rllmuk
Marlowe

Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

4 episodes into Dark, thanks to the recommendations here – it's brilliant! Thanks guys.

So, another +1 for Dark

• Upvote 2

On 25/03/2018 at 18:08, Minion said:

Is this the film based on the book? I didn't realise it had come out but the book was rubbish so I'm not surprised.

I believe it is. I love Eggars ' Pirate Supplies shop but I guess screenplays are a different beast. 

On 25/03/2018 at 19:57, Wizcat said:

"The Defiant Ones" follows the converging paths of Dr Dre and producer Jimmy Iovine

I don't particularly know why I started watching this. I have no interest at all in rap music, and had never heard of Jimmy Iovine... But it's absolutely fabulous stuff. Genuinely interesting stories that are really well told. Loads of short interviews with music legends that they crossed paths with, and simply brilliant editing. 

Best thing I've watched in ages. You should stop what you're doing and watch this. Highly recommended

On 27/03/2018 at 08:09, cassidy said:

Second this. Just got the last episode to watch and enjoyed every one so far. 

On 28/03/2018 at 08:45, curium said:

The Defiant Ones.

Really enjoyed it. A story well told.

What a fantastic taking head documentary. I already knew Dre's story but personally had never heard of James Iovine. Really good, warts and all story telling.

Finished Money Heist (still a terrible title) this afternoon. It was pretty good fun but totally ridiculous. And so convoluted it made the likes of 24 or Prison Break look basic. Second season is up in a week. 

Is there a Netflix Original of anything that doesn’t mention Uber? Are they part of the same company or something?

• Upvote 1

I watched Ravenous the other day - a low budget French zombie film that seemed to be directed by different people as it was really disjointed and full of ideas that were never concluded or explained. It was OK in parts but it really was hit and miss.

Both The Hitman's Bodyguard and Valerian have been added to Netflix today. They're both decent, but not amazing. 

I enjoyed the Hitman's Bodyguard but then again if Ryan Reynolds is in something it's difficult to disappoint me. Has some tunes on the soundtrack too if I recall correctly 

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets is on netflix already, it only came out on bluray a little while ago.

i loved it :D  big colourful fun.

• Upvote 2

Almost Royal seasons 1 & 2.

Comedy faux documentary where Ed Gamble and Amy Hogartt pretend to be 50th & 51st in line to the throne and travel the US as it was the final wish of their father. 

Cue many misunderstandings and cultural pisstaking.

I got around to watching Okja at the weekend - what an amazing film! Tonally it’s completely all over the place, but really gets its hooks into you. Loved it.

• Upvote 2

A double whammy of Nightcrawler and Prisoners this weekend has left me just about ready to slit my wrists. Which I think is a recommendation if you like performance heavy, thought provoking, noir thrillers.  Top Easter viewing.

• Upvote 2

Jesus, both great but you need to go watch something heartwarming and uplifting quickly (also, have a shower) 

Try Sing Street or Hunt for the Wilderpeople and report back, let us know you’re OK. 

1 hour ago, KartoffelKopf said:

Jesus, both great but you need to go watch something heartwarming and uplifting quickly (also, have a shower) 

Try Sing Street or Hunt for the Wilderpeople and report back, let us know you’re OK. 

Anyone who hasn't seen this yet is missing out on an absolute gem of a film. I watched it on my own on a Friday night, then watched it again on the Saturday and made my wife join in (she loved it). It's wonderful and genuinely laugh out loud funny in places. One of the best movies I've seen on Netflix.

• Upvote 6

I thought Nightcrawler was pretty garbage really. I mean it’s definitely watchable b-movie fare, but the notion that he becomes some successful newshound by standing a bit closer than everyone else made the whole thing ridiculous I thought.

I also watched John Wick this weekend. Decidedly underwhelming I thought, given the love it gets here. Some funny bits though.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

It's been a while since I watched Nightcrawler, but is that all he did? Just stand a bit closer? I thought it was because he was willing to do whatever it takes, to go places that no-one else would go to, a sociopath who didn't give two fucks about anyone other than himself. Yeah, it's trashy in a lot of ways. But it's beautiful trash.

• Upvote 1

Nah.  He tampered with crime scenes, lied, extorted, bullied, intimidated and assaulted people.  It's interesting to have such a morally bankrupt character in the main role.  Also, I'm a sucker for the whole seedy neon city at night thang.

• Upvote 1

Yes, he does other stuff, some of it equally nonsensical (ie his chance of getting away with the thing at the end would be less than zero, so how he ends up with two vans and interns is just silly), but the whole premise of the film is predicated on him being the only person who has realised if you stand two foot closer you get closer footage.

It’s just a dumb film - and there is nothing wrong with that because it’s fun with it, but that’s all it is. Beautiful trash (in my view) would be something like Spring Breakers - and Nightcrawler is no Spring Breakers.

On a separate note, just finished watching the third ep of Wild Wild Country, and am nuts about it. Absolutely superb doc, the sort of thing that makes your Netflix sub feel like a bargain.

• Upvote 7

I don’t understand why Game Over, Man has such terrible reviews.

It’s not the greatest comedy by any means, but if the idea of a slapstick, gross-out, stoner comedy homage to Die Hard is at all appealing, I can’t imagine you’d be disappointed. 

12 hours ago, grindmouse said:

I don’t understand why Game Over, Man has such terrible reviews.

It’s not the greatest comedy by any means, but if the idea of a slapstick, gross-out, stoner comedy homage to Die Hard is at all appealing, I can’t imagine you’d be disappointed. 

The trailer looked decent but I bailed after less than 30 minutes. It was absolute dogshit. 

And I liked both the show they did (Workaholics?) and the Groundhog Day romcom the short one was in that's on Netflix. 

7 minutes ago, Pelekophoros said:

The trailer looked decent but I bailed after less than 30 minutes. It was absolute dogshit. 

And I liked both the show they did (Workaholics?) and the Groundhog Day romcom the short one was in that's on Netflix. 

Game Over, Man was much better than the Groundhog Day rom com. I just find Adam Devine's face hilarious, perhaps I'm easily pleased.

Watched and thoroughly enjoyed Bullet Head last night. It's listed on imdb as a crime, drama, thriller, but this was a horror flick for me, with a fucking beast of a dog hunting three guys hiding out in an abandoned building after a robbery. I loved how everyone had their backstory moment (even the dog). Good cast and performances too. Strange film to find a multiple Oscar nominee and a best actor winner in though!

On 4/3/2018 at 22:48, ZOK said:

On a separate note, just finished watching the third ep of Wild Wild Country, and am nuts about it. Absolutely superb doc, the sort of thing that makes your Netflix sub feel like a bargain.

Absolutely loved it. Knew nothing about the story going in and it blew my mind.

Fancy the pants off Sheela too...

3 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

Absolutely loved it. Knew nothing about the story going in and it blew my mind.

Fancy the pants of Sheela too...

She was quite something.   Unrepentant too.