rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Nate Dogg III

VG+ hacked

Eurgh. I didn't realise how bad this one was. I ordered Animal Crossing DS and Elektroplankton from them in 2006, and I don't think I've been back since. Of course, VG+ was one of the (inevitable handful) of sites that I forgot to update the password for when I moved on from my utterly-insane "one password - with a few barely-different variants - on every fucking website" system I had until I got 1Password.

Is it me or does changing your password at Videogamesplus not actually work? I've been through the Edit Account bit, entered my new password, hit Continue, logged out to test that my password has actually been updated... but I can't log in with my new password, just the old one.

I'm having the same trouble, I changed my password on my phone last night, remembered about another site I ought to change and decided to change the VG+ one to something entirely different to anything I use elsewhere rather than a variant but when I tried to log in on the PC I had to use my old password - the last time I logged in to VG+ was December 2009 or thereabouts. I've tried changing it again and again but it won't let me. :unsure:

• Upvote 1

Am I being a bit thick here? Can't seem to see where to change the password. Can see where to type your current one in but that's it. Considering that I don't think I've ordered anything since around prince of persia on gamecube should I be that worried anyway?

Cheers.

Thanks for responding. I've sent them an email so we'll see what they say.

Mind you I've had an automated response saying they're closed on weekends, so they'll probably be saying nothing for a while!!!

There's still been no full explanation for the apparent recent spate of xbox accounts being hijacked. However, knowing an email address (even without knowing the gamertag) is half the infomation needed to get full access to an account through xbox.com (with seemingly unlimited guesses at the password <_< ).

The email addresses exposed in the VG+ hack are almost certain to belong to gamers and so may be of keen interest to people trying to hack xbox live accounts.

As a precaution, I have created a new MS passport account and switched my gamertag over to it.

Info here: http://support.xbox.com/en-GB/billing-and-subscriptions/account-management/manage-live-id

Others affected may wish to do likewise.

• Upvote 1

There's still been no full explanation for the apparent recent spate of xbox accounts being hijacked. However, knowing an email address (even without knowing the gamertag) is half the infomation needed to get full access to an account through xbox.com (with seemingly unlimited guesses at the password <_< ).

The email addresses exposed in the VG+ hack are almost certain to belong to gamers and so may be of keen interest to people trying to hack xbox live accounts.

As a precaution, I have created a new MS passport account and switched my gamertag over to it.

Info here: http://support.xbox.com/en-GB/billing-and-subscriptions/account-management/manage-live-id

Others affected may wish to do likewise.

I've been trying to do the same with mine but currently don't own a 360. I do still use my gamertag with GFWL (Games for Windows) games on my pc though.

However, reading through that page it seems that whilst I can change password etc. via a pc I need a console to swap my GT to another e-mail account...bit of a catch 22 really!

I've been trying to do the same with mine but currently don't own a 360. I do still use my gamertag with GFWL (Games for Windows) games on my pc though.

However, reading through that page it seems that whilst I can change password etc. via a pc I need a console to swap my GT to another e-mail account...bit of a catch 22 really!

If you have a friend who has a 360 you can go over to his (or invite him over to your place and tell him to bring his 360) and recover your gamertag to make the necessary adjustments.

• Upvote 1

If you have a friend who has a 360 you can go over to his (or invite him over to your place and tell him to bring his 360) and recover your gamertag to make the necessary adjustments.

Thanks - I reckon that's the best plan. Seems a bit daft that you can't do it via pc but can change your password & GT name though....

I'll probably catch my brother next time he's back home and use his to make the switch. Might try to convince him to lend it to me for a few months (it just gathers dust anyway) to play some of the games tied to my account and pick up a couple of recent XBLA releases :)

My email addresses don't show up in Garlik, but I'm sure I used them to order something in the past. For whatever reason though, my email addresses don't work on the VG+ site, even if I request a password. Safe to say then that I'm probably ok?

Strictly speaking I guess this isn't the place to ask, other than Play-Asia, can anyone recommend a decent online store to buy NTSC games now then?

+1 for 1password, it is expensive, but the peace of mind of having ridiculously long random passwords for every single site you register on makes it worth it. Pretty sure the 20% off coupon code 'iSlayer' still works if you want to soften the blow a little bit.

I'm probably being incredibly dense here, but I can't work out how to change my details. I can see where to do it, but whenever I click confirm, log out and log back in, it's still showing my old details. Any advice?

I got a reply back about my inability to change my password. They suggested I use the "forgotten password" link to generate a new password, then log in with that and change it.

I've tried that - I still can't change the password, but now my original password no longer works, only the temporary one does, so I suppose that's good enough.

Still can't change my personal details so I've asked them to look into that. It's probably worth emailing them if you're having the same problem in case they don't realise it's a real problem and not just me bring a spoon? (I hope I'm not just being a spoon)

Strictly speaking I guess this isn't the place to ask, other than Play-Asia, can anyone recommend a decent online store to buy NTSC games now then?

Tronix in NYC have always been great for me with a very fast dispatch and delivery time. Good customer service too should you need to contact them, they will mark the value down if you require. If you do order it works out better getting a few items at the same time to maximise the value of the FedEx delivery which is standard.

They don't have the widest choice sadly.

http://www.tronixweb.com/

I've had another response from VG+. They say there was a bug on the site preventing me from changing my password and address details, and it's now fixed. Sure enough I've managed to update my details and have them still there when I log back in!

So if you were having trouble making your changes stick, give it another go now.

• Upvote 1

I have changed all my details and password on the vg+ site and redone all my passwords for eg amazon etc just in case

I have now joined cifas.

They advised I get an experian credit check. I want to do the £2 one as I don't want to be tied into experian's ongoing service because I assume that getting out of it before the 30 days service expires will be deliberately difficult.

Has anyone either paid the £2 or done the free one and can confirm it shows the most recent credit enquiries?

My last transaction with vg+ was for beyond good and evil on the cube in 2004 - that was a good game wasn't it

I have just cancelled out of the full Experian service without any difficulty, but decided to run with the £1.99 a month alert service for a while.

Had news recently that Ticketweb has also been hacked, so it seems wise to stay alert at all times - check bank accounts, credit cards, and credit rating frequently, and get suspicious if your post stops arriving.

Had news recently that Ticketweb has also been hacked, so it seems wise to stay alert at all times - check bank accounts, credit cards, and credit rating frequently, and get suspicious if your post stops arriviving.

Yeah, I got an email from them telling me to update my Adobe Reader by going to a clearly bollocks URL.

Okay, whatever.