rllmuk
Retroid

Path of Exile

Before the wipe I had this great gemstone thingy that did loads or random elemental damage. Hope I can find one of those again.

Elemental Hit? Yeah, that shit's the bomb on Bows. IIRC It's a Dex gem, so you should be able to trade it with Rangers and/or Duelist/Shadow.

Protip in advance: If you're hunting for gems, good god, just tag up with another person in-game. When I was playing with a friend during CB, there was certainly a marked increase of Skill Gems dropping.

I'm sure costumes will come along in due course, or at the very least character reskins. I'm hoping that Marauder will have a look that makes them look less like Herman Munster on roids.

According to a buddy of mine (Willei, I think he shows up at RLLMUK half the time), he was getting acceptable framerates even from integrated Intel solutions. I'll see if I can dig some info out from him. I need to boot the bastard into replaying this now there's no more character wipes.

Is there anywhere with a brief description of the classes and what it's possible to do with them with the passive skill tree?

Man, surely half the fun is poring over the skill tree and working it out yourself ?! :P

It's a lot more polished and graphically refined than I was expecting. The only negative so far is that monsters seem to overlap each other, so it's pretty tricky to click on an individual one. Also partied up with 4 other people, and found that most of the time in the chaos I was clicking on my allies rather than enemies. I forget how D3 and Torchlight handle this, but it's a little annoying- still fun though, especially for free!

Yeah but that doesn't seem to work with direct melee attacks. I'm sure if you're firing off arrows or spells it's ok, but when I want to click on a crab monster so I can run over and hit it, trying to find said crab amongst 4 other guys trying to hit it whilst everyone is moving around fast is kinda difficult.

To be fair, it's the only aspect of the game I've found so far that isn't quite as polished as its rivals.

I have to admit, the hitboxes can be kinda janky when playing - a good, very early example is the Cleave skill, which sometimes seems more like the arc of effect is 270 degrees, and the actual attack sometimes feels like it doesn't connect with enemies that are right in front of your face. It's definitely a case of figuring out the game's nuances though.

To be honest, though, my vague memory of playing in multiplayer back on the CB weekends was still a lot less of a clusterfuck than Torchlight 2. That game was the very definition of too many cooks spoiling the broth - every two minutes ended up with a metric ton of enemies, spell effects and badger pets while I'm staring blankly at a 10fps screen trying to play Where's fucking Wally. Shit was horrible.

And as an addenum to Daveodeth's excellent link to the beginner's video, feel free to pour over Kripparrian's 'How to Build a character' video, which gives some insight to theorycrafting in this game (although this is on an earlier build, do NOT regard anything about Lightning Arrow in this video, as you can no longer stack shocks with it):

As mentioned, life/survivability is a lot more essential than DPS early on, and I PERSONALLY recommend Marauder when you're starting off. Few reasons:

- Shitloads of life and life regeneration nodes early on, so that's a no-brainer.

- Resolute Technique, which lets you ALWAYS hit at an expense of any critical strikes being made. This lets you figure out hitboxes of skills and generally get your shit together, without worrying about critting or getting a lot of dex nodes.

- Blood Magic, which uses your health as mana. This keystone means less micromanagement in terms of flasks, and gives you a huge pool of mana once you stack that life regen.

Of course, being in the Marauder skill can make you think 'oh, well I'll just stack that DPS and strength nodes an-' NO. Don't do this - this game blurs the line about what you need for a skill or weapon very quickly, and pumping all your passive points into STR will stuff you. Keep your options open over the first 30 levels - One thing this game is great at is throwing you some nasty as fuck weapon, and you thinking OH WOW THIS IS AMAZING but then you can't use it.

This can be offset during the early stages of the game, though - you'll find that rings, necklaces and belts can give huge STR/DEX/INT bonuses, alongside rare armour. if you're in a pinch, you can use these to allow you to equip items. Don't get attached to them, though - use them as a bridge, and look at your passives to see how you can grab a decent node. Marauder's excellent for this, as well - you have big passives for DEX and INT nearer where the Templar starts, and closer to the starting point you will see a 'Versatility' special node, which grants you an all-in-one bonus. Fantastic for earlier equipment and skills.

