Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

Anyone watched the rebooted Queer Eye? It's... surprisingly good. Not about a bunch of gay guys really, as much as talking about current social issues in America - religion, Trumpism, loneliness, cops and black people, etc.

I binged it in 3 days. Blubbed twice. If you are even remotely interested in the format, give it a go.

On 02/03/2018 at 12:58, NickC said:

Anyone watched the rebooted Queer Eye? It's... surprisingly good. Not about a bunch of gay guys really, as much as talking about current social issues in America - religion, Trumpism, loneliness, cops and black people, etc.

I binged it in 3 days. Blubbed twice. If you are even remotely interested in the format, give it a go.

Binged it all. Made me cry and laugh. It's really uplifting, full of relentless positivity. 

On 02/03/2018 at 20:22, grounded_dreams said:

Flint Town is already reverting and horrifying at the same time, even after a few episodes. Looking like its going to be an excellent documentary series

Saw a 5* review on the Guardian, didnt think it possible to think any worse of the US then you watch something like this, geez.

Queer Eye is amazing. I don't know if it's cabin fever after being confined to the house for a few snow days but I find myself tearing up a lot during it. It's really funny that 4 of the lads are recommending stuff like eating more avocados, use moisturiser, don't wear jeans shorts etc. And the fifth lad is rebuilding an entire house. 

Flint Town is already reverting and horrifying at the same time, even after a few episodes. Looking like its going to be an excellent documentary series

Watched the first couple of episodes and have to agree, grimly fascinating stuff. Love the way it’s filmed as well, looks far more cinematic than the typical documentary.

A Friend of mine has just seen Alex Garland’s latest, Annihilation, and describes it as ‘a masterpiece’. Says it’s a real shame it’s straight to Netflix over here though as it is really works on th3 big screen...

Travelers is kind of exactly what you expect - one of those Canadian scifi shows which all seem to use the same actors and locations around Vancouver, which tend to have a good central concept and lots other interesting ideas but far too low a budget for what they're trying to do. In this one consciousnesses are sent back to the present from some sort of post-apocalyptic to the present to take over the bodies of certain people at the exact moment they die. As well as trying to prevent the future catastrophe through various missions they're sent they have to deal with maintaining the cover of the identities they have adopted. One of them ends up in the body of a junkie, one of them in the body of a woman with a developmental disability who everyone notices suddenly doesn't have said disability.

It's entertaining enough and worth watching if you liked Continuum and that type of show - it's more about the characters dealing with the weird situation and less about time paradoxes and the like, which is a  it different for this sort of thing. 

It depends how far you've got with Travelers. I d say that it deals quite a lot with the time travel aspect. Its not really the kind of thing that requires much special effects. I'd agree that it is quite character driven also. I've been enjoying S2 a fair bit more than S1. Its created by the Stargate TV series creator Brad Wright . Amanda Tapping also of Stargate fame directs a few episodes in S2 as well as making a brief appearance. My favourite character is Trevor who at the age of well past a hundred in his time has entered the body of a 17 year old football jock schoolkid. His performance is probably the most convincing 

Ah only done s1 so far, I have heard s2 is better. Yeah, he's probably the best actor. 

The acting is a big part of what makes it work. Most of the main cast are nearly unknown actors so everyone seems quite 'ordinary' in exactly the right way. It even took me a while to realise that McLaren is played by Will from Will and Grace. 

Van Helsing. I have no idea why I’m watching it. I’m not sure I’m even recommending it but I’ve found it compelling enough to watch 5 episodes  in a couple of days.   It’s a bit like Walking Dead but with vampires and I guess you kind of want to know what happens next. 

The thing with these types of shows is I never understand how they can’t avoid stupid plot holes/ devices. 

So yeah. Probably would avoid but I think I’ll get to the end of the first season. 

