Jump to content
Marlowe

Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

Recommended Posts

On 08/06/2018 at 08:55, grounded_dreams said:

The updated and re-visited true-crime documentary series The Staircase is on Netflix today.

Haven't watched the original episodes since it was released back in 2004.

This series has the original episodes plus an additional three which director Jean-Xavier de Lestrade goes back to interview Peterson.

If you have never heard of the show, best to go in blind, but otherwise here is the trailer for the new updated series:

 

 

 

I feel that this needs another plug as not many people seem to be talking about it. It’s up there with Making a Murderer in the true crime documentary stakes, in fact it probably deserves a thread of its own.

 

It is utterly compelling, absorbing and at times heartbreaking. If it sounds like your sort of thing at all, I would implore you to watch it.

  • Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^

100% this. My gf who usually doesn't dig documentary style things is absolutely obsessed with it, we binged 4 episodes in between World Cup matches yesterday.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a big fan of MAM, Jinx, Keepers etc but have never seen the StairCase but have often heard people bring it up. In my head, the 'formula' these shows have and their tone (really nicely presented details with graphics. Jumping back and fourth with the actual subjects rather than just talking about them etc) was something that was created with The Jinx. So I just presume the StairCase will look and feel more dated and traditional. I'm too scared to watch any trailers to clarify this.

 

I'm being daft right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Capwn said:

I'm a big fan of MAM, Jinx, Keepers etc but have never seen the StairCase but have often heard people bring it up. In my head, the 'formula' these shows have and their tone (really nicely presented details with graphics. Jumping back and fourth with the actual subjects rather than just talking about them etc) was something that was created with The Jinx. So I just presume the StairCase will look and feel more dated and traditional. I'm too scared to watch any trailers to clarify this.

 

I'm being daft right?

 

 

Yes you are, there aren't as many graphics, it's more cinema verite, fly on the wall type of stuff. It's gripping though rather long, I had to binge the whole 13 hour long episodes in one weekend as I couldn't not know how the whole thing turned out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Capwn said:

I'm a big fan of MAM, Jinx, Keepers etc but have never seen the StairCase but have often heard people bring it up. In my head, the 'formula' these shows have and their tone (really nicely presented details with graphics. Jumping back and fourth with the actual subjects rather than just talking about them etc) was something that was created with The Jinx. So I just presume the StairCase will look and feel more dated and traditional. I'm too scared to watch any trailers to clarify this.

 

I'm being daft right?

 

Yeah, just watch it. It doesn’t feel particularly dated or anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Capwn said:

I'm being daft right?

 

Very much so. Out of all the true crime docs out there, I would actually place The Staircase at the top. I’ve watched the whole thing a few times over the years and it never fails to keep me watching and wondering.

 

In fact, I think it would be worth having a separate spoiler thread for it to be discussed in detail.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 episodes in now (staircase) and yeah, it's really impressive. Would have never guessed it was nearly 15 years old! It's pretty much the same formula as Jinx etc as it still plays out like a current investigation unfolding right before you. For some reason I was worried it would have those old cliches like a narrator, reconstructions and generic talking head shots.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Capwn said:

2 episodes in now (staircase) and yeah, it's really impressive. Would have never guessed it was nearly 15 years old! It's pretty much the same formula as Jinx etc as it still plays out like a current investigation unfolding right before you. For some reason I was worried it would have those old cliches like a narrator, reconstructions and generic talking head shots.

 

Ha, I know exactly the sort of thing you mean. ‘Forensic Files’ comes to mind.

 

Stick with it, it just gets more and more interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Capwn said:

2 episodes in now (staircase) and yeah, it's really impressive. Would have never guessed it was nearly 15 years old! It's pretty much the same formula as Jinx etc as it still plays out like a current investigation unfolding right before you. For some reason I was worried it would have those old cliches like a narrator, reconstructions and generic talking head shots.

 

Glad you’ enjoying it. It gets pretty heavy and emotional the deeper you get into it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes it's a classic show. I watched it a year or two ago on the iplayer, but it was awkward to find as it was part of the storyville strand. Much easier to access now. 

 

Peterson is a really fascinating 'character'. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finished ep8 of Staircase...

 

This is amazing tv and was pretty mortified he got a guilty verdict as it's pretty obvious he didn't do it. Hated the other 'side' with their 'Ooooh lock at the photos! look at her dead body over and over! Look...Blood..." etc. Can't wait to watch the rest. Anyway, I especially like how they keep showing TV show interviews between takes, showing the awkwardness and the mistakes people make.



Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wind River is really good. Even more slow burn than Hell Or High Water, but a real sense of the same time to it (not a surprised written by the same person I think). There's nothing complex about it at all, but it's just really well acted paced and (bar a couple of dodgy CGI snow bits) really nicely shot. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone else on the UK Netflix been able to watch Thor Ragnarok or Last Jedi?  Thor appeared on its release day, I watched about 15 mins on my phone, then went to switch to the TV and it had disappeared, never to be seen again.  TLJ hasn’t even appeared on Netflix as yet, but was supposed to be there from the 29th ish.  I’ve Googled but everywhere seems to suggest it should be available to watch.  Is this because of the new Disney streaming channel that’s coming, or have Netflix & Disney had a quiet falling out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Ivanho said:

Anyone else on the UK Netflix been able to watch Thor Ragnarok or Last Jedi?  Thor appeared on its release day, I watched about 15 mins on my phone, then went to switch to the TV and it had disappeared, never to be seen again.  TLJ hasn’t even appeared on Netflix as yet, but was supposed to be there from the 29th ish.  I’ve Googled but everywhere seems to suggest it should be available to watch.  Is this because of the new Disney streaming channel that’s coming, or have Netflix & Disney had a quiet falling out?

Neither are supposed to be in the UK yet. I see some sites listed them as coming, but they were wrong.

 

Not sure how you managed to watch some of Thor on your phone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, maybe the brief availability was the work experience guy pressing the wrong buttons when hey were activated in other regions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Highly recommend Hannah Gadsby's Nanette. A comedy set on the nature of comedy and art history and other things. Not recommended for children. Some content warnings on this one.

 

Deserves to be seen by everyone. Funny in parts, incredibly painful at other points.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/07/2018 at 17:30, NickC said:

Anyone else watching The Good Place?

 

I just binged the first season. Loved it. Kristen Bell is hilarious.

 

Yes and both seasons are fantastic. Can’t wait for it to come back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.