IGNORED

BAP Transfer Thread - Season 16

tyler

Town welcome the Special One

clown_car.jpg

tyler arrives at the Town training ground

"Today we have signed the biggest United star, and no I'm not talking about Wincho, he's next on our list. He was the untouchable, he was a God to many but now they say he's had it, his legs have gone and that the star no longer shines... Who else was going to take that left back slot?"

Welcome to the mad house.

I can't keep this up anymore :(

Pompey took Monkey. I want Monkey back

It's like that bit in Toy Story when Andy gives his toys to a new family as he has outgrown them. I don't want to live with Emily. I want to carry on living with Monkey

I've had plenty of options to switch clubs before but was loyal to the United core for many a season. And they did the same for me in turning down big offers, to keep me at United. But with with Milly gone and Winko stepping down it seemed as good a time as any to make a move. It's still going to be odd, especially not having Mitch, Manic and Winko alongside me. Unless...

Don't Be Blue, Peter

Ginger Spice a make-weight in deal for centre-back of the season.

Player From To Fee
----------------------------------------------------
PeterUK RPL Athletic RPL Rovers
Gerry Helmet RPL Rovers RPL Athletic SWAP+£2M

Money going to Athletic.

Just to clarify something else aswell, Jazzy and Cary Brown were both loan signings last season, so will be in the auction.

Dullest transfer window ever? no offence to those that have moved, but the lack of more action (or possible action) seemed to reduced the transfer window excited somewhat :(

Personally I will voting in favour of sweeping changes next season with the BAP committee.

Me too. It's gone stale since the Gold Silver Bronze thing came in. I know we had little choice but the old salary scheme we used was brilliant. I also know it was a huge time consumer for Saint but it was absolutely perfect.

Oh, the good old days

I can't agree that it was 'absolutely perfect'. It had flaws, much like the current system does.

Not in the same areas of course.

All of us in the steering group (sith, tyler, myself, tobert, poppa, steely, pompey, wincho, mac, jamin) have had the ability and opportunity to propose changes. We're at this point now because we haven't. We now have to make sure it's not just dropped once the season starts, until the next time sith starts complaining ;)

I get the feeling that some people forget that we finished 3rd last season and the one before.

Tris was gold (bought this season as a gold), Jamin and Outsider were (just) silver.

Rankings are based on two seasons worth of data.

edit: I do think it's a bit unfair to highlight tris, outsider and jamin being kept as a problem when nothing was raised when steely, baring, tyler and miner willy were kept at the same team.. or going further back you had steely, baring and sean staying at the same team season on season. Don't get me wrong, I do think there needs to be changes, but I don't think that your example is a good indicator of why there needs to be changes.

No, a few things.

Being able to tap the "star" players really cheapens the deal for me. Yes, we got Tyler for peanuts but it would make me stand up and take notice if Town had of splashed £20m on him instead. Really making a statement rather than exploiting a really cheap rule.

In the main, the "star" players are either kept, tapped or swapped. Auction player's rarely command a major price tag like they used to, a lack of manager cash and teams having already got their "star" men are the biggest problem factors.

The amount of swaps that occur is also pure snore. I would reference Steely's transfer league for a great way to punish it. Straight swaps are banned outright but they are effectively allowed, ableit with a heavy tax.

I actually don't mind the gold, silver and bronze system but whilst it remains an Athletic monopoly, theres always going to be finger pointing. I have always thought that your sum's are weighted incorrectly though, I'm sure you will fix them when Athletic don't win the league.

I have always thought that your sum's are weighted incorrectly though, I'm sure you will fix them when Athletic don't win the league.

I'm sure I will. I just forgot for the last two seasons, but thanks for the reminder.

Keep on contributing, I value your input.

Surely they should all be gold?

Edit - I mean the three I mentioned before who've all been consistently brilliant

I don't think it's that simple to be honest.

There are only 12 of the 60 players in the league who can be gold. We've ended up with 5 this season as it stands, so I think we've had our fair share of gold players to work around.

There are two issues (that I've mentioned before) that do affect that list though and that I think can possibly be looked at:

1. Players who only have one season worth of data are more likely to he higher in the list. eg Jazzy has been good for us this season, but because his ranking info is based on such a small dataset (10 games vs most other peoples 40) it meant a few good games pushed him high up the list.

2. ANY players are more likely to have lower rankings.

I don't really know how (1) can be resolved to be honest. They may well be gold standard, so we can't just remove them.

(2) is a little bit easier and I did propose something to the steering group when I had my self-imposed exile : players who are ANY should get a ranking boost. That'd be closer to reflect their actual worth.

You don't include player's with less than 2 seasons data (as per Team of Legends 40 games rule).

Or as I suggested before, you add a multiplier to the ANY player's rating.

A multiplier to the ratings of those who get into double figures for goals in a season would also be a start.

It's always been a problem and always will be a problem:

How can a player value be determined?

Everyone has their own personal opinion on who they value, but try to actually apply that to a list of 60 people in a fair, open, way.

It's nigh on impossible I'd wager, given the data we actually have to work with.

We've done the best we can and despite the nay sayers, all the data about how rankings and ratings are constructed is available to anyone at any time.

Suggestions on how we can improve things are always welcomed!

Players should be valued on he following factors (not in any order):

Friendship (IRL or Forum)

General Opinion

Overall Contribution

Variety in Positions

Club Loyalty

BAP Experience

That list probably doesn't cover everything and some of the qualitative data can't be converted to quantitative but there are plenty of values which you don't track which you could and plenty of values which, as I said, I think you don't weight strongly enough.

You don't include player's with less than 2 seasons data (as per Team of Legends 40 games rule).

How would those with less than 2 seasons worth of data be valued?

A multiplier to the ratings of those who get into double figures for goals in a season would also be a start.

They already get higher rankings by virtue of scoring goals. The more goals they score the higher ratings they get, which feeds into higher rankings.

Players should be valued on he following factors (not in any order):

Friendship (IRL or Forum)

General Opinion

Overall Contribution

Variety in Positions

Club Loyalty

BAP Experience

That list probably doesn't cover everything and some of the qualitative data can't be converted to quantitative but there are plenty of values which you don't track which you could and plenty of values which, as I said, I think you don't weight strongly enough.

How can those be quantified in any tangible way?

Which values don't we track that we could?

Which values are not weighted strongly enough?

The system we use is laid bare. Suggest specifics!

Aye, it's gone off on a bit of a 'ratings system' tangent.

I'm working on a few suggestions based on what I've raised in the steering group PM (about what the concerns actually are) and will post in there when I'm happy with 'em. I don't imagine it's gonna be anything other than a starting point for discussion, but that's gotta be better than nothing.