IGNORED

Video game retailers

sandman

To be fair to Dudley, he was right, he was correcting an earlier post regarding administration and store closures. And tonight, there are still more Games/Gamestations open than have been closed as a result of administration. Everything that happened today should come as no surprise to readers of this thread, we knew there was probably twice as many branches as they needed. In one fell swoop the administrator has done that and it would appear there are a number of suitors for this cut down chain. The most interesting points now are who will buy Game and did Blueshore get their numbers right and there was still value in the shares?

Thanks for saving me a post, this is perfect.

Meanwhile both my former stores are still open. I was apparently THAT good ;)

I'm surprised the Basingstoke GAME has gone, given that was the branch closest to the head office. The gamestation left is dark and dingy.

Good luck to all those ex employers. Hope you find something soon.

My brother who works in Basinstoke (but not for GAME) tell me it's actually the GS that was closed when he took a look after work.

In Glasgow they've kept the main Gamestation on Union Street and the old Future Zone/EB/Game in St. Enoch, as well as the Games in Braehead and Silverburn, it seems. They shut the massive local flagship Game, among a few others.

If they survive this in some form, then that is a far more sensible number of shops in this city.

Gutted for everybody losing their jobs today, i spent 8+ yrs at GS as a store manager in various stores before leaving last year. I had some fantastic times there, and worked with some great people. We kind of all knew it would be the end when GAME bought Gamestation, but to be fair it took them a while to start bringing in all the changes. either way they have killed gamestation off. I truly didnt think it would kill GAME in the process though. very sad.

Bluewater GAME Lower Mall gone. Upper Mall GAME still trading.

I could never understand the business logic of having two identical shops about 1 min walk apart.

I used the Lower Mall store quite often in Bluewater. The Manager was there was very knowledgeable and helpful and has since transferred to the Crayford store, which is still open.

It will feel odd walking past the empty unit next time I'm there. :(

I could never understand the business logic of having two identical shops about 1 min walk apart.

I think it's been said already but it's most likely due to acquirements of competing chains or taking over shop buildings that housed their former competitors, just like Starbucks do.

Anyone in Newcastle have any news? Having spent 3.5 years in the big Eldon Square branch back in better days (oh, the queues for the Slimline PS2), I can't help but have mixed feelings over its imminent demise. Best of luck to all the staff.

The GAME next to Boots is still open, the Gamestation on Grainger Street and the GAME on the other side of the Eldon Square were both shut. I heard both of the Metro Centre GAMEs were done too. That end of the Eldon Square, next to the new extension? Total ghost town. There's a McDonalds, a Spud-You-Like, and a dozen empty units. It's fucking crazy.

Most people will say he has 100% lost the last amount he put up.

His only hope of that not coming true is if Blueshore Capital flex their muscle and get their way, which would mean existing shareholders will get something if a buyer is found.

Errr the company is in administration, the shares no longer exist. The only people who will get anything out of this will be the larger creditors.staff and customers will be last on the list and probably won't get anything.

It sounds like RBS are probably the largest creditor so probably calling the shots. PWC will have to sort out what's best for the creditors. Anyone owed money will need to register their claim with pwc

PWC will also be responsible and liable now for any debts accrued during this period, which if no buyer is found and debts continue to increase will result in liquidation.

Gamestation new street closing is ashame. It was one of the bigger stores, and I believe it had a retro section. Mind you, I haven't been in there for a year.

Nah, they ditched the retro bit a couple of year ago when the closed off the lower floor. It used to be great down there - retro stuff, gaming related merch, sofas and consoles hooked up to huge TVs...

The Gamestation on New Street used to be fantastic when it opened, the downstairs section was full of some serious nostalgia evoking games/merchandise. When they closed that and made it one floor only, I pretty much stopped going. The massive retro section was gone and replaced by a few shelves with PSone/PS2/Xbox and a few N64 games, and most of the playable displays were shipped out too.

