Marlowe

Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

Really enjoyed The Staircase. Loved reading subsequently online about the 

Spoiler

Owl

Theory lol. I'm a big fan of that idea.

They’ve released Planet Earth 2 in 4K, but not HDR. Which is interesting. So you get some of the sharpness, but lose the colours...

17 hours ago, yashiro said:

Godless is well shot and produced. However, it is way too predictable while viewing. You always know what is going to happen before it happens. I think it's because it gives away too much in episode one, then proceeds to elaborate on it for another six episodes. Good, not great.

Most stories are fairly predictable really. It’s all about the journey and the characters. Godless is pretty amazing I think. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, footle said:

They’ve released Planet Earth 2 in 4K, but not HDR. Which is interesting. So you get some of the sharpness, but lose the colours...

Kind of baffling because HDR is what makes the series seem like such a giant leap in visual prowess, not the camera resolution.

2 hours ago, El Geet said:

Most stories are fairly predictable really. It’s all about the journey and the characters. Godless is pretty amazing I think. 

Only because people choose to view predictable content. I could recommend to you 100 masterpieces where I could pause it at the hour mark and you'd never guess where it was going. People want to be comforted by predictability.

6 hours ago, Benny said:

Kind of baffling because HDR is what makes the series seem like such a giant leap in visual prowess, not the camera resolution.

A bit, but I suspect they’re limited by what the various packages available were. There are scenes (iguanas) where the sheer resolution does tell.

On 13/06/2018 at 01:07, kerraig UK said:

Only because people choose to view predictable content. I could recommend to you 100 masterpieces where I could pause it at the hour mark and you'd never guess where it was going. People want to be comforted by predictability.

I don't want to seem to be (or actually be) comforted by predictability, so please  give me your first 10 recommendations to get me started. You can deliver the other 90 at a later date. 

Genuine request, I'm interested in what you think are unpredictable masterpieces. And I WILL be pausing after an hour to predict an outcome if it's something new to me.

And I thought Godless was amazing as well. Not predictable at all, apart from it having some of the usual Western themes going on.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, multiclunk said:

I don't want to seem to be (or actually be) comforted by predictability, so please  give me your first 10 recommendations to get me started. You can deliver the other 90 at a later date. 

Genuine request, I'm interested in what you think are unpredictable masterpieces. And I WILL be pausing after an hour to predict an outcome if it's something new to me.

And I thought Godless was amazing as well. Not predictable at all, apart from it having some of the usual Western themes going on.

As they pop in my head... Let me know how many you've seen and i'll mention that many more.

Open your eyes
Ace in the Hole
Double Indemnity
Society
Top Secret
A ma soeur
Lagaan
Dellamorte Dellamore
Inferno
Paprika
A Simple Plan
Fresh
A Matter of Life & Death
Millers Crossing

• Upvote 4

On 13/06/2018 at 01:07, kerraig UK said:

Only because people choose to view predictable content. I could recommend to you 100 masterpieces where I could pause it at the hour mark and you'd never guess where it was going. People Producers want to be comforted by predictability.

On 08/06/2018 at 08:55, grounded_dreams said:

The updated and re-visited true-crime documentary series The Staircase is on Netflix today.

Haven't watched the original episodes since it was released back in 2004.

This series has the original episodes plus an additional three which director Jean-Xavier de Lestrade goes back to interview Peterson.

If you have never heard of the show, best to go in blind, but otherwise here is the trailer for the new updated series:

Ok Im 5 episodes in and I don't want any spoilers but I just need to check my feelings about this case against someone else so if anyone has seen this - spoilers-

This guy seems guilty to me, his behaviour and personality and just everything, the evidence is a bit iffy and it's pretty crazy that there was an incident in his past that was similar and they exhumed that body, but man he just seems kind of narcissistic and way too much like a Columbo suspect for me. Did anyone else feel this way? Please no spoilers beyond episode 5, the case has basically just started

3 hours ago, Minion said:

Ok Im 5 episodes in and I don't want any spoilers but I just need to check my feelings about this case against someone else so if anyone has seen this - spoilers-

Reveal hidden contents

This guy seems guilty to me, his behaviour and personality and just everything, the evidence is a bit iffy and it's pretty crazy that there was an incident in his past that was similar and they exhumed that body, but man he just seems kind of narcissistic and way too much like a Columbo suspect for me. Did anyone else feel this way? Please no spoilers beyond episode 5, the case has basically just started

I’m on the same episode as you and feel the exact same way. Not entirely gripped so far but I’m hoping for some twists and turns that flip the whole case soon.

im curious about how the documentary came about, I don’t think it’s explained why there is a film crew present and why the suspect agreed to it. I don’t want to google it as I will inevitably spoil the whole thing. 

