rllmuk
Retroid

Path of Exile

A dark fantasy action RPG with visceral combat

In Path of Exile, the player has been exiled from their homeland to the corrupted and deeply hostile continent of Wraeclast. Alone, or with other exiles, they must develop their skills and discover powerful magical artifacts in order to survive the challenges of a cutthroat post-apocalyptic fantasy world.

Path of Exile immerses the player in a gritty and realistic art style that goes against the current industry trend of cartoony RPGs.

Our combat is especially visceral, with plenty of blood and gore. Position matters a great amount in our combat system. You can dodge projectiles and be blocked in by monsters.

Continued:

A persistent online world with instanced gameplay.

Path of Exile has been designed from the ground up as a secure online game. Characters and items are stored on our persistent servers, and great effort is being taken to make sure that the game economy is not destroyed by exploits or hacks.

We do not classify Path of Exile as an MMORPG. It is a competitive online action RPG, and has little in common with games that are typically given the MMORPG moniker.

Our realms can support arbitrarily large numbers of players. We intend to only segregate realms based on large geographic locations (realms for North America, Europe and Oceania, for example).

World areas are instanced, meaning that each party gets its own private randomly generated copy of a given area. The random templates for these areas have been designed with a low player cap in mind (potentially in the region of 4-8 players per instance), to make the areas exciting and challenging for small groups. Areas supporting player vs. player combat (PvP) have larger player caps, so that multiple teams can fight against each other.

Communal areas such as towns do not have low player cap limitations and serve as a hub for trading and finding other players to group with.

Completely free to download and play. Supported by ethical microtransactions.

Path of Exile is completely free to play - no upfront costs or monthly fees are required to enjoy 100% of the game content.

To fund the development and maintenance costs of the project, we plan to let players purchase aesthetic perks for their characters such as:

Additional character animations (for example, taunts or PvP victory animations)

Dyes and item skins

Alternate spell effects

Social pets

We will also offer some optional paid services such as:

Inter-realm/inter-account character transfers

Character renaming

You’ll notice nothing in the list above confers an actual gameplay advantage.

Randomly generated levels and items for extreme replayability

Path of Exile features randomly generated indoors and outdoors areas, a quality that ensures long term replayability. RPG fans we talked to expressed extreme disdain for having to replay identical game areas over and over, so we're confident we've made the right design choice. We know that hardcore online gamers play for extreme lengths of time, and we want to make their thousandth hour in Path of Exile as exciting as their first.

Our item system is also extremely diverse. Action RPG fans will be thrilled by the depth and nearly infinite customization of items.

Player vs. Player combat

In addition to the solo and cooperative content, Path of Exile has been designed from day one to offer a competitive PvP environment where players can display their dominance in a variety of ways. We intend to support tournaments and world PvP for both small and large teams of players.

Dozens of combinable skills

Full details of our skill system can be read on the skills page. Because no particular skill is limited to a specific class, everyone will enjoy tremendous variety and individual customization. Additionally, skills can augment each other in a complementary fashion, to create unbelievably powerful, elaborate effects. Want to set a trap that hurls multiple venomous fireballs? Want a critical hit from your weapon to cause the enemy to fly back stunned and frozen? That's just the tip of the iceberg in Path of Exile's revolutionary skill system.

Release schedule

We’ve been developing Path of Exile since late 2006. It has been in Closed Beta since August 2011 and is likely to enter Open Beta in early 2012.

There is a long roadmap of free expansions planned, and we anticipate releasing both feature and content upgrades periodically for many years.

Sign up for the Beta here (recently they've said forum members are 10x more likely to get a key now).

http://www.pathofexile.com/

Gameplay and a nice explanation:

I've just today got the Beta and I can confirm it seems incredibly solid and quite high budgeted for an indie game. The skill tree is *massive*, I really think this game is going to have legs!

P.S. Thanks to whoever pointed me to it on here.

• Upvote 2

How long ago did you sign up for it Mr Retroid and do you actively participate in the forums ? More out of curiosity than anything and it seems to be random who gets a key. I just signed up and forgot about it ages ago.

I was sold the moment I saw the skill tree! I have signed up for it of course, but god knows whether I'll actually get in the beta or not.

One thing to note about that skill tree is that an awful lot of them are supposed to be passive compared to active ones, I'm sure Mr Retroid could confirm either way.

How long ago did you sign up for it Mr Retroid and do you actively participate in the forums ? More out of curiosity than anything and it seems to be random who gets a key. I just signed up and forgot about it ages ago.

Just a week ago, maybe a little less. I've got 5 posts on the forum, I think if you make a post it counts - you might not even need to do that. The increased rate started on the 11th (IIRC) so there might be a good chance you'll get one now.

Edit: Yes the tree is passive but I wonder what bonuses you get for completing whole shapes? Active skills are as far as I can tell in gems which you put in the slots on your armor/weapons.

I posted my top three games of all time, what music I'm listening to right now and I tried typing my name with elbows. That's three posts - now where's my beta key!

:lol:

I was thinking of doing that but it's just incredibly obvious when you've been registered for months and never made a single post :D

'err yeah I love all these games and my favourite type of music ..... *now gimme my fuckin key* '

• Upvote 1

How do you sign up for the beta? It's not clear on the site?

You just create an account on the main site itself which Mr Retroid links to in the first post. I guess they assume if you sign up for an account on the site you want into the beta.

• Upvote 1

That is very kind of you! If you indeed have a spare invite going then I would be very grateful! And of course, if I do get into the beta at some point I will likewise share my invites with other interested forumites :)

Mr Retroid for forumite of they year! Thank you so much for the invite! The great thing is that I got an email saying that I would also receive invites for friends later on, which means that I will also have invites to give out at some point - Mr Woo I'm thinking of you!

• Upvote 3

Mr Retroid for forumite of they year! Thank you so much for the invite! The great thing is that I got an email saying that I would also receive invites for friends later on, which means that I will have also invites to give out at some point - Mr Woo I'm thinking of you!

Babyworshiplawd-vi.gif

Cheers Mr Gerbik, I'd certainly appreciate it if you do get invites :D

• Upvote 1

Just a week ago, maybe a little less. I've got 5 posts on the forum, I think if you make a post it counts - you might not even need to do that. The increased rate started on the 11th (IIRC) so there might be a good chance you'll get one now.

Good going! I signed up in September, and forgot about it :lol:

-edit- Although looking at the forum that's still a month shorter than Mr_Woo :)

Well I got the Beta key 2 days after getting the Beta (I just hadn't checked my emails) so if we can get the invite train rolling everyone should have it at some point next week. :)

• Upvote 3

Fuck me I think I love this game! I will post impressions later, but I can't pause it and I'm also spamming SLy on twitter inbetween slaying hordes of beasts with my trusty summoned Zombie minions :D

Rest assured, if you liked Diablo 2 or Titan Quest, you will most likely love this!

Missed it.. Curses.. :(

Is there an "invite your mates" system in this?...

yes but it takes a while before you get an extra invite. I got one after about a week of getting into the beta myself, but I haven't received an additional invite since.

• Upvote 1