Marlowe

Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

MV5BMTUxMzQwNDQ1OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODE5OTgyMQ@@._V1._SY317_CR9,0,214,317_.jpg

Finished watching Vernon, Florida, an old Errol Morris documentary from 1981. It's just a few locals from a tiny town out in the sticks in Florida, talking about life and what's important too them. They're talking about awfully banal stuff sometimes, but it's really sweetly made and at times, really funny, but you're never really laughing at the subjects. It's really nicely paced too and comes in at under an hour, so it's worth a gamble.

Vernon was also the subject of another documentary about how loads of people in the town cut or shot off their own limbs for the insurance money. Crazy buggers.

Watch out for the old fella...

vlcsnap-2011-10-22-17h05m27s250.jpg

• Upvote 2

I watched the first episode of Spartacus: Boobs and CGI on the US site. God it was awful. I'm mean, lots of lovely boobs, but also lots of jarringly obvious CGI (the fight scenes feel like watching a trailer for a video game, and that bit with him running with the different backgrounds scrolling past - Jesus!) and awful acting and dialogue. So awful that I'm unlikely to watch the second episode, despite the fantastic amount of boobage.

I also tried to watch the first episode of Camelot (you may spot a bit of a theme to the TV series I was investigating). Anyway, strangely the episode listed as episode 1 of season 1 started "Previously on Camelot", and looking up the episode on IMDB, it turns out it's actually episode 7. This was on the iPad app, and checking online now, it seems the first 6 episodes are "disc only" (it also numbers the episodes correctly on the web based version).

So, I think I'll try 'The Tudors' next.

Watched DMT: The Spirit Molecule the other night. Bit overlong maybe, but an interesting doc about a very interesting drug.

WW2 in HD is on there too, which is a great watch. Lots of stuff I hadn't seen.

• Upvote 1

I watched that Saturday night as well. Looper, I've also read the original book Rick Strassman wrote, never experienced the substance itself mind.

Then I watched Enter the Void for more DMT thrills. Not a patch on Irreversible IMO and was way too long and meandering. Nice visuals at the start mind.

Currently enjoying Parks and Recreation on US netflix, upto ep6 of Season 2, and by jove does it get real funny. Ron ****in Swanson in particular

Richard Pryor Live at the Sunset Strip is on there as well

Oh god yes, I can't believe I forgot about that. Netflix US has an awesome collection of standup. Well, to my taste anyway.

This reminds me I have to check out the Patrice O'Neil special they have on there.

Watched DMT: The Spirit Molecule the other night. Bit overlong maybe, but an interesting doc about a very interesting drug.

WW2 in HD is on there too, which is a great watch. Lots of stuff I hadn't seen.

The WW2 in HD stuff is great. I watched Downfall early on and maybe one other Nazi thing and it recommended a bunch of WW2 stuff, all of it pretty fascinating.

DMT: The Spirit Molecule is something I want to watch too. God this service is amazing :wub:

I thought Weeds couldn't get any better then along comes Series 4 and Nancy finally gets naked.

That was the reason I started watching. I have to wait until series 4 though? I'm only on episode 4. Damn!

I watched the first episode of Spartacus: Boobs and CGI on the US site. God it was awful. I'm mean, lots of lovely boobs, but also lots of jarringly obvious CGI (the fight scenes feel like watching a trailer for a video game, and that bit with him running with the different backgrounds scrolling past - Jesus!) and awful acting and dialogue. So awful that I'm unlikely to watch the second episode, despite the fantastic amount of boobage.

I also tried to watch the first episode of Camelot (you may spot a bit of a theme to the TV series I was investigating). Anyway, strangely the episode listed as episode 1 of season 1 started "Previously on Camelot", and looking up the episode on IMDB, it turns out it's actually episode 7. This was on the iPad app, and checking online now, it seems the first 6 episodes are "disc only" (it also numbers the episodes correctly on the web based version).

So, I think I'll try 'The Tudors' next.

Stick with Spartacus a bit longer, the first episode is somewhat crap, but it starts to really get going around episode 3. The visual style changes a lot too, they toned down the ludicrous CGI as the season wore on. It ends up being one of the best seasons of TV I've seen in a while. They take their time with various plot strands and everything pays off nicely. John Hannah is fantastically entertaining, and the show is as much about him as it is Spartacus and co.

This week I have been watching the Up series of documentaries.

Excellent stuff, although the do repeat themselves a bit, I guess if you're only watching them every 7 years you need a reminder.

I'm up to 42Up at the moment, There is a new one due in March this year.

I watched Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind last night. I also noticed that Chinatown is on there, in HD apparently, so that's obviously going on the list. The Chinatown blu-ray isn't out for a couple of months.

I know we've all seen it a hundred times, but I just watched the Godfather again and goddamn, of all the best films of all time it's the one that actually is. Shame Godfather 2 isn't up on Netflix at the moment. Blu-ray collection here I come.

No amount of time or justification will ever make Godfather 3 worth watching mind you. The Phantom Menace of Godfather movies.

Watched Man Apart last night, not a bad little film. Also, as I am off sick at the moment I went back to my childhood and watched The Rise & Fall of WCW and Road Warriors. If ya like your wrestling they are both worth a watch.

Watched Man Apart last night, not a bad little film. Also, as I am off sick at the moment I went back to my childhood and watched The Rise & Fall of WCW and Road Warriors. If ya like your wrestling they are both worth a watch.

Card Subject to Change is quite a good wrestling documentary, focusing on an independent promotion. The (far darker) Beyond the mat is on there too.

I watched Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind last night. I also noticed that Chinatown is on there, in HD apparently, so that's obviously going on the list. The Chinatown blu-ray isn't out for a couple of months.

I love Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. So, so much. Chinatown though... I dunno. I'd read some Robert McKee book where he went on and on and on about Chinatown and it's big dramatic twist. I spoiled it for myself I guess by reading the dialogue like that, but I did sound like an excellent twist, and seemed well written so I went and watched the film immediately... that big scene just seemed ridiculous to the point of being slapstick. Totally ruined the whole thing for me. Blah.

Sister! *slap!* Daughter! *slap!* Sister! *slap!* Daughter! *slap!* Sister! *slap!* Daughter! *slap!*

I watched Word Wars, a documentary about competitive scrabble players. I really enjoyed it, especially the part where some young kid says what he sees as his own future in scrabble.

Last night I watched The Atomic Cafe, which was a collection of American propaganda movies from the post-WW2 era, including the famous Duck and Cover turtle. Really hilarious and depressing stuff; Netflix recommended another on the aftermath of the tests at Bikini Atoll, so I think I'll queue that up.

Tonight I'll be watching Troll 2 and Best Worst Movie for the first time while getting a little drunk. I've not yet decided which order is best to watch them. I watched Birdemic and Thankskilling last week and they were both excellently bad, though Thankskilling more knowingly so. "Gobble gobble motherfucker!". Oh man.

JSA: Joint Security Area

After a shootout at the common security area at the border of the two Koreas, when two soldiers were murdered, Maj. Sophie E. Jean is assigned by the Neutral Nations Supervisory Commission to investigate the incident. The smart Major finds lack of consistency in the statements of the survivors, and in spite of being pressed by her superior, she interviews South Koreans Sgt. Lee Soo-hyeok and private Nam Sung-shik, and the North Korean Sgt. Oh Kyeong-pil, disclosing a tragic story of friendship

Not what i was expecting at all, but well worth a watch. (4/5)

• Upvote 1

Gangland - A trashy but compelling documentary series about US and South American street gangs. Massively depressing at times but fascinating all the same. The episode about the Black P. Stone Nation in particular is completely insane.