Jump to content
rllmuk
sandman

Is "Game" finished?

Recommended Posts

I wonder how many of the landlords are local councils? They've been paying way over the odds for shopping centres these past few years...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, alex3d said:

 

Why is that still the case though? So many shops going out of business, esp. smaller indie ones.


I said something in the retail thread, but it seems like the people who own these properties and businesses want them and all their friends to be able to stop increasing their employees wages in line with inflation but still have profits increase year on year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Derby Westfield/Intu/Whatever the fuck it's called is slowly turning into a ghost town. They've taken to boarding up the shops and covering up the boarding with pictures of shops so that it feels like a marginally less terrible experience walking around there. They're not managed to re-rent the old Grainger Games store and they closed aaaaages ago.

 

Wonder how long it'll be until you end up with gyms and stuff in there, like all those dead, barely alive strip malls in the US.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Pelekophoros said:

They've taken to boarding up the shops and covering up the boarding with pictures of shops so that it feels like a marginally less terrible experience walking around there. They're not managed to re-rent the old Grainger Games store and they closed aaaaages ago.

 

Dumfries is the same. Painted windows / boards to try and make the place look nicer. There's shops all down the high street that have been empty for the best part of 10 years now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Down by Law said:

My sister in law works for HMV in a big shopping centre, they were saved last January, but the rent's just come back up for renewal and because the centre owners won't negotiate they are closing down again.

 

I don't understand the logic of having a huge empty unit paying no rent vs having an occupier paying a reduced rate so they can actually run a business, but that's why I'm not a landlord.

I think the problem is that if they reduce the rent for a business that is struggling then other businesses mgith start sniffing around for discounts too. Lets keep it simple. You have 50 units and you earn 1000 off each. 1 of them has trouble and wants to pay 500 for next 12 months. If you let them you get 500 instead of nothing but as other rents come up the other 49 may also ask for a discount as you have devalued your own units and it wouldnt take many concessions on rent before you'd be better off having a unit empty and not getting rent instead of 500 and load of others discounted.

 

It is shoirtsighted because if the conditions continue then they will have to restructure and accept lower rents but for the moment they are getting all they can and sometimes getting zero on one property makes financial sense.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have about 35 quids worth of credit in game, I'm saving it for FFVII remake.

 

Shall i cash out?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, cohen205 said:

I have about 35 quids worth of credit in game, I'm saving it for FFVII remake.

 

Shall i cash out?

 

 

 

I probably would tbh. Get PSN credit for it

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Clipper said:

It is shoirtsighted because if the conditions continue then they will have to restructure and accept lower rents but for the moment they are getting all they can and sometimes getting zero on one property makes financial sense.

 

Does it though? If empty the landlord has to pay the business rates. Probably better to let at a low/peppercorn rent on a rolling short term rental than leave empty? GAME this time last year weren't paying any rent on a handful of stores.

 

1 hour ago, cohen205 said:

I have about 35 quids worth of credit in game, I'm saving it for FFVII remake.

 

Shall i cash out?

 

 

 

I can't see them going under any time soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mr Tony said:

 

Dumfries is the same. Painted windows / boards to try and make the place look nicer. There's shops all down the high street that have been empty for the best part of 10 years now. 

 

In Norwich, near one of the residential streets there is a small Blockbusters store which closed, well, when all the stores closed. And it has just stood there empty and you have to wonder who owns it?  Surely even a minimal rent would be better than having an empty space all these years.  I don't understand it, presumably insurance will still need to be paid on it, perhaps business rates? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is the same principle as Burberry destroying clothes. They want to maintain the value of their product by not letting unused stock be sold at a discount.

 

Whilst it makes sound business sense for the landlord this is not in the interests of the wider economy.

 

This could be addressed with a carrot or stick approach. Financial incentives, such as reduced tax costs, for landlords with no vacant properties, for example. Or on the flipside increasing the costs of vacant properties. Or legislate that after a suitable period of vacancy (maybe 12 months), the property is leased to the highest bidder for a minimum of, for example, two years.

 

A few years ago there were debates about the morality of houses and flats lying empty when people are homeless. The same argument could be made for retail - that unused commercial property is a wider social issue and holds back the country.

 

Alternatively, given that the problems on the high street are largely as a result of internet retailers undercutting bricks and mortar shops, use tax revenue from internet stores to support traditional retailers, if there is a view that high streets are more than just a collection of shops and serve a wider community benefit that is being undermined by online shops.

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Charge business rates on properties that have been empty for over 12 months? I’m assuming that empty units aren’t attracting business rates?

