Marlowe

Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

3 hours ago, Moz said:

The Rain is pretty dull, like "babies first post apocalypse". Whole episodes build up to massively obvious reveals without any impact.

Whilst I'm enjoying it so far it does remind me of The 100. Beautifully shot though.

3 hours ago, Moz said:

The Rain is pretty dull, like "babies first post apocalypse". Whole episodes build up to massively obvious reveals without any impact.

Whilst I'm enjoying it so far it does remind me of The 100. Beautifully shot though.

The lost honour of Christopher Jeffries

I think this has been mentioned elsewhere in this thread. It’s brilliant, probably the best thing I’ve seen on Netflix full stop.  Perfectly scripted and acted. I had no knowledge of the events themselves which only added to the tension.

If you haven’t already seen it, stop whatever it is your doing and put this on straight away.

5/5

• Upvote 3

Evil Genius is absolutely amazing. Watch asap.

Flint Town was decent, but definitely felt like Cops just with a hip, moody soundtrack at times.

Also I'm not a huge anime guy, but One Punch Man is a must watch.

15 hours ago, sofasurfer said:

I had The Rain on my radar till the Guardian review made it sound like The 100 crossed with The Walking Dead, which sounded like a very, very bad thing to me. 

Over the garden wall is on Netflix now. It's a single series animation which is absolutely wonderful and everyone should watch. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Miner Willy said:

I had The Rain on my radar till the Guardian review made it sound like The 100 crossed with The Walking Dead, which sounded like a very, very bad thing to me. 

Its a completely standard teen dystopian show. But it goes along a clip and it's fun. A good time sink.

10 hours ago, ChewMagma said:

Evil Genius is absolutely amazing. Watch asap.

Flint Town was decent, but definitely felt like Cops just with a hip, moody soundtrack at times.

Also I'm not a huge anime guy, but One Punch Man is a must watch.

Flint Town was great, what a crazy crazy place. 

Just started watching Evil Genius and so far it's brilliant, a bit shocking and mad so far. 

almost finished Safe.

good enough and watchable, but it is inauthentic - casting is all over the shop, hall’s accent doesn’t work, and the varying production levels are jarring.

another instance of netflix muscling in on a market space led by competitors (in this instance, uk crime mystery/drama) and not quite getting it.

I liked Lost In Space. I can see why you'd think it was bland but I'm really getting exhausted by all the high concept super-edgy dark and depressing TV lately. It was nice to watch something that felt like a Sunday afternoon family show with a gigantic budget. Molly Parker was really good in it too. 

• Upvote 1

I watched two episodes of Evil Genius yesterday and yes, it's incredibly bizarre. I knew nothing about the case and I've not read anything about it online either. 

Also watched Ricky Gervais' Humanity yesterday. I'm not a big fan of his stand up usually but I really enjoyed this one. The encore bit is the best bit.

On 13/05/2018 at 17:23, Gaz said:

Over the garden wall is on Netflix now. It's a single series animation which is absolutely wonderful and everyone should watch. 

Thanks for the heads-up. I saw a bit of this ages ago and loved it. It’s a lovely piece of work.

Oooh lovely, I wanted to watch OTGW so good to know its on Netflix.

Just binged Santa Clarity Diet this week. Its so funny, everyone who hasnt seen it should get in it.

My wife wants to watch Rain, but the trailer gives me Walking Dead vibes and put me right off.

Couple of great oldies on Netflix currently, well worth checking out of you’ve not seen them:

Midnight Run - fairly by the numbers odd couple action comedy buddy flick, except the numbers Robert De Niro and Charles Grodin add up to pure feelgood Eighties gold.

The Day of the Jackal - classic Seventies eurocop assassin chase procedural, worth watching just to see how easily they would have picked him up today. A grand day out (in France, mostly).

• Upvote 8

15 hours ago, ZOK said:

Good suggestion, I was nuts about the Versace one, will watch this too.

They're extremely different. OJ is total melodrama. But it is madly entertaining. 

I prefer Versace, mainly for that absolutely hypnotic central performance. But OJ is amazing TV

• Upvote 1

On 21/05/2018 at 01:16, kerraig UK said:

They're extremely different. OJ is total melodrama. But it is madly entertaining. 

I prefer Versace, mainly for that absolutely hypnotic central performance. But OJ is amazing TV

Yes, I’m loving it, so watchable.

I think Cuba Gooding Jr is a bit of an odd choice, as good as he is in this, and Travolta’s face is scary enough for one show as it is. OJ was a handsome man, but CGJr looks like a black Sid James.

• Upvote 1

On 19/05/2018 at 10:16, ZOK said:

The Day of the Jackal - classic Seventies eurocop assassin chase procedural, worth watching just to see how easily they would have picked him up today. A grand day out (in France, mostly)

Thanks for this wee little review, can't believe it'd not seen it before I completely loved it. Slightly OTT mind you.

Might have to watch again actually.

Cheers for the recommendations for The Invisible Guest, I enjoyed it. For anyone that hasn't seen it, it's a crime drama where a guy has been setup for murder in a "locked room" scenario, but this is a misleading start as the film is mostly based around flashbacks leading up to the murder. What really happened?

I guessed some of how it would turn out but it was still fun getting there. Requires concentration to watch as it moves very quickly and it's Spanish with subtitles, so not a great choice if you're zonked out. Definitely worth a watch if you like crime mysteries.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Pete said:

Thanks for this wee little review, can't believe it'd not seen it before I completely loved it. Slightly OTT mind you.

Might have to watch again actually.

It’s great isn’t it? Although I think the end would have been better if de Gaulle had bent down to tie up his shoelace instead.