Marlowe

Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

19 hours ago, little che said:

I absolutely loved the book and I remember saying after I read it that although the idea would make a great film, I couldn't see how it was filmable. I'm glad they've pulled it off. 

19 hours ago, Gizamaluke said:

I've not read the book so can't compare, but as a piece of film I was thoroughly impressed.

So did I @little che - it would have been easy to write a different ending but Josh Malerman didn't. I loved the ambiguity/unexplained nature of the threat.

Good to hear that @Gizamaluke - I'm often left quite annoyed watching film adaptations of books I liked.  I saw The Ritual fairly recently and they missed out all the most interesting parts of the book and put in things that weren't in the book and it was a bit of a mess - as a stand alone film, it wasn't bad but the book had loads of scenes and sub-plots that were just left out. Don't get me started on the film version of Stephen King's The Cell.... urghhhhhhhh

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, NickC said:

Anyone watched the Sunderland FC documentary?

yes, there is discussion about it in the Sports section in the documentaries thread.

its very good.  

• Upvote 1

Watched Outlaw King the other day and really enjoyed it. Even at just under 2 hours I feel like I could have done with another hour, as there's load left to tell. I didn't feel worn out at all come the end. I'd have liked them to have done a 2 parter to tell the full story.

Chris Pine was very good in the main role but Aaron Taylor Johnson was an absolute beast and the star of the film

I'm sure it's full of historical inaccuracies but regardless it was highly enjoyable if not a little upsetting at times with its depiction of how horrible things were back then. But saying that, I applaud it for not shying away from that.

Worth checking out if you enjoy historical drama/war films and works really well as a companion piece/sequel to Braveheart as it picks up pretty much around where that left off.

• Upvote 2

There are two feature length Kath & Kim films up at the moment.

Da Kath & Kim Code is excellent, a proper Fountainlake Christmas episode classic featuring Michael Buble. With a surprise appearance by Barry Humphries!

Kath & Kimderella is an entirely different kettle of prawns. Kath, Kim And Sharon go to Spain on a holiday. Initially it seems like hokey cash-in garbage, but it neatly pivots into a festival of camp Dorado and is just a delight. With a surprise appearance by Barry Humphries!

My only regret is having now watched them both, there’s no more Kath & Kim for me.

• Upvote 2

The Fix - Netflix's attempt at a UK-style panel show, featuring a mix of US/UK production style and participants, could well have been a disaster. But I actually quite like it! Not a bad 8 Out Of 10 Cats-a-like.

full disclosure - I do have a fairly big crush on Katherine Ryan, which helps :-)

On 18/12/2018 at 13:49, NickC said:

Anyone watched the Sunderland FC documentary?

Yeah its brilliant.. mainly because you know they royally fuck it up and can slowly see all hope being crushed out of them... much much better than that Man City pr puff piece on amazon... top quality tv

• Upvote 1

I really really enjoyed it, felt the luke warm reviews were a bit harsh. But then I'm a big history nerd and I feel like they got lots right, not making Edward into a panto villian was refreshing and the costumes were incredible. 

There is that one scene though that I thought was a bit much in terms of violence, put me right off my chipolatas.

• Upvote 1

I've done some tidying on this thread & moved all Bird Box discussion to a new thread

Roma discussion to a new thread

And Polar to start a new thread.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Dear Netflix, 

You were meant to have released the second half of Arrested Development S5 in the autumn. Well next week it is January. What, did you forget? 

Come on! 

Chad. 

I think everyone else happily did.