rllmuk
sandman

Is "Game" finished?

I'm meeting Pochacco at Bluewater tonight to use up our reward card balances.

No Mass Effect 3, no EA games for March (Tiger PGA Tour 13 due, series has always been a good seller for EA), no Mario Party 9 and possibly no further Nintendo games.

I think administration is closer now than ever.

Everyone's favourite investor

EA are clearly trying to break GAME so they can negotiate better terms for themselves.

:lol:

Yeah, that's what EA are trying to do, negotiate better terms for themselves by driving Game into administration, thereby vastly increasing the likelihood of them defaulting on that debt they owe EA.

With insight like that it's no wonder Rick's the financial wunderkind he is.

It certainly seems like the threads are starting to come loose doesn't it? I used to work there and feel really bad for the people who are still about. Seeing articles like the BBC one must be pretty awful when you work in retail and start seeing the writing on the wall for your employer. I just hope the administration that seems looming can keep as many of them in work as possible.

I read an article a month or go about peoples anxieties and it claimed that losing ones job had shot up in the last few years. I believe it. The thought terrifies me. I think some of the people in this thread with their pathetic fantasies of strutting into Game to spend their five pound of reward points and "telling them just why I'm doing it!" need to get a grip.

• Upvote 2

Like I said earlier, it's horrible being in this situation and we were lucky Santander negotiated to buy up our branches and staff and all the other liabilities of the retail side of the business. This isn't going to happen here unless someone with deep pockets comes along and even then they'll do a drastic restructuring of the stores (no more two to a street nonsense).

The worst if it is none of it is the staff's fault but not only can't they change things, they get all the shit from the customers and lose their jobs while management sit back and plan a move to somewhere else.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Another update from Rick Strider on GAF, still flying that flag when all others have lost hope:

GAME have made a pretty ballsy decision.

The mistake they made was to start taking pre-orders for ME3. They should have decided earlier whether they would commit or not. EA must be playing pretty hardball and GAME called their bluff and EA didn't blink.

It's going to hurt their rep short term but long term, not many will remember this. I predict 9p a share by November and back to around £1 in 18-24 months depending on WiiU and Nextbox releases.

What is clear is that their banks are backing them. I wouldn't shop with them but many do.

Is that likely a function of the fact that there are options other than digital distribution though? If the only means publishers had to sell their games was the digital channel, you'd expect them to be more reactive and fluid with the pricing. As it is, I get the impression they think of it as a nice bonus.

Two points:

1. Some people seem to forget / not realise that we (publishers) can't be seen to 'compete' with retail while it remains by far the biggest route to market. Of course this leads to a bit of a vicious circle, in that digital won't grow so fast if the prices are higher than at retail.

2. We can't be "fluid and reactive" with pricing on LIVE and SEN, because we don't directly control it. We talk with our account managers, of whom there are only a few in the UK, each responsible for several tens of clients; processes are cumbersome. OTOH, there is lots more control on Steam - which is where people happen to see more dynamic pricing, isn't it?

• Upvote 1

You can read the thread for a million posts on the subject but the short version is "no, they're literally identical to GAME's in store experience".

It's got me thinking how fucking bad GAME are on trade in, leaving aside what they actually offer, which I've not seen, you have to trapise all the way into store with your huge pile of shit to even find out how much that is. You also have to go into store to find out if they actually have a copy of something. So without going in you don't know how much what you want will cost or even if they have it.

Counterpoint CEX - http://uk.webuy.com/...u=5030930104108

How much they'll give you, for cash or credit, how much it'll COST you and exactly which stores have copies right now.

Everyone's favourite investor:

Some guys on an unnamed forum (rllmuk) are still mocking my purchase of game shares. I'm still confident that long term they will recover. EA are clearly trying to break GAME so they can negotiate better terms for themselves.

I've got 7500 shares. They're worth £488 right now, down from a high of £850! I paid £500 for them in December! I bought another £100 last month at 3p a share and sold them for £100 so free money!

I'd lying if I said I wasn't bricking it but I'm in it for them long term!

Unban me you fuckers! I've been banned 6 years now! That's a long time in gaming terms!

If he's been banned for six years how was he posting about his shares? Oh god, who is he? Which of the old cunts?

Yeah, it's stupid. At the very least they should have put out an app like the HMV one which tells you the trade in price of whatever you scan or type in. It's less hassle to trade in to Amazon than Game!

Another update from Rick Strider on GAF, still flying that flag when all others have lost hope:

joker.

this EA thing must surely be the death knell. if game and gamestop can't sort out the malarkey over gamestop not wanting game australia stores as part of a takeover, game must be finished. i think this is very very sad.

Game are deader than the dreamcast...

If he's been banned for six years how was he posting about his shares? Oh god, who is he? Which of the old cunts?

before he was banned? or that particular post is from neoGAF...

I suppose it'll be entertaining if GameStop do try to make it again in the UK/Europe (which they obviously aren't going to, people, including MVC, are just fishing for something positive out of all of this). That way we can do this all over again in a few years time!

Yeah, it's stupid. At the very least they should have put out an app like the HMV one which tells you the trade in price of whatever you scan or type in. It's less hassle to trade in to Amazon than Game!

Why would they do that? It would basically highlight the crap trade-in prices. They'll want people to take their games/consoles in to find out how much they're getting because most will probably take what they're offered.

So I thought I'd look on their website to see what I could spend my voucher on. I haven't bought a PC game in years, nevermind downloading one but I expected the DL version to be cheaper?

skyrim.png

Is that right?

The ridiculous thing about that is Skyrim is a Steamworks title, meaning even if you buy the physical media version you still have to register it with Steam, so you get the "digital version" anyway.

It's got me thinking how fucking bad GAME are on trade in, leaving aside what they actually offer, which I've not seen, you have to trapise all the way into store with your huge pile of shit to even find out how much that is.

That's always gotten me. It's been a long time since I traded owt there but phoning up only to be told I had to bring my games in for an estimate pissed me right off. Just grab one off the shelf for fuck sake, mine is either sellable for that price or not at all.

That's always gotten me. It's been a long time since I traded owt there but phoning up only to be told I had to bring my games in for an estimate pissed me right off. Just grab one off the shelf for fuck sake, mine is either sellable for that price or not at all.

The annoying thing is that they never used to be like that with trade ins. I can remember phoning my local store and getting a rough idea of prices, now they full out refuse.

The ridiculous thing about that is Skyrim is a Steamworks title, meaning even if you buy the physical media version you still have to register it with Steam, so you get the "digital version" anyway.

And they're charging more for the 'download' version than it costs to download it directly via Steam, and much, much more than to buy the code from somewhere like GreenManGaming. :hat: