rllmuk
Marlowe

Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

12 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

Absolutely loved it. Knew nothing about the story going in and it blew my mind.

Fancy the pants off Sheela too...

There was a great bit in episode 2 where she talks about people coming from the west who were interested in spiritualism and meditation and that. Then she says 'we had no interest in them. We just wanted engineers, city planners, architects. People to build things.' No messing around there!

I found WWC a bit boring and thought they dragged the arse out of it. But Sheela was fab. 

That’s interesting. I have watched the first three and haven’t found that so far - I like that they are building up a detailed picture of both sides

• Upvote 2

Yeah I found the whole series riveting and even though I'm all against cults and religions I probably would join that one!

Some thoughts though

So we found out they were listening to everyone with wire taps but never really much detail about what they heard and how they used it apart from the thing with the gurus doctor, seems like there is a lot more to the story that hasn't or can't be told.

On 06/04/2018 at 10:04, Benny said:

I've seen Nightcrawler, but for those who haven't yet and might be using the thread for Netflix recommendations, why not use the handy "spoiler" function? Otherwise, anyone who wants to watch it I would advise they don't read the previous page.

Too late.  To be fair, the whole spoiler thing is really difficult to grasp.

Don’t Kill It - starring Dolph Lundgren.

Comedy horror film about a demon possessing people and turning them into crazed murderers - the demon then transfers into whoever kills them. Rinse and repeat.

If you like bad films a la The Room or Troll 2 you should watch this. It’s intended to be a comedy, but it raises more unintentional laughs. Tonally it’s all over the place, the gender politics are terrible despite an extended lecture on consent by Mr. Lundgren himself, the FBI agent is awful, characters say stuff that flat out doesn’t make sense or contradicts what is happening, and there are two particular highlights (the town meeting, consoling the bereaved father).

Please watch.

Watched the whole of Wild Wild Country over the weekend! 

What a roller coaster of a story, it was fantastically made and a great sound track. It really shows the two different perspectives and no one really comes out looking good. I do know what side I'd have rather been on though and it wasn't with the conservative american Christian bigots.  

Ma Anand Sheela is one of the most fascinating people, she's on another level. I laughed out loud with some the stuff she came out with! But, she's also a psycho , right?  lol

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Floyd said:

Watched the whole of Wild Wild Country over the weekend! 

What a roller coaster of a story, it was fantastically made and a great sound track. It really shows the two different perspectives and no one really comes out looking good. I do know what side I'd have rather been on though and it wasn't with the conservative american Christian bigots.  

Ma Anand Sheela is one of the most fascinating people, she's on another level. I laughed out loud with some the stuff she came out with! But, she's also a psycho , right?  lol

I want to know what went on in her private hidden quarters complete with hot-tub.

2 hours ago, Minion said:

I want to know what went on in her private hidden quarters complete with hot-tub.

I think you can imagine what ever you need on that one! :lol:

Defiant Ones is an excellent documentary series.  It's much wider in scope than these things usually are - partly because Iovine in particular is someone I knew very little about, and who is a totally fascinating character, a sort of music industry Forrest Gump who has been involved with a plethora of key moments and figures in American music and popular culture.  That's what makes it special. Beautifully edited too. 

It's long for a documentary, but it's well worth it. Just about every single interviewee is great!

• Upvote 5

Aw don't say that. Watched up to ep6 and don't think I've laughed so much at an anime before. I love it. 

Really like the different animation styles in use as well. 

New Greg Davies stand up is pretty funny. 

Watched the first one.  Well made,  awful, clunky script.   Only perked up the end when Parker Posey showed up.   The first utterance of "Danger Will Robinson" made no sense.

One Punch Man is a good laugh if you like anime, a silly premise with plenty of chuckles, featuring Dragon Ball style fighting and an imaginative group of heroes. I ended up watching the whole season in one evening. It's a riff on your standard hero anime, where baldy One Punch Man can kill anything with one punch, but he gets no recognition. It mocks loads of stuff like overdramatic back stories and hero tropes, yet still remains interesting - how do you make a show out of a guy who can kill anything? Well, he adopts a sidekick and joins a superhero league full of colourful characters to try and get noticed, whilst facing off against huge monsters and anti-heroes. Many of the episodes revolve around these side characters. It's got a good sense of humour and a cool art style too.

• Upvote 2

Another vote for Wild Wild Country, brilliantly made and very even handed. I'm only two episodes in and it's gripping, knew nothing about it all before apart from I guess the many Simpsons episodes which are inspired by it. 

2 hours ago, cassidy said:

Was he not in danger? 

He wasn't, but someone else was. Will was the only one he knew at this point, so he directed it at him, talking to him. I don't know what the problem is with that.