Which comes back to Daveodeth's point - Experimentation. Look at what skills you like as you go through the game, see what works and doesn't work - and if you find a unique or rare that blows your mind but doesn't work, that's cool - put it to one side, and think about a great character that can use it too.

Although I say all that and the first few areas are dull as you like, a small tip - if you can be arsed, make yourself another Witch and grab Freezing Pulse, but don't take the character any further - instead, chuck Freezing Pulse in your stash, and give it to any new character. It's a *very* good skill in the starting areas, where you can just kite a metric ton of mobs and mow them down in seconds.

EDIT: Added passage about equipment granting bonuses. Fucking hell, that's a lot of text.

There's usually a move only button too for precisely that reason.

Huh? A move-only button doesn't help with that at all- I don't want to have to click once to move over to a monster, and then shift-click again to hit it! By the time I do that, my target won't be there.

Well excuse me for trying to help! To be fair I only really use click to move when I need to escape an enemy AoE spell. Maybe I'm misunderstanding?

You're a melee class. There's a clump of monsters, you can't easily click on the one you want. Click on clump to attack. Once on range use shift click to attack in the direction you want. (Ie towards your target, obvs needs to be an attack which hits multiple enemies)

It happens in every arpg I've played. Not sure how else you can get round it.

Well excuse me for trying to help! To be fair I only really use click to move when I need to escape an enemy AoE spell. Maybe I'm misunderstanding?

You're a melee class. There's a clump of monsters, you can't easily click on the one you want. Click on clump to attack. Once on range use shift click to attack in the direction you want. (Ie towards your target, obvs needs to be an attack which hits multiple enemies)

It happens in every arpg I've played. Not sure how else you can get round it.

It wasn't a dig, it just seemed like you were saying it like I don't have experience of these type of games, when I've played them for years :)

The problem is trying to click on a specific monster, say one that you've injured with other attacks- in all the other ARPGS, it's not a problem, but in this I'm finding it extremely hard to click on the monster I want to. I've never had to resort to shift-clicking for melee before, and in this most of the monsters move so fast that I'm not sure it would work.

I have the same issue, it's not a massive problem but it definitely feels worse than other games in the genre. I've also been finding almost every action is a bit laggy (I assume there is server trips for everything) and while it's not quite enough to put me off, it's only just the right side of that point at the moment.

Can't decide what class to play. I'd really like to play something other than Marauder but I usually get fed up of how squishy anything else is.

Being an always online ARPG it'll always have some input lag but its also being hammered at the moment as it was generally quite responsive during the closed beta. Certainly it's no worse than D3 in single player mode at times and I had to pay £30 odds for that :)

I'm afraid that doesn't tally with what I've seen. I actually don't think the responsiveness has got much worse since closed beta. Early on in closed beta I didn't notice it that much but when I came back to it more recently (end of last year I think), it was pretty much how it is now in open beta. Diablo 3 was always significantly better for me, to the point I'd be hard pressed to notice any lag most of the time (solo anyway). That said D3 disconnected me occasionally which hasn't happened yet with PoE.

:lol:

So just started, it's quite hard! I've rolled an assassin, which may make things a bit tougher for me but he looked COOL. I like the trading, very neat. Also like how you see other players running about in the town area :D

Couple of gripes, don't like how you can't see a quick comparison of items to current equipment while browsing inventory. Also dislike how you can't change equip or remove gems or anything while trading with an NPC. A bit of an oversight?

I've not noticed it being laggy particularly, didn't realise it was always online.. suppose it makes sense with a F2P game though.

Name is Shinobidood if anyone fancies legging it about the low level areas right now.

Disclaimer, I may have to bail at any moment due to 3 week old baby :)

:lol:

So just started, it's quite hard! I've rolled an assassin, which may make things a bit tougher for me but he looked COOL. I like the trading, very neat. Also like how you see other players running about in the town area :D

Couple of gripes, don't like how you can't see a quick comparison of items to current equipment while browsing inventory. Also dislike how you can't change equip or remove gems or anything while trading with an NPC. A bit of an oversight?

I've not noticed it being laggy particularly, didn't realise it was always online.. suppose it makes sense with a F2P game though.

Name is Shinobidood if anyone fancies legging it about the low level areas right now.

Disclaimer, I may have to bail at any moment due to 3 week old baby :)

Hold Alt for quick item comparison!

• Upvote 1