.   The plot is utterly ludicrous but if you can overlook that it's really good with some good twists.

9 hours ago, JPickford said:

Hated Happy!

I was on verge of turning it off after first few minutes, once the unicorn thing turned up it went straight off

• Empathy 1

The Rain is pretty dull, like "babies first post apocalypse". Whole episodes build up to massively obvious reveals without any impact.