rllmuk
Marlowe

Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

I tried to watch the Wet Hot American Summer film. Made it about fifteen minutes in before turning it off. Unfunny, dull and with completely unlikeable characters. I don't really fancy the series.

I had exactly the same feelings about the film, I thought it was utter shite (and unfunny).

I gave the series a go because I was bored and it's a lot better than the film...give the first episode a go and see what you think.

The series is much better than the film. You have to remember the film was the first thing a lot of those involved had ever made. 15 years later and theyve got a lot more experience at comedy especially the likes of Poehler and Cooper.

S4 of American Horror Horror story up on UK.

I started watching tonight, and my overriding impression is that it isn't Carnivale, but I want it to be.

Now, I'm well aware that's unfair on AHS. It's its own show and it does a lot really well. I'm enjoying it, although it does my coulrophobia no favours. I'm looking forward to finding out where the series goes. And yet I can't help but wish I was watching a third season of Carnivale.

Watched Kung Fu Killer last night. Nothing that will set the world alight, but some good martial arts action if you like Donnie Yen. (I'm not running out of things to watch on Netflix or anything...)

• Upvote 1

AHS 3 is the best series. There is some great stuff in 4, but it's not the best one.

However, it does have Dandy in it, and he is the best character of any American horror Story series ever, so it gets a pass from me.

• Upvote 2

Watched Kung Fu Killer last night. Nothing that will set the world alight, but some good martial arts action if you like Donnie Yen. (I'm not running out of things to watch on Netflix or anything...)

Ooh I'll have some of that, thanks added to watchlist.

Netflix stops me playing games :(

The Red Army is on Canadian, excellent doc about The Soviet Ice-Hockey team. Gets really interesting when moving onto the politics of soviet players trying to move to NHL.

I watched Would You Rather. It was rubbish. A half decent premise but it was predictable. It was a bit Saw in tone. 3/10

Also watched Best Laid Plans - it was OK. A bit soppy but a 'grim oop North' film with decent actors. Premise is, a special needs bloke cage fights to pay his carers debt off. 6/10

Circle's on my list - also check out Housebound which is an Aussie film where a girl on parole is limited to her home with one of those ankle restraints. Little does she know that her insufferable mother and step father are the least of her problems...

Recently watched both these films and enjoyed them both.

Housebound (New Zealand film not Australian btw) was a great mix of being creepy and very funny.

Kung Fu Killer wasn't anything special overall (I can't even remember how it ended now) but had some good action. If you're really into Hong Kong/Martial Arts films you may appreciate it more because there's quite a few cameos and guest appearances from people in that industry.

I finally got around to watching Better Call Saul over the last 2 nights. Excellent stuff and really liked it. Apart from one thing:

Knowing what becomes of the characters during Breaking Bad kind of brings me down. You watch this and see Saul in a new light where you really feel for him and you want him to succeed and you know that won't happen. Likewise with the Mike storyline, you know what happens to him (fuck you Walt) and he doesn't succeed in getting money for his granddaughter. It's a bit depressing.

Captain Phillips has popped up on Netflix Canada today.

It's been on Netherlands for a few months now, still not gotten round to watching it.

Frozen Fever is on Netflix Canada/USA part of Walt Disney Shorts collection.

post-18024-0-14140000-1445954857.jpg

Kung Fu Killer wasn't anything special overall (I can't even remember how it ended now) but had some good action. If you're really into Hong Kong/Martial Arts films you may appreciate it more because there's quite a few cameos and guest appearances from people in that industry.

I saw Kung Fu Killer a couple of weeks ago and decided not to recommend it...So much ropey CGI!

It's been on Netherlands for a few months now, still not gotten round to watching it.

Frozen Fever is on Netflix Canada/USA part of Walt Disney Shorts collection. 22796424.jpg

The shorts are good. Feast and Get A Horse are amazing. Frozen Fever is just shit though. Abysmal.

Finally got round to seeing Whiplash after the recommendations on here; I think I avoided it this long as I thought it would be all about music/drumming, but it's broader than that. Amazing performances all around and real food for thought for me as a creative person, provoked an interesting discussion with a friend as to whether those teaching methods can ever be justified.

Housebound which is an Aussie film where a girl on parole is limited to her home with one of those ankle restraints. Little does she know that her insufferable mother and step father are the least of her problems...

The wifi is shite? :mellow:

Kingsman: The Secret Service is due on Netflix Canada on Sunday. Never saw it myself but thought it was worth a mention.

I've had a look through the November releases across the US, Canadian and UK libraries and it's fair to say Netflix are not spending much money buying the rights to anything. I think they've really lost sight of why people subscribe.

• Upvote 2

There's a neat little indie film that's just showed up on UK Netflix called "Circle". A bunch of people in a circle have to vote who dies next in two minute increments. It's not amazing, but still a decent watch. There's also someone in it whose dressed like retired wrestler IRS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAlpm2oRzy8

I watched this last night based on your recommendation and really enjoyed it - thanks for the heads up!

Kingsman: The Secret Service is due on Netflix Canada on Sunday. Never saw it myself but thought it was worth a mention.

I've had a look through the November releases across the US, Canadian and UK libraries and it's fair to say Netflix are not spending much money buying the rights to anything. I think they've really lost sight of why people subscribe.

Keep an eye out on Spain, it seems to be getting a lot of films like John Wick. But yeah, I'm concerned that Nefoix focus too much on original content instead of getting new movies. Even that announcement by Disney launching their own Netfoix style service was a worry - didn't Netflix just sign a deal with Disney about 12 months ago?

Any good horror flicks on UK Netflix anyone can recommend at the moment? I've got From Beyond on my list but haven't looked at the selection in ages.

By good, I mean stuff like The Entity (1982), Zombie Flesh Eaters, Re-Animator etc, not garbage like Wolf Creek please!

The surprisingly good 1990 colour remake of Night of the Living Dead is on the South American and Netherlands services.

Edit: Have you seen [REC]? That's on there somewhere too.

Wake in Fright? On Australia, Canada and NZ. Not reeeeally a horror but strangely unsettling all the same.

• Upvote 1