Marlowe

Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

Is there anyway, on ps3, to see *everything* on offer, without using the standard search?

I ask as, logging in today, I was greeted by a 'Systemic's top 10' which included things like Buffy and Angel, yet they aren't on the list when you slide through TV shows, so being able to see everything there is, rather than randomly going 'erm...maybe they have this! *search* aww. Ok, maybe...this! *search* aww' and then I'm all like

511032227_5fc26b2906_o.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I watched the first episode of this today, it being the only Sorkin-scripted show/movie I've never seen. I'm looking forward to watching more of it, but Jesus tap-dancing Christ that laugh track really is awful. Literally every time audience laughter kicked in, it took me right out of the show. Woefully misused and poorly-implemented.

Never mind, though. As soon as I heard Isaac, the head honcho on the eponymous show-within-a-show, speak, I knew I recognised his voice. Then it hit me:

character_eli.jpg

:omg:

I'm also really enjoying Sports Night being a big Sorkin fan - interesting to see Nate from Six Feet Under playing a very different character.

Sorking does have some clear character types though - Casey is a dead ringer for Josh and Dan is more than a little reminscent of Sam.

The laughter track doesn't really bother me I have to say - although its a bit out of place its hardly overbearing.

Really want to see some more TV work from Sorkin - this show just goes to show how talented he is.

Irreversible and Enter The Void, two of my favourite films ever, are both on US, not sure about UK.

Watched 13 Assassins which is excellent. Limitless is good fun, Gamer is shallow as a puddle but enjoyable enough.

Once is a great little indie movie if you like a spot of romance. Grat music too. Likewise Cashback is an interesting movie about a student with insomnia who has the ability to freeze time.

Mostly I've been watching Breaking Bad. Dies anyone know if/when Season 4 is coming?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

i've been recently watching 'the Tudors' and 'Third Rock from the sun', its great that it also has alll the Hercules, Xena, King of the Hill, Futurama, Frasier, Cheers, Scrubs, US Office, Malcom in the MIddle..its going to take years to go through all that

Some curios on there too like the US verison of men behaving badly starring Rob Schneider.....very very bad

Dhani Tackles the Globe is good. Dhani Jones is an NFL linebacker who travels to different countries and spends a week learning how to play a sport before competing in a competition/ game. It's a bit like Last Man Standing crossed with a travel show and Dhani's great to watch as well, a really likeable guy.

• Upvote 1

Went to watch G.I.Joe last night and it's been removed - bugger.

Watched Red State instead which is alright - reminded me of a redneck "If".

Started watching Hobo With A Shotgun. Good daft fun.

The Dave Chapelle Show is pretty great.

Eddie Murphey's brother, Charlie and his insane stories about his run ins with Rick James & Prince are completely amazing!

:lol: Yeah Chapelle Show is fantastic. The episode where he's getting overcompetative with that dying kid is amazing. "I should have left you dead Billy *mocking laughter*".

I would recomend the following if you want your funnybone tickled:

Katt Williams. They have a few of his DVDs but only one or two of them are actual shows, the rest are compilations and there's a bit of repetition in them (if you've already seen his shows). He's funny as fuck though. It's quite physical humour at times too, he's a good clown and is quite expressive. I think one of the proper shows is "Pimp Chronicles", but I could be wrong (I'm at work so can't check).

Joe Rogan Live. Come on son!

Paul Mooney's Analyzing White America is really funny. I like his stuff in general though, he's a smart guy and his commentary on race is spectacular at times. Sometimes it comes across that he's got a chip on his shoulder about white people, and I guess he probably does in some ways, but he's funny as fuck with it.

How the Universe Works. This has nothing to do with comedy and is what it says on the tin. Unfortunately I don't know anything about astronomy so it's possible it's not actually as good as I thought it was, but for a layman like me it was increadibly fascinating.

Restrepo. I'm not sure if "enjoyed" is the word for it, but I'm glad I watched it. This is the IMDB description: "Sebastian Junger and Tim Hetherington's year dug in with the Second Platoon in one of Afghanistan's most strategically crucial valleys reveals extraordinary insight into the surreal combination of back breaking labor, deadly firefights, and camaraderie as the soldiers painfully push back the Taliban". It's hard to say "enjoyed" because real people die in this.

EDIT: Shit I just found out the co-director of Restrepo was killed in April 2011 whilst covering the events in Libya. It just makes Restrepo all the more worth watching, the guys literally put their lives on the line.

