Marlowe

Netflix Recommendations - See OT for other thread

On 08/07/2018 at 08:43, Pelekophoros said:

Wind River is really good. Even more slow burn than Hell Or High Water, but a real sense of the same time to it (not a surprised written by the same person I think). There's nothing complex about it at all, but it's just really well acted paced and (bar a couple of dodgy CGI snow bits) really nicely shot. 

Really enjoyed this, Renner and Olsen were both great.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Nosejam said:

Anyone seen Good Girls? I liked the trailer and Retta's in it. Worth a watch?

I watched a few episodes on Saturday, it's great hangover tv but nothing more. Obviously Christina Hendricks is great in it and there is a bit of good dark humour but there is also a bunch of rather twee elements that could get grating.

• Upvote 1

I just noticed De Palma’s Scarface has cropped up on Netflix.

I will naturally assume that everyone and their drug mule has seen it already, but if by any chance you’ve not seen it, watch it!

And if you’ve already seen it, watch it again for the nth time.

• Upvote 5

5 hours ago, ZOK said:

I just noticed De Palma’s Scarface has cropped up on Netflix.

I will naturally assume that everyone and their drug mule has seen it already, but if by any chance you’ve not seen it, watch it!

And if you’ve already seen it, watch it again for the nth time.

I watched this recently for the first time. I went in thinking it was going to be a bit like The Godfather, for some reason.

It completely blew me away. 

• Upvote 2

A bit like Robocop, the edited for TV version of Scarface is a real classic as well.

"Where'd you get that scar, tough guy? Eating pineapple?"

And...

"This town like a great big chicken, just waiting to get plucked."

• Upvote 4

I've binged The Good Place over the last few days, absolutely loved it. Great characters, especially my favourite; Janet! 

• Upvote 4

17 hours ago, Nosejam said:

I've binged The Good Place over the last few days, absolutely loved it. Great characters, especially my favourite; Janet! 

I tried this with my wife and found it very silly, not sure we made it through the first episode.  Does it get a lot better or is it just not for me?

Btw, I really liked Santa Clarita Diet, so I can handle silly.

15 hours ago, Cool Ben said:

I tried this with my wife and found it very silly, not sure we made it through the first episode.  Does it get a lot better or is it just not for me?

Btw, I really liked Santa Clarita Diet, so I can handle silly.

I thought it was fairly shit too. Occasional funnies, but not really much to it, and as one note as you can get. I made it through 2 episodes before binning it, it’s too twee.

It’s a fraction as funny as Crazy Ex Girlfriend, for example, even though they appear quite similar on the surface.

50 minutes ago, ZOK said:

I thought it was fairly shit too. Occasional funnies, but not really much to it, and as one note as you can get. I made it through 2 episodes before binning it, it’s too twee.

Unfortunate - it’s so much more than the show you as the audience ‘think’ it is after the first few eps.

6 hours ago, Eighthours said:

Unfortunate - it’s so much more than the show you as the audience ‘think’ it is after the first few eps.

6 hours ago, mdn2 said:

Yeah. The Good Place improves drastically the more time you give it. 

I hear that, but I’ve only got so much life to live. There’s too much good telly as it is without giving shows time to warm up.

Having said that, I have consumed the entirety of the Hollyoaks content available on the More 4 player. Early eps, inside looks, Hollyoaks does Come Dine With Me - the works.

• Empathy 1

On 13/07/2018 at 10:13, SpagMasterSwift said:

I see Wind River is on - cracking film.

Oh, already mentioned up stream.

Enjoyed this.  Didn't realise it was from the writer of Sicario  (haven't seen) and Hell or High Water (brilliant).  Apparently they form some sort of trilogy - more theme than plot linked.

3 hours ago, JPickford said:

Enjoyed this.  Didn't realise it was from the writer of Sicario  (haven't seen) and Hell or High Water (brilliant).  Apparently they form some sort of trilogy - more theme than plot linked.

Sicario is fantastic. They're basically all Westerns, I guess somebody more 'film' than me will dissect that a little more, but I'm ignorant and that was my hot take. 

• Upvote 2

Loving Staircase, so far I'm three episodes in, and can't believe they haven't noticed......

I mean, look at the cuts and bruises on the dead body.  There's no way he's guilty, it's very clear and obvious that these injuries are caused by an owl - it's exactly like what owls do.

I'll keep watching, but it just seems so obvious that I can't believe they're pursuing the case at all. 

This is going to sound incredibly precious, but what really annoyed me about Wind River was that it had a fairly interesting set-up about the plight of present-day Native Americans, only for it to be discarded in favour of some white guy playing on God Mode.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Superblast! said:

This is going to sound incredibly precious, but what really annoyed me about Wind River was that it had a fairly interesting set-up about the plight of present-day Native Americans, only for it to be discarded in favour of some white guy playing on God Mode.

And that’s how the wild west was won :(

Yeah I didn't really dig Wind River personally

The whole flashback scene with Jon Bernthal was cheesy as hell before it all got nasty

I just felt the writing was not in the same leagues as Sicario or Hell and High Water.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Superblast! said:

It's a fair criticism, but I think the film addresses that.

Spoiler

Lambert is horribly broken. He's an outsider in a culture he's embraced, and I got the sense he was mainly tolerated because of his families history and because he knew when to shut the fuck up and as a result was an incredibly passive member of the community. He gets explicitly called out at one point for talking about "us" as though he's one of them. He's in a cultural no-mans land, and just spends his days alone hunting wolves and mountain lions.

Despite his whiteness, he wasn't able to save his daughter either. He's been abandoned by the very system that should empower him to solve everything because he shacked up with a Native American.

He's only able to save the FBI agent, out of everyone, and even then he only saves her life. She's broken by the end the story, having been out of her depth, under resourced and unable to do much at all other than follow the Res police around. Those guys were also pretty rubbish and the wonderful confrontation on the drilling site where security guards have more jurisdiction than the local law or Res police just sets out the absurdity of modern day law in those regions perfectly.

That the NAs in the story are so...ineffective...is central to the film. They have no power, they have no control. They've lost their land, their culture, their law and any protection from the outside world. They all know about the drug den down the road, but with (what?) 3 officers to cover the entire res, they've given up before they've even started. One of the most poignant lines in the film is near the end, when Lambert visits Hanson and he's sat out back.

"How do you know that's your death face?"

"I don't, there's nobody left to teach me"

That was just fucking heartbreaking.

It's definitely a film about Native Americans made by white people for white people, though. I'm not sure how we get away from that.

• Upvote 1

Just watched Green Street for the first time on Netflix. I've avoided the whole football hooligan genre up until now, as it's never looked very appealing. It'll be my first and last time I dip into this frankly weird genre of films. Elijah Wood is hilariously miscast. And Hunnam sounds like a yank trying to do a British accent, even though he's British! An utter pile of shite, basically boner material for chavvy scumbags.

I recommend nobody watch it, ever!

• Upvote 1