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but I only discovered stand up comedian James Acaster last week and then yesterday saw that he has a four episode special on Netflix. 

It's some of the funniest stand up I think I’ve ever seen. Incredibly inventive, surreal, silly and so funny it had me crying at various points. So good. 

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, superfunk said:

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but I only discovered stand up comedian  James Acaster last week and then yesterday saw that he has a four episode special on Netflix. 

It's some of the funniest stand up I think I’ve ever seen. Incredibly inventive, surreal, silly and so funny it had me crying at various points. So good. 

Not sure if you like football but he does at least one, maybe more episode of the Quickly Kevin Will He Score podcast. Very funny. The whole podcast is very funny and I'm not even that bothered about football these days.

17 hours ago, superfunk said:

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but I only discovered stand up comedian James Acaster last week and then yesterday saw that he has a four episode special on Netflix. 

I'd never heard of this guy before but on the back of your review I watched the first one last night. Absolutely superb stuff. The undercover cop stuff was incredible.

Great recommendation. 

New series of Queer Eye is up. If you liked the first, it's more of the same.

I'm feeling low right now and it has really brought a smile to my face. I'm binging it over a few days and I only have 3 episodes left. 

Good stuff.

• Upvote 3

On 20/06/2018 at 21:09, NickC said:

New series of Queer Eye is up. If you liked the first, it's more of the same.

I'm feeling low right now and it has really brought a smile to my face. I'm binging it over a few days and I only have 3 episodes left. 

Good stuff.

We binged both series last weekend. Life affirming stuff. It’s great.

On 17/06/2018 at 17:32, superfunk said:

Nice, have enjoyed the few snippets I've seen of him while browsing YouTube so will be sure to check these out. 

I love James Acaster too.

If you like his Netflix stuff (which is more or less a 'best of' of all his standup to date), he has this great book / audiobook called Classic Scrapes.

It talks about around 30 real life stories from his childhood to adulthood. It's a bunch of cringy stories, many aren't particularly exciting or unusual, but his style of breaking down how he felt during each encounter is hilarious.

On 21/06/2018 at 05:38, JohnC said:

The Vietnam War, that Ken Burns documentary everyone was raving about last year, is up now.

The Ken Burns Vietnam War Documentary Glosses Over Devastating Civilian Toll

Ken Burns Says the Vietnam War Was “Begun in Good Faith.” So Was Every Other Lousy War.

Ken Burns’s Vietnam: Great TV. Horrible History

Historians MIA

Professors debate the role -- or absence -- of the historian in Ken Burns and Lynn Novick's new Vietnam documentary, concurring that a lack of critical perspective makes the film more milquetoast than masterpiece.

Ken Burns’s Vietnam Documentary Promotes Misleading History

Ken Burns’ ‘The Vietnam War’ offers same narrative, with little perspective

Making history safe again: What Ken Burns gets wrong about Vietnam

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

On 14/06/2018 at 23:23, kerraig UK said:

As they pop in my head... Let me know how many you've seen and i'll mention that many more.

Open your eyes
Ace in the Hole
Double Indemnity
Society
Top Secret
A ma soeur
Lagaan
Dellamorte Dellamore
Inferno
Paprika
A Simple Plan
Fresh
A Matter of Life & Death
Millers Crossing

No one could EVER predict the ending to this

• Upvote 1

Happy! seems really good three episodes in. Grant Morrison is involved with it, if that means anything to you. The lead guy is great but it's pretty dark in spots. Really enjoying it so far.

17 minutes ago, DC said:

Happy! seems really good three episodes in. Grant Morrison is involved with it, if that means anything to you. The lead guy is great but it's pretty dark in spots. Really enjoying it so far.

I really liked it but then I watched the whole thing half cut over Xmas so not sure how valid my opinion is here.

1 minute ago, Minion said:

I really liked it but then I watched the whole thing half cut over Xmas so not sure how valid my opinion is here.

Has it been out that long!? It seems Christmassy but I thought it only just got released.

Just now, DC said:

Has it been out that long!? It seems Christmassy but I thought it only just got released.

It was definitely out in the States before Xmas.