If you've not seen it before (or hell, even if you have), it's worth noting that The Station Agent is a) brilliant, and b) on Netflix (at least the UK version). A great little drama/comedy about human nature. Stars Peter Dinklage (Tyrion in Game of Thrones), who's predictably brilliant.

• Upvote 2

How to live and ride in LA. If only to see a bunch of dickheads on fixies riding like a bunch of dickheads

I really enjoyed this. It contains 2 of my favourite things; cycling and Los Angeles. It's really well shot although I think it's probably easy enough to make all those famous LA land marks look good and the soundtrack is fantastic. You do need a very high hipster tolerance though because the beards and glasses get a bit annoying after a while. It's disposable fluff but I thought it was great.

:lol: Yeah Chapelle Show is fantastic. The episode where he's getting overcompetative with that dying kid is amazing. "I should have left you dead Billy *mocking laughter*".

I would recomend the following if you want your funnybone tickled:

Katt Williams. They have a few of his DVDs but only one or two of them are actual shows, the rest are compilations and there's a bit of repetition in them (if you've already seen his shows). He's funny as fuck though. It's quite physical humour at times too, he's a good clown and is quite expressive. I think one of the proper shows is "Pimp Chronicles", but I could be wrong (I'm at work so can't check).

Joe Rogan Live. Come on son!

Paul Mooney's Analyzing White America is really funny. I like his stuff in general though, he's a smart guy and his commentary on race is spectacular at times. Sometimes it comes across that he's got a chip on his shoulder about white people, and I guess he probably does in some ways, but he's funny as fuck with it.

How the Universe Works. This has nothing to do with comedy and is what it says on the tin. Unfortunately I don't know anything about astronomy so it's possible it's not actually as good as I thought it was, but for a layman like me it was increadibly fascinating.

Restrepo. I'm not sure if "enjoyed" is the word for it, but I'm glad I watched it. This is the IMDB description: "Sebastian Junger and Tim Hetherington's year dug in with the Second Platoon in one of Afghanistan's most strategically crucial valleys reveals extraordinary insight into the surreal combination of back breaking labor, deadly firefights, and camaraderie as the soldiers painfully push back the Taliban". It's hard to say "enjoyed" because real people die in this.

EDIT: Shit I just found out the co-director of Restrepo was killed in April 2011 whilst covering the events in Libya. It just makes Restrepo all the more worth watching, the guys literally put their lives on the line.

Richard Pryor Live at the Sunset Strip is on there as well

Has anyone been watching Boss? Kelsey Grammer plays the mayor of Chicago - I think he's meant to be Mayor Daley. He's a corrupt, scheming crook but at the start of the first episode he's diagnosed with a degenerative brain condition. Over the next few years he's going to slowly loose his faculties, start hallucinating and generally die a slow death. He tells no one this and as well as trying to look after his health he's trying to keep his crooked empire intact by bullying, bribing and generally being a bit of a cliched heel.

Kelsey Grammer is very good and I love the way Chicago is shot. I watched the first 2 but it hasn't really grabbed me yet. Is anyone following it up? I notice it's on Netflix until the end of the month.

• Upvote 1

Sports Night - The show Aaron Sorkin did before The West Wing. Good stuff (apart from the terribly inappropriate network mandated laugh track)

I second this!

And the Jarring Laughter-Track.

I'm Dying to watch The Wonder Years but i'm a'feared it won't live up to my memories of it.

Watching Malcolm in the Middle from the start instead.

That you've got 80's classics on here like:

Labyrinth

Dark Crystal

Krull

Make it brilliant. It's unlikely there will ever be films like these made again, and yet despite being nearly 30 years old they are still fantastic.

I've never seen Ghost In The Shell before. Should I watch it dubbed on Netflix? Last time I investigted watching it I noticed there was some souped-up edition out in DVD. Advice please. I don't know anything about anime.

Ghost in the Shell is great, and not terribly dubbed. However, the souped-up Ghost In The Shell 2.0 is a travesty, taking a beautiful hand-drawn film and ruining its aesthetic with clumsy CG transplanted into tons of scenes. Think remastered Star Wars levels of fuckery, only worse, as such a large part of GITS's appeal came from its fantastic visuals.

Brother From Another Planet just landed on the UK store. Well worth a watch.

I've been ploughing through The Thick of It having never seen it. Not sure how I managed that?

Actually after browsing the US store for a couple of days I actually found more stuff I wanted to watch on the UK store. I'll flick between them, but keep the UK as the primary store I think.

Tangled and Insidious are two on the US store I want to watch, as well as re-watching Senna.