Marlowe

Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

8 hours ago, Majora said:

Isn't the Barbara Streisand version the third version? Unless I'm misunderstanding your post. From everything I've heard it's the Judy Garland version that's the standout.

No, I didn’t realise there were previous versions, I thought this was the original.

Much as I love Judy Garland, I would be amazed if she puts in a better vocal performance than Barbra Streisand. In fact I don’t believe it’s possible.

I actually haven't seen any of the iterations, including Gaga's, but I was watching an interesting comparison piece of them all on YouTube the other day. All four movies have the same basic framework in terms of plot but change the context to suit the era. So the original is somewhat quaint nowadays but is about becoming an actress in the golden age of Hollywood and isn't even a musical at all. The Judy Garland version is very much a 1950s Hollywood musical, while the Streisand and Gaga versions are about becoming pop/rock stars. The Streisand version was panned on release whereas all the other versions reviewed very well, but it's one of the biggest Oscar upsets that Garland didn't take home the best actress award for her performance.

2 hours ago, cassidy said:

Not sure if it’s been mentioned in here but just watched Journeys End. 

Very good film. Though not festive in the slightest 

I was very nearly a Producer on this, but my finance fell through at the 11th hour. Very strong movie

8 hours ago, Monkeyboy said:

Season 1 of Ash vs Evil Dead has been added.

Oh good, 3 years after it first aired and has now been cancelled, we finally get the first season.

8 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

I was very nearly a Producer on this, but my finance fell through at the 11th hour. Very strong movie

Keep reading this as fiance and wondering why he/she impacted your decision. 

• Upvote 1

3rd series of Bill Burr's F is for Family 1970s set animation gone up recently - I quite enjoyed the first couple, more for good moments than it being consistently funny but worth a watch if you find Burr's ranting amusing.

Holy shit. I’m watching Time: the Kalief Browder story. The shit that goes down on Rikers Island...what the fuck?? 85% of its eleven thousand strong population haven’t even been convicted of anything??

17 minutes ago, NexivRed said:

Holy shit. I’m watching Time: the Kalief Browder story. The shit that goes down on Rikers Island...what the fuck?? 85% of its eleven thousand strong population haven’t even been convicted of anything??

• Upvote 1

On 16/11/2018 at 23:18, Silent Runner said:

I watched a really good thriller/horror film tonight called Cam. It's about a young woman who works as an internet cam-model. She's doing well and steadily growing her audience but she logs on one day and sees 'herself' performing live. She tries to get to the bottom of this with tech support from the site but they're no help so she has to work on her own to try and get her identity back.

I thought this was very impressive. The lead is very good and I'm a sucker for this new genre of films using websites and web-tech on screen. There's a couple of nice twists and I was never really sure where it was going.

Recommended for horror/thriller fans but, as usual, avoid the trailer. 

Thought it was ok. As others have said, strong lead performance carries it. It’s a bit silly at times with some obvious plot misdirection. 

Agree with whoever said it works well to show how grim being a cam girl must be and it’s likely a glossy version of reality anyway!

When the heck is 'Roma' getting released on Netflix. I keep reading very good things about it and how it's Netflix big time break out movie and it's tipped for the Oscars etc. But nothing about when I can see it on Netflix. Anybody know?

Also, there's a new sport documentary about Sunderland AFC's nightmare season last year when they got relegated to the third tier of English football. A behind the scenes, fly on the wall 8 part documentary - 'Sunderland Til I Die' is released this Friday

If it's anywhere near as good as the one they did when Peter Reid was the manager, 'Premier Passions' in the 90's, it'll be a great watch.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, multiclunk said:

When the heck is 'Roma' getting released on Netflix. I keep reading very good things about it and how it's Netflix big time break out movie and it's tipped for the Oscars etc. But nothing about when I can see it on Netflix. Anybody know?

14 December, apparently.

• Upvote 1

Why the fuck do I even bother with Netflix when the quality is so bad I can see artifacts in every frame?!

Back to pirating I go. Fucking hell. :lol:

• Empathy 1

43 minutes ago, dirk_beefhammer said:

Yeah, quality caps at 720p in chrome and firefox unfortunately, whereas Edge/Ie is fine for higher res

Yeah I read about that, I was getting much worse than 720p though it was strange, it used to work fine, and for the first few mins it would be fine, so I don’t think I mind 720p, it would be like old blocky YouTube videos, or non hd freeview bad. I’m starting to think it might be pc, as chrome seems to be maxing out the cpu when playing video. Not sure.

50 minutes ago, Gizamaluke said:

Bird Box is out there if you can't wait for Friday. I thought it was fucking excellent. Like a cross between The Road and The Mist. Just really well done.

I absolutely loved the book and I remember saying after I read it that although the idea would make a great film, I couldn't see how it was filmable. I'm glad they've pulled it off. 

• Upvote 1