rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Padlocked

Caution: Small Parts

I went to Turkey and forgot to keep you updated! Oh noes!

I had a small rant about rubbish rules, pretty much taking the polar opposite view to Strider's ;)

idespair popped up a piece about 7ombieTV an interesting sounding and cheap game that I may pick up to play with my Zombies!! pieces now.

And Moosegrinder successfully completed the second part of his Realm Qualifier write up. His fingers must be bloody stumps by now.

• Upvote 1

Ah, downtime, the great nemesis. That's another subject on The List, unsurprisingly. I've never played Tikal before and, er, doubt I'll go out of my way to having read that. Low on theme and high on downtime? No ta!

I've enjoyed your posts about WoWTCG, not least because it reminded me of just why I don't enjoy CCGs (aside from the cost, though as a purchaser of miniatures I don't really have a leg to stand on, there) - the fact that they're all about building perfect decks, which in every single CCG results in a small number of 'power' decks which work (and change with each new release), and nothing else which can be competitive. That just puts me off the genre entirely.

Cheers man :)

This is it, but I still enjoy it. Strawdonkey is much better at the game than me so I'd be interested in his proposal to do a counter point argument as the articles 1) were done for the laughs and 2) hopefully obvious that I'm a rank amateur at the game and that no-one takes the opinions expressed as such at much more than face value.

I've enjoyed your posts about WoWTCG, not least because it reminded me of just why I don't enjoy CCGs (aside from the cost, though as a purchaser of miniatures I don't really have a leg to stand on, there) - the fact that they're all about building perfect decks, which in every single CCG results in a small number of 'power' decks which work (and change with each new release), and nothing else which can be competitive. That just puts me off the genre entirely.

You could always play draft format games, or from a cube or small, set pool of cards. The core Warhammer Invasion set comes with draft rules (and special draft cards) in the box, whereas there are plenty of other LCGs and CCGs that come with a few decks comprising of a limited number of cards. If you just want to play against your mates for fun, something like that--or even a couple of pre-packaged dueling decks--would be perfect.

I love the mechanics of these games but the thought of spending £150 on product in a month chills the marrow from my cold frame. As exciting as opening a randomised booster is, it's not worth that kind of money.

I spent £230 on the last set, and that was just for basic product, not even considering the stuff afterwards like tournaments etc. This time I'm buying a Commons/Uncommons set and a box and that's it. Even then it's £140. Le sigh.

I love the mechanics of these games but the thought of spending £150 on product in a month chills the marrow from my cold frame.

It's entirely fitting that you use similar language to drug dealers.

• Upvote 1

You could always play draft format games, or from a cube or small, set pool of cards. The core Warhammer Invasion set comes with draft rules (and special draft cards) in the box, whereas there are plenty of other LCGs and CCGs that come with a few decks comprising of a limited number of cards. If you just want to play against your mates for fun, something like that--or even a couple of pre-packaged dueling decks--would be perfect.

I love the mechanics of these games but the thought of spending £150 on product in a month chills the marrow from my cold frame. As exciting as opening a randomised booster is, it's not worth that kind of money.

Yeah, I did actually used to enjoy draft format MTG for exactly those reasons, but the price (and, well, many of the people) put me off it.

I also own the Invasion box set, because I have more confidence in self-contained card games to avoid those issues, but I've not tried it yet, thanks to a combination of a headache inducing rulebook and the gf being completely uninterested in it.

You've made a great start with the blog, lads. You've been putting out new posts at an impressive rate as well. Keep up the good work.

Just knocked together a piece on the awfulness of game stores (what with the vast majority, in my experience, taking the 'F' out of FLGS and shoving it down the deepest, darkest hole they could find), as the first part of The List; not sure how many articles are in the pipeline before it, but I'm looking forward to seeing it up there - it was a fun, cathartic little rant, and hopefully it reads well. Now I've just got to decide what to cover next. So many awful things to complain about...

I love the Arkham Horror article. Made it much clearer and less scary.

...oh, but is it a review? Should the title be "Arkham Horror for Dummies" or something like that?

I enjoyed reading your review of Puerto Rico - mainly because it offered me some insight into just what it is that makes it so popular a title. It's unfortunately a game that never really grabbed me (unsurprising, given my shallow desire for theme, and general dislike of resource management), but having all the options and approaches outlined really brought home just what it is that makes it such a great game. You know, if you're not a fusspot like me ;)

Glad you enjoyed my rant about shops! The state of board games at retail is something which really gets on my wick. Still, that article was nothing compared to the epic piece about girls in games* that's pending as #2 in The List, mind. My horse was so high when I was writing it that I'm amazed I was able to breathe.

*interpret that as you will

You guys are super productive - really enjoy reading your entries, but I have to do so without my wallet being in easy reach

Ha! Yeah, the team are constantly tempting me. I'm not sure it was such a good idea after all.

Yann did his second List item today - girls in board games - and I wrote up my thrift shop bargain, Scooby Doo and The Maze Of Mayhem.

We do seem to be maintaining a blistering pace. I'm semi convinced we'll burn out soon and switch downs gear. We'll see!

And of course, is anyone feels inspired to join in then please feel free to shout out. The more the merrier!

Your latest entry has really made me smile Pele... Hope the trip works out for you :)

Cheers U-1. I'm going to go to the UK Gaming Expo in May to have a mooch and see what these things actually look like in the flesh and then make a call on whether or not I should take the family/go at all this year. I'd love to do a Euro road trip but my son's a bit of a nut job so I'm going to have to time it right. We're going on holiday in June as well, which will inform the decision even more (basically, can we go anywhere other than Centre Parcs with him yet?).

Today's articles are up and running.

As mentioned elsewhere, Ben's written up a review of Friday which he seems to be impressed by.

Ragman_KD (who may be lurking here, not sure) has recounted his experiences of sinking down the rabbit hole that is board gaming and the way it's taken over his life.

Ragman_KD has recounted his first experiences of board gaming and his subsequent fall to the dark side

• Upvote 1