Jump to content

Video game retailers


Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, Welrain said:

We got into trouble with head office once when we closed 5 mins early and one of our regulars turned up and we waved to him through the window. He complained and we all got a bollocking.  

 

you should have thrown him a beating. Drag him into an alleyway and be all like 'Eddie Honda sends his regards' before putting the boots to him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Welrain said:

Yes the metrics ruined it (or contributed to the fun I suppose as you made up ways to beat the system) and Americanism of the customer service really was a killer. The “do you need any help” as soon as someone walked in the door came in during my time...it was awful and I cringe when people have to do it to this very day.  
 

and the totting up the till and cleaning after the shop was closed, which was after you’d supposed to have finished.

 

We got into trouble with head office once when we closed 5 mins early and one of our regulars turned up and we waved to him through the window. He complained and we all got a bollocking.  In a staggering coincidence  I’d move 200 miles away and end up working alongside this guy....

 

The related one at Blockbuster are the idiots complaining when they got charged for a late return because it was 22:10 and staff were still inside.

 

Yes, running the End of day you immense prick.  A process that I don't think you need to be technical to understand might have required the day to end.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, earlymodernsteve said:

 

Thanks Steve. Now I have to go back to therapy about you making us say those things back in 2000.

I was only following orders!

 

Do you remember the Porsche Challenge one, it's on the tip of my tongue, it was another twister.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Welrain said:

Oh god.

 

 I remember when we used to sell the loyalty card..£3 I think it was.  It was hilarious on bundles where you’d explain that by spending £3 they’d get more back in vouchers and people would still say no.   We were monitored on how many loyalty cards could shift so we added them to bundles or discounted items by £3 to get people to take them.  There was also the stores where there was a secret loyalty card which they’d scan if the customer didn’t have one...so 100% of sales went to a loyalty card holder...they got caught when head office noted the size of some of the vouchers generated under the scheme. 
 

 

Also if you used the loyalty lookup and searched for Darth Vader, he had hundreds of loyalty cards all over the country.  Many managers had the same uninspired names that popped into their heads when filling in loyalty incompletes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dudley said:

 

And this was because you actually got yelled at if you didn't hit a certain % of transactions.

 

We went the obvious step further than Welrain.  Many, many store cards so none of them ended up with huge numbers. You might choose to think it'd be even more convincing if the cards happened to be registered to people's friends so the points also got used.  I couldn't possibly comment.

 

Also never go 100%. Make sure you're about 10% above the minimum that won't get you yelled at ;)

 

If nothing else, my time at GAME taught me to be REALLY suspicious about any and all metrics.

 

The other gameable one was at Blockbuster.  You had a maximum % of rental transactions that could be refunded without the store being in trouble.  We got very good at keeping our discs good etc so we were always well below this.

 

In reality we were 0.1% below this because of course the regular customers got freebies.  Especially when there was something we knew damn well someone would like, "Here try it on us".

 

(Related note : In the financial year I was at BB, the company was down 15%.  We were up 3, the only rise in our entire district.  It's almost like "targets are fucking meaningless" isn't it?)

One Game store I will not name used to get really busy during the annual illuminations when people would visit the town's famous tower.  They scored 106% as their loyalty swipe rate for the month and the manager (for the sake of anonymity I'll call him Jack Poole) was confident that the area manager wouldn't spot that they had been swiping cards on everything but not on refunds, but at our next regional meeting she held up that result as the target we should be aiming for  and congratulated Dave sorry, Jack, and gave him a bottle of wine.  The same area manager told us all that she expected us to be "above regional average" and no-one seemed to be able to explain to her that it's not possible for everyone to be above average.  Nightmare when you work in that environment.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember all this stuff well. Worked at EB Stevenage between 97, through the Game days until about 2004. Those first couple of years in particular were great. Still have some of the  funnier made up loyalty card names/addresses printed off on receipt rolls somewhere. 
Taking home some awesome standees was a great perk too, as well as winding up the shopping centre security nobbers over the radio, not to mention the pre-owned Sku swapping free for all that went on. Newly released game on a 7603? Don’t mind if I do ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites

At one of the stores by me (not the one I worked at though) they sacked someone because they would swipe their own reward card for every other person that didnt have one.  The big brainiac didnt think they'd notice because he "was careful not to do every transaction that didnt have one".  Another guy would just randomly search a bunch of people so he had a list where he'd add points to a random persons.  Another person used to just do them "free" and knock the money off under the student discount reason and hoped no one noticed.

