rllmuk
sandman

Is "Game" finished?

I for one won't miss their tatty carpets, gaudy purple and grey decor, inattentive and often downright ignorant staff, smelly, stuffy stores or their terrible pricing/trade in model.

I will miss having *somewhere* to walk in and look at games, since HMV seem to be shrinking their games section as well (based on the Birmingham stores).

Show me the articles.

http://uk.gamespot.c...nnected-6144016

"Let's be fair. Whether it's five, 10, 15, 20 years from now, the concept of driving to the store to buy a plastic disc with data on it and driving back and popping it in the drive will be ridiculous," [Peter] Moore said. "We'll tell our grandchildren that and they'll laugh at us."

A whole 2 years before your article.

• Upvote 2

This is about the 15th time someone has insisted that and yet no-one has come up with any reason beyond "They're the other game shop I've heard of".

Gamestop has tried the UK twice (Remember they own EB). The first time they sold up and created what is now GAME (admittedly before Gamestop owned EB), the 2nd time they didn't get beyond about 3 shops before giving up. Why the fuck would they want a national retailer with a reputation slightly lower than my own bowel movements when they couldn't make it work even in the good times.

Gamestop IS GAME, they have identical business models, the only reason GS is doing ok (and it is only ok) is because the US is an entirely different market with online being harder due to the country's sheer size and considerably less useful competition.

Ahem... http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/aussie-question-delaying-gamestop-move-on-game/091962

• Upvote 1

Where I work there's a Gamestation and a Grainger Games two doors down. I was pricing up Resi Revelations yesterday (£32 new in GG if anyone's interested!) and while there was half a dozen people in GG, Gamestation was empty. It struck me that just a year ago the situation was reversed and Grainger was the empty store.

I wonder if Rick Strider still has his shares..?

I bought £100 worth of shares at 3p last month, the price has bounced back at just under 7p which is when I bought £500 worth of shares. I'm at a break even point right now but confident they'll bounce back. GAME is like a Cockroach. No one likes Cockroaches but they're survivors.

Please can we unban him. Please.

• Upvote 3

Show me the articles.

Brilliant response, most people in the industry can't show you an article cause most of us don't spend our "off" time ranting on blogs!

But you can look back to MCV 4 years ago and 3 years ago when there were discussion between publishers, developers and retailers. I think this has been at least in MCV one a month for 4 years.

Let's also not forget I have seen it discussed at GDC, E3 and TGS for at least 4 years.

Oh but I didn't put them on blogs so I guess they never happened?

Back on topic I personally think the loss of a dedicated retail presence on the high street will be a blow to everyone involved in the industry.

You may not agree with everything game does, I know I don't, but I'd rather them be around than lose them.

J

• Upvote 1

Yakuza 4

Game: £9.99

Tesco: £37

I'm no Ian Malcom but isn't the smaller number cheaper. Yes it is only one game but have you looked at the games in Tesco recently? They are pretty much all as or more expensive than in Game.

I'm on about new releases.

That is not "everyone else in the entire industry".

Yeah, I'm sure pretty few people paid attention to Peter Moore. He was a pretty small voice in 2006. If only there was another post you could have chosen to reply to rather than mine, that didn't stop at the most obvious first article they found. Something like, say:

People were complaining about having to go to a shop to buy Windows 95. Link me to an article you've written before that point and it might be vaguely interesting.

Back on topic I personally think the loss of a dedicated retail presence on the high street will be a blow to everyone involved in the industry.

You may not agree with everything game does, I know I don't, but I'd rather them be around than lose them.

J

As I've said, gamestop will buy them before the end of the year, see the MCV link I posted.