Marlowe

Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

Just watched Batman Ninja. It's utter, utter shit. Both by the standards of Batman stories and anime. Looks really nice, and the animation is good, but the story is appalling nonsense. I wasn't expecting Shakespeare or anything, but it's just gibberish.

• Upvote 2

The Christmas Chronicles hit Netflix and my daughter made sure we sat down for this one.

I Liken it to Adventures in Babysitting with a bit of Christmas heart, that's not really a bad thing right? Kurt Russell nails it, the kids aren't annoying, the elves are cute and it looks super festive. I wasn't let down when Mrs Claus appeared either.

I'd have cut the 'fake news' glib, maybe the song too, and injected some humor for the adults watching. So not quite the next Elf but there's a lot to like here.

• Upvote 2

another thumbs up for Cam.

i loved that they didn’t explain the cause and left it open to interpretation.

great main performance too.

would have benefited from that bit of a bigger budget - which may have helped it get better distribution too? (these things can be a bit chicken and egg i suppose)

• Upvote 1

I enjoyed Cam as well. Interesting idea and agree the lead actress really carries the film. Thought I’d seen her somewhere before, and she’s in The Handmaid’s Tale. Great in that also.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Ah, I’ve added that to my list but am fearful of watching it in case it just makes me cry.

It’s perfect Sunday evening viewing, very uplifting. Some of the episodes are touching, some are funny (an episode featuring Japanese dog groomers). But yes, if you don’t cry at some stage you are clearly a monster.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Fierce Poodle said:

It’s perfect Sunday evening viewing, very uplifting. Some of the episodes are touching, some are funny (an episode featuring Japanese dog groomers). But yes, if you don’t cry at some stage you are clearly a monster.

Okay, I’m in!

On 16/11/2018 at 20:50, Silent Runner said:

I started a new show on Netflix tonight called The Kominsky Method. Michael Douglas is an actor, past his prime, who's getting by as an acting coach. It's by Chuck Lorre (no come back) but it's pretty decent. It walks the line between Curb Your Enthusiasm and your typical American sitcom.

Michael Douglas is excellent, they don't try to make him look younger or anything. And there's lots of jokes that veer into pretty dark territory. I've watched 2 and I'll probably go through the whole series over the next week or so.

You missed out the most important part. Alan Arkin co-stars! 

• Upvote 1

I just finished watching Icarus and really enjoyed it. I think the take home message was delivered about ten minutes in, though, when Dan Catlin simply says everyone’s at it. I suspect there are very few clean athletes at the top levels of sport. 

1 hour ago, Naieve said:

Oh shit son Neon Genesis Evangelion is coming to Netflix. Maybe it’ll go mainstream

Hmm, series or movie(s)?

I gave it a crack as a kid but didnt entirely buy into it, but who knows maybe now I might, especially if it's been remade a couple times.

On 25/11/2018 at 17:10, Fierce Poodle said:

Anyone who loves dogs should definitely check out ‘Dogs’, a documentary series about dogs.

It’s absolutely bloody lovely.

Just came here to recommend it. On the New York episode. Loving this. It’s so feel good and makes you just really appreciate people and love in general. 

I can’t wait to see if we can adopt a rescue dog in the future. I miss my girl so much.  

• Upvote 1

On 09/11/2018 at 22:59, scottcr said:

Outlaw King is magic

Set in the 14th century, opening shot is of a braided candle wick. I mean, why not just have Robert strap into an F35 to take on the English?

Literally unwatchable.

• Upvote 9

Is 1983 the thing that was on some UK station (BBC or C4) not too long ago? I didn't follow it at the time, but saw some here mention it being good.

On 24/11/2018 at 03:26, taurusnipple said:

The Christmas Chronicles hit Netflix and my daughter made sure we sat down for this one.

I Liken it to Adventures in Babysitting with a bit of Christmas heart, that's not really a bad thing right? Kurt Russell nails it, the kids aren't annoying, the elves are cute and it looks super festive. I wasn't let down when Mrs Claus appeared either.

I'd have cut the 'fake news' glib, maybe the song too, and injected some humor for the adults watching. So not quite the next Elf but there's a lot to like here.

It was easy Christmas watching but you are right about it missing a little something for the adults.

The bit in Elf that always cracks me up is the blurry footage of Buddy in the woods but neither my wife nor son understood why until I showed them that Bigfoot video from the 60's.

Watched Cam on the recommendation of this thread. Well acted and nicely shot but ultimately it didn't quite convince me. I really enjoyed the early parts of the movie where the focus was predominantly on the actual horrors of performing to a room of horny strangers for money. Once the plot spun off into more of a thriller about identity theft, I felt like it lost its way a little and then subsequently failed to stick the landing. Still, a reasonable way to spend 90 minutes on something a bit different I would probably never have heard of if not for this thread.

• Empathy 1

The original A Star I Born is on Netflix now, and it’s fantastic, well worth a watch.

And the bits with Barbra Streisand singing in are just incredible.

Isn't the Barbara Streisand version the third version? Unless I'm misunderstanding your post. From everything I've heard it's the Judy Garland version that's the standout.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Majora said:

Isn't the Barbara Streisand version the third version? Unless I'm misunderstanding your post. From everything I've heard it's the Judy Garland version that's the standout.

Yep.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Star_Is_Born_(1937_film)

"

A Star Is Born is a 1937 American Technicolor romantic drama film produced by David O. Selznick, directed by William A. Wellman from a script by Wellman, Robert Carson, Dorothy Parker, and Alan Campbell, and starring Janet Gaynor (in her only Technicolor film) as an aspiring Hollywood actress, and Fredric March (in his Technicolor debut) as a fading movie star who helps launch her career. The supporting cast features Adolphe Menjou, May Robson, Andy Devine, Lionel Stander, and Owen Moore.

The film has been remade three times: in 1954 (directed by George Cukor and starring Judy Garland and James Mason), in 1976 (directed by Frank Pierson and starring Barbra Streisand and Kris Kristofferson), and in 2018 (starring Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper, who also directed).

"