When I was in there a couple of weeks ago their retro section consisted pretty much entirely of copies of FIFA 95 and 96 and Olympic Soccer on the Mega Drive and Saturn. :(

Any news for Walsall / Birmingham City Centre ?

I work(ed) in the Walsall GS, it's definitely one of the ones thats closed today.

It was closed, but I think at least one staff member was in there - there was a woman who obviously knew someone who worked there talking to someone through the closed door...

Presumably they were in there packing up stock, because I then went into Game and asked if they'd be receiving the stock from the closed Gamestation. I was told they would, at some point over the next few days.

Although I have had some truly truly awful shopping "experiences" in game and gamestation over the years I have also had many many fantastic times shopping there. My thanks in particular go to the staff at Crawley, Redhill and Croydon Gamestations who worked there up to about 6 months ago. I knew some of you by name despite being very shy and non-chatty. Most of these staff members left about 6-9 months ago to be replaced by souless idiots - I assume things got so bad the nice staff members left. It fact, the Redhill store shut around 10 months ago and I will dearly miss nipping in on the way to work.

I remember the staff at Game in Crawley cheering as I chucked out some unruly chavs (after they pushed into my daughters pushchair) and struggling home in the snow after picking up my Dreamcast from the other crawley Game (the one outside).

So, thanks for all the memories and I wish you all well in the future.

Yeah I've been asked to do 6 hours tomorrow so I guess that will be packing up the store to shift to the nearby GAME. Probably my last shift.

If you've bought something from Walsall GS over the last year or so I've probably served you, so thanks for the custom.

I'm surprised Edinburgh Princes Street is gone considering it's on the main shopping street. Perhaps being next to HMV and the tramworks, it's not doing as well as I thought.

That's a shame - the manager in there (guy called Danny) is a good guy - enthusiastic and helpful. Surprised they closed that one and not the one in the St James Centre - although suspect the Princes St is prime property and therefore higher rental cost.

I'm surprised Edinburgh Princes Street is gone considering it's on the main shopping street. Perhaps being next to HMV and the tramworks, it's not doing as well as I thought.

It's almost certainly to do with the rent and rates, or a lease expiring soon. I do wonder if historical revenue has anything to do with it though, as that shop was competing for a very long time with not only HMV but the Gamestation store that closed down a few months ago, all within about 50m of each other.

Does anybody know what the situation with the Cameron Toll and Fort Kinnaird stores in Edinburgh is? They aren't on the official list but were on the regularly updated, reader-sourced list earlier today. I can't imagine either of them are profitable enough to keep open.

There should be some people swinging from nooses at the head office for fucking over the staff so badly. I wonder what that ridiculous GAME twitter feed is saying, the one that posted views from head office window and buried its head in the sand so defiantly.

So two shops in Bournemouth have gone, but the two in Poole remain open. Seems odd.

I know and I can't stand Poole. Gutted about Bournemouth gamestation, used to love shooting the shit with the staff there. I hope you all find new jobs if you're reading this guys.

I spoke too soon, the updated list now includes the Sheffield city centre branches of both GAME and Gamestation, as well as two stores in Meadowhell (never go there, so I'm not sure how many there is total). Oof. Gotta be good for the indie, I suppose.

There're two Game's at Meadowhall, both closing, leaving the Gamestation there intact. Looks like the Crystal Peaks branch of game has escaped the chop too.

Chesterfield loses it's Game but keeps it's Gamestation. It looks like Game at Rotherham Parkgate has survived too.

My sympathies to those staff affected by this. Despite Game's failings, this is a sad day.

I know and I can't stand Poole. Gutted about Bournemouth gamestation, used to love shooting the shit with the staff there. I hope you all find new jobs if you're reading this guys.

I knew the guys in the gamestation in Bournemouth and to be honest after CEX opened next to them, business just went downhill for both the stores pretty fast. I'm not surprised they shut them both to be honest :(