 

Them were the days....

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The preowned sku system was hilariously broken.  One of my colleagues would also try to trade in stuff for the lowest price possible, ignoring the recommended prices. Plenty of doctoring going on by staff and customers.

 

also shoplifters...I caught so many.  We did the whole disc in drawers thing but not the peripherals so they would walk.  We also used to pile up the trade ins beside the till...until someone swiped them one day..Not just one but about 20 ps games in one go.  We all thought a different staff member had moved them until the realisation dawned.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Welrain said:

The preowned sku system was hilariously broken.  One of my colleagues would also try to trade in stuff for the lowest price possible, ignoring the recommended prices. Plenty of doctoring going on by staff and customers.

 

also shoplifters...I caught so many.  We did the whole disc in drawers thing but not the peripherals so they would walk.  We also used to pile up the trade ins beside the till...until someone swiped them one day..Not just one but about 20 ps games in one go.  We all thought a different staff member had moved them until the realisation dawned.

 

 


A general retail shenanigans thread would be pretty good, I think. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Welrain said:

The preowned sku system was hilariously broken.

When I was there there were no guidelines, staff literally used their judgement on the spot and named a price.  When EB took over Game I was really surprised how the various schemes they brought in looked fine in the store but didn't have the behind the scenes sensibility you'd expect.  Like how they said pre-owned was the most important area of the store, the margins were higher etc, but they didn't have a price list and we just made prices up. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Thor said:

Agreed. The two-ish years I worked for EB ('98 to 00) were fucking great for the most part (made better when @pulsemyne was working there). I still get nostalgic when I step into the Swansea GAME. Despite the layout being completely different now, it's still the same store in the same location. :)

Why thank you good sir! Was only there three months though but it's nice to know I was not forgotten.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@dumpster oh God, I remember that area manager but of course cannot fathom the complex anoynmisation process you've used to hide that store's identity...

 

Having flashbacks to that pile of Turok Evolution copies that disappeared now. Can't believe that was the best part of 20 years ago. In other news, it's been too long. We should grab a beer on the other side of this international shit's how

 

Remember that VAT off sale where they fucked all the prices as they didn't realise that taking 17.5% off the retail price was not the same as the pre-VAT price We were there for hours watching the Clerks animated series and getting more and more confusing emails. I drank too many energy drinks and had an asthma attack on the way home. Great days! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, earlymodernsteve said:

@dumpster oh God, I remember that area manager but of course cannot fathom the complex anoynmisation process you've used to hide that store's identity...

 

Having flashbacks to that pile of Turok Evolution copies that disappeared now. Can't believe that was the best part of 20 years ago. In other news, it's been too long. We should grab a beer on the other side of this international shit's how

 

Remember that VAT off sale where they fucked all the prices as they didn't realise that taking 17.5% off the retail price was not the same as the pre-VAT price We were there for hours watching the Clerks animated series and getting more and more confusing emails. I drank too many energy drinks and had an asthma attack on the way home. Great days! 

I understand you guys want to remain anonymous, but did you work in Glanscaster? I was at Uni there around the time of the Xbox 360 launch. Great store and somewhat of a golden era of multiplayer gaming - Halos 2 & 3 came out during that time, GTA 4, Call of Duty 4, Skate... 

 

I had a yodabox in my first year as well, what a time. Before Uni I went to a forum meet as a nervous bystander, I returned to the Halo 2 meet after a term at Uni and got so drunk in Fez club that I slept in my car.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dumpster said:

Also if you used the loyalty lookup and searched for Darth Vader, he had hundreds of loyalty cards all over the country.  Many managers had the same uninspired names that popped into their heads when filling in loyalty incompletes.

 

Yep, this is reason 2 to just keep your mate's cards.  Because they're entirely real people who just buy an above average number of games.

 

3 hours ago, dumpster said:

 The same area manager told us all that she expected us to be "above regional average" and no-one seemed to be able to explain to her that it's not possible for everyone to be above average.  Nightmare when you work in that environment.