17 hours ago, El Geet said:

Van Helsing. I have no idea why I’m watching it. I’m not sure I’m even recommending it but I’ve found it compelling enough to watch 5 episodes  in a couple of days.   It’s a bit like Walking Dead but with vampires and I guess you kind of want to know what happens next. 

The thing with these types of shows is I never understand how they can’t avoid stupid plot holes/ devices. 

So yeah. Probably would avoid but I think I’ll get to the end of the first season. 

It's much better than The Walking Dead is now. Gets a bit silly towards the end of Season 2 but it's usually watchable.

On 04/03/2018 at 16:28, Fierce Poodle said:

Watched the first couple of episodes and have to agree, grimly fascinating stuff. Love the way it’s filmed as well, looks far more cinematic than the typical documentary.

I watch the full 8 episodes over the weekend. I thought it was nicely shot and it was interesting enough to keep me at it but I think it was missing something overall -

Spoiler

It didn't seem to have a great deal of focus. I was expecting something specific to the Flint police was gonna happen, like one of them getting hurt or one them shooting someone or brutalising a community member but nothing like that happened anywhere in Flint. Nor did they focus much on the contaminated water scandal that was going on, except as a general backdrop to the whole thing, same with the Black Lives Matter movement, that was all stuff happening elsewhere.

It got a lot more interesting when it came to the Presidential Election, as some tensions between the black officers and the white officers began to rear their heads, but that was in the last couple of episodes then it just ended.

I see it's classed as 'season 1' and it looks like it ended shortly after the Election, so maybe 'season 2' will go in that (much more interesting imo) direction.

The footage that was shown from other shootings in the news, particularly the gunman in Dallas were horrific - I've never watched any of those full scenes anywhere, I always stick with the edited clips we get on the news. That's more than enough for me, but fuck, it brings home the reality of what's going on in America seeing it like that, executions basically. Genuinely shocked me. But it was still interesting to hear the views of the local police at the time this stuff was going on.

The least disturbing bit for me was seeing Trump getting an earful from the headmistress of the local school for trying to turn a presentation to a student into a political speech about Crooked Hillary. What a prick.

It might not sound like I liked it that much from the spoiler, but I'm definitely in for season 2, should it come to pass.

8 hours ago, gospvg said:

Midnight Special has been added to netflix. Good sci-fi film.

The director said one of his influences was Starman. Which I think is the better film. Probably one of John Carpenter's best as well, even though most people talk about his horror stuff.

It’s bloody brilliant. It’s getting a lot of plaudits all over the place. Pretty much guaranteed another season, I would have thought. 

On 2/9/2018 at 03:23, deerokus said:

La Casa De Papel seems to have been renamed Money Heist if anyone is looking for it. 

Shit name, like a car chase film called 'Cars Chasing Each Other'

This is awesome. Up to episode 8 now and loving it.

Finished Money Heist. Great stuff. If you like heist movies, you can't go wrong with a full season of it. Well, you could, but they manage to keep the twists coming and the pace at a good level. I was gripped throughout.

Second season hitting Netflix early April. Can't wait.

Me too, loved it and blubbed a few times. Great show; pitched perfectly. The super camp hair stylist is annoying though.

I saw a recommendation for the Money Heist elsewhere the other day and am a couple of eps in - its fast paced and feels like it knows where its going, similar in tone to the first season of Locked Up (another spanish show on Walter Presents)

Good news is it also has an english dub if you can't be bothered with subtitles, which I have to admit when lying down on sofa I can't always.

I quite enjoyed Ravenous, that French language zombie flick that appeared last week. It’s nicely shot and has some half interesting Romero-esque themes running through it. Not incredible, but well worth watching if you’re into that sort of stuff.

Not as good as the hugely underrated Ravenous from ‘99, with Robert Carlisle, David Arquette and Guy Pierce. That’s nasty, beautiful, funny and has a stunning musical score. If you haven’t seen it, you should. It used to be on the UK service, don’t know if it still is.