IGNORED

Video game retailers

sandman

Well CEX just goes from strength to strength, in the last 12 months alone they've opened 4 stores near me - all of them in ex-gamestation sites. Dudley, Stourbridge, Kidderminster and Halesowen. I think there's one in every town in the midlands now, a far cry from 10 years ago when there was the grotty one in Birmingham under the Virgin megastore.

a far cry from 10 years ago when there was the grotty one in Birmingham under the Virgin megastore.

That's still there. I honestly can't believe it's a running concern.

People complain about CEX or game shops in general being a bit shabby, or smelling of sweat, but whilst I notice these things, I've never known them be enough to put me off. When I go to Birmingham, I sometimes visit CEX, but more often than not I can't bring myself to go in. The floors are damp and wet, it smells terrible, is like a rabbit warren inside and (though this will naturally vary) whenever I've gone, I've always ended up in a queue full of people trading in phones and MP3 players. I'm not saying they're stolen, but I'm pretty sure it's a rare thing that someone has genuine reason to trade in 3-4 high-end smartphones at the same time (for cash - and then gets very defensive when asked for ID).

I don't know about the other CEX stores, but mine has ridiculous prices. £35 for pre-owned NSMB2 etc. GAME are just as bad. I know high street shops always use the excuse they have rent to pay, but I don't think GAME really need to charge £40 for 3DS games. HMV also do the same. Try to rip off the consumer, then blame them when the business goes tits up because they went somewhere else.

I can't imagine any CEX is all that profitable - most of them seem to be set up by a group of lads with a half arsed business plan and a bank loan, based purely on the basis that it'd be fun to work in a game shop.

Oh, and they fucking stink.

Well CEX just goes from strength to strength, in the last 12 months alone they've opened 4 stores near me - all of them in ex-gamestation sites. Dudley, Stourbridge, Kidderminster and Halesowen. I think there's one in every town in the midlands now, a far cry from 10 years ago when there was the grotty one in Birmingham under the Virgin megastore.

They do but they don't count because they don't sell new games. They're just cash converters with a slightly different product bias. They're not in any meaningful sense part of the games industry nor does anything they take in pay for purchases of new games as they do in GAME.

That said you people above have some shit CEXs. The one near me is very smart, very clean and has a huge amount of stock.

Of course it's owned by the wife of one of their directors so I shouldn't be surprised. The two near TCR (including the Rathbone Place branch) are indeed rancid shit holes.

I was in a branch today and noticed they were selling downloads for the Nintendo eshop, just as Game's website does. They had a decent range of 3DS games. Oddly, however, none of them had any prices marked. So I had to take it to the checkout, and even then he was vague about telling me the price, only that I wouldn't be saving money over buying the physical copy. While that's true on the eshop itself, it's not true on Game's website.

Puzzling way of doing things.

As for CEX, the big one that opened about a year ago in Glasgow city centre isn't too bad.

game seem to be turning into cex

I see they are selling second hand phones and ipods now

kind of like an upscale charity shop

And putting them firmly on display in the window. No longer are they a games shop.

I also noticed that they've started doing the disc repair service, transported over from Gamestation. Except where Gamestation's staff would, in my experience, offer to do it for free if they thought there wasn't much chance of it working, the new Game have decided to charge extra in those cases. £5!

They haven't transferred it over from gamestation. We were doing disc cleaning at GAME back in 2007. It was £3 a disk or 2 for £5.

Fair doos charging for it though. The machine we used to use was called the Disc Go Devil and cost £700, then you had to get solution bottles to fill it up and they will have cost too.

The queues are shocking, you'll wait among the absolute dregs of society and then the pricks will wander back and forth for half a day looking for the actual disc.

True, I forgot that the only time I tried to buy something I gave up after waiting in a non-moving queue for ten minutes.

Game is pretty terrible. I just bought a second hand copy of Red Dead Redemption, and the guy behind the counter put an "Xbox Classics" disk in the case despite the manual being the correct one. When I pointed it out, he said 'but it's the same game innit'. Nonetheless I asked for the disk to match the packaging so he goes to the back to find the right one. He comes back with the case sealed with their annoying stickers and I pay. Checked the inside of the case before I leave, and he's put the right disk in along with the most dog-eared manual he could find. The difference between a shop and a website is service, and Game has none.

game seem to be turning into cex

I see they are selling second hand phones and ipods now

kind of like an upscale charity shop

Yeah, this is another daft move. Who on earth would consider buying a second hand phone from Game? I give it 4 months before they go back to selling games.

There used to be loads of bookshops too.

Now there isn't, but I can just about see some remaining because they're fun to browse. Can anyone really say the same applies to game?

I used to browse game shops, but now I read all about upcoming releases online I barely "browse" for games anymore, as I know what I'm getting before I go in.

To be fair they are still selling games

Good point. Whats worrying is the lack of ideas at head office. Its just - "look at what CEX are doing - lets copy that!" without any proper thought of how to do it.

They also need to get their second hand prices down pronto - normally they are still 40% more than CEX. So why shop there? This isn't a website that takes a week to deliver - this is a shop normally a few yards away. And they can't compete. Maybe this is what has led them down the phone path - to copy CEX wholesale so they can lower their second hand game prices?