 

I didn't even know Michael Gove had a sister.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Mars said:

I understand you guys want to remain anonymous, but did you work in Glanscaster? I was at Uni there around the time of the Xbox 360 launch. Great store and somewhat of a golden era of multiplayer gaming - Halos 2 & 3 came out during that time, GTA 4, Call of Duty 4, Skate... 

 

I had a yodabox in my first year as well, what a time. Before Uni I went to a forum meet as a nervous bystander, I returned to the Halo 2 meet after a term at Uni and got so drunk in Fez club that I slept in my car.  

Well, it's my face on my avatar so I'm not anonymous :) There's a couple of ex-customers on here from back in the day. I did two stints at Game and Gamestation between 2000 and 2004 around postgrad study so anyone who was around John of Gaunt's old gaffe may have bumped into me when shopping :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Thor said:

Agreed. The two-ish years I worked for EB ('98 to 00) were fucking great for the most part (made better when @pulsemyne was working there). I still get nostalgic when I step into the Swansea GAME. Despite the layout being completely different now, it's still the same store in the same location. :)

 Oh and running up and down the stairs like a mad man because we sold about a billion Playstations. Also people asking "Which of those playstation packs would you get?". I used to tell them to buy and N64 with goldeneye and the packs were crap (not really I was a good salesman/dogsbody)

 Also did you know I was supposed to do the tills at one point but because I made a mistake with the first customer Steve told me "You have just lost a sale." And didn't let me back on the tills.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, earlymodernsteve said:

Well, it's my face on my avatar so I'm not anonymous :) There's a couple of ex-customers on here from back in the day. I did two stints at Game and Gamestation between 2000 and 2004 around postgrad study so anyone who was around John of Gaunt's old gaffe may have bumped into me when shopping :)

 

I was joking sorry :lol: after dumpster's deft cover-up above. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there anyway to contact Game by phone? The number I’ve found online (0) 1256 784000 says ‘welcome to our head office but we are closed, call between 9 and 5’, which is rather unhelpful!

 

I’ve tried Twitter with no luck and raised a ticket last Friday via the website with no reply. 
 

I upgraded my One X on the all access programme to the Series X on the same programme. This was meant to freeze payments on the original agreement, while they issue a box for me to return the original console, give it the once over and finally cancel the original agreement once all has been processed. NONE of that has happened. :facepalm:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dumpster said:

Def meet up when the law allows. 20 years... Jesus Christ. 

 

 Remembering also the guy who needed a refund on 2 brand new xboxes.  Seemed unusual So I checked the loyalty card used on the receipt and it belonged to  member of staff in another branch. Turned out everyone in that store had bought a few xboxes each, travelled to other branches for refunds, all to inflate their sales whilst subtracting from everyone elses.  And there was an incentive at the time too. The store that sold the most xboxes got a trip to Daytona beach in Miami to play beach volleyball with the girls from the FHM calendar.  I remember ringing the area manager, who had already had 4 calls from other stores querying the same thing. A few days later a fax arrived, "staff vacancies at ***** store. We require 1 manager , 1 assistant manager, 1 full timer, 3 part timers....  As far as I remember everyone got sacked. This was 20 years ago so I may have misremembered some detail but that was the gist of it.

 

 

 


Wow at that prize. I worked at the store with the highest turnover in the company and won the prize (a pack of cheap beer) for selling the most Xbox pre orders. Wonder why your region got that as a prize!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Chooch said:

Is there anyway to contact Game by phone? The number I’ve found online (0) 1256 784000 says ‘welcome to our head office but we are closed, call between 9 and 5’, which is rather unhelpful!

 

I’ve tried Twitter with no luck and raised a ticket last Friday via the website with no reply. 
 

I upgraded my One X on the all access programme to the Series X on the same programme. This was meant to freeze payments on the original agreement, while they issue a box for me to return the original console, give it the once over and finally cancel the original agreement once all has been processed. NONE of that has happened. :facepalm:

They have no phone contact at all as they have suspended it during the pandemic.  The only contact is the website or twitter which you have already done.  Even their live chat is closed.  Hopeless.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.