 

edit: apparently you only get three months grace so I’m assuming the landlord is liable for business rates on empty units. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BossSaru said:

It is the same principle as Burberry destroying clothes. They want to maintain the value of their product by not letting unused stock be sold at a discount.

 

Whilst it makes sound business sense for the landlord this is not in the interests of the wider economy.

 

This could be addressed with a carrot or stick approach. Financial incentives, such as reduced tax costs, for landlords with no vacant properties, for example. Or on the flipside increasing the costs of vacant properties. Or legislate that after a suitable period of vacancy (maybe 12 months), the property is leased to the highest bidder for a minimum of, for example, two years.

 

A few years ago there were debates about the morality of houses and flats lying empty when people are homeless. The same argument could be made for retail - that unused commercial property is a wider social issue and holds back the country.

 

Alternatively, given that the problems on the high street are largely as a result of internet retailers undercutting bricks and mortar shops, use tax revenue from internet stores to support traditional retailers, if there is a view that high streets are more than just a collection of shops and serve a wider community benefit that is being undermined by online shops.


Off topic, but my girlfriend used to work for Burberry. Absolutely shocking company when it comes to ethics and crunch culture. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Down by Law said:

My sister in law works for HMV in a big shopping centre, they were saved last January, but the rent's just come back up for renewal and because the centre owners won't negotiate they are closing down again.

 

I don't understand the logic of having a huge empty unit paying no rent vs having an occupier paying a reduced rate so they can actually run a business, but that's why I'm not a landlord.

Plymouth store was in a similar, if not this exact situation. I think they’re moving to where a fair sized Maplin was. 
 

I like to browse the 4k and graphic novel sections but otherwise have no interest in going into town. A real shame if it goes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The retails units have a value, and that value is set by the landlords.  If they decided to halve their rents it would mean you would get new stores and new life into the high street but there would be a new "normal", as it would all count to be proof that the rents were too high and the landlords would never get back up there.  Landlords will have paid for the properties in the first place and they will have projections based on the values of the properties.  Setting a new standard by lowering prices probably isn't possible. Short term they might coax some shop to set up in a currently empty unit, but long term... The rise of the high street would be at the expense of the landords who can't repay the loans they took out to buy the property.  It seems that the high street needs to completely fail in order for the landlords to have completely empty shops so the landlords fail, can repay their loans to the  banks which hopefully have to swallow the losses.  Then they sell the premises again but at much cheaper prices and only then can it all start over with manageable rents and high streets full of small businesses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely though their projections can’t just be continual increases in rent forever? Especially when the economy has been shit for years and there’s been recessions and stuff. Why can’t they lower their rent for everyone a bit this year to see if it attracts more businesses rather than expecting to make more money every year when they’re adding on value to the economy and contributing nothing to the country?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Broker said:

Surely though their projections can’t just be continual increases in rent forever? Especially when the economy has been shit for years and there’s been recessions and stuff. Why can’t they lower their rent for everyone a bit this year to see if it attracts more businesses rather than expecting to make more money every year when they’re adding on value to the economy and contributing nothing to the country?

 

Debt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jazz Glands said:


Off topic, but my girlfriend used to work for Burberry. Absolutely shocking company when it comes to ethics and crunch culture. 

 

What do they do that's bad?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, bum said:

 

What do they do that's bad?

Burn old stock rather than sell it at a reduced price and ‘devalue’ the brand. I assume that’s the tip of the iceberg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know that, but that has already been mentioned - I'm assuming there's some even worse stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, bum said:

 

What do they do that's bad?


They take the crunch culture to the next level - my gf was quite senior there and the design staff are expected to work 18 hour days, without breaks, for weeks leading up to runway shows. The attitude within the company is this is expected and you don’t question it if you want to work for a big fashion brand - they take advantage of a lot of youngsters who want to get into the industry as a result. Gucci, for example, are a far better  company to work for and don’t take the piss like Burberry do.

Also the creative director is a POS who happily parks his tank in disabled bays as the fines are small change to him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Broker said:

Surely though their projections can’t just be continual increases in rent forever? Especially when the economy has been shit for years and there’s been recessions and stuff. Why can’t they lower their rent for everyone a bit this year to see if it attracts more businesses rather than expecting to make more money every year when they’re adding on value to the economy and contributing nothing to the country?

In some cases it's just landbanking. The whole sector needs reform. Unfortunately, the tories are riddle with landlords. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, dumpster said:

The retails units have a value, and that value is set by the landlords.  If they decided to halve their rents it would mean you would get new stores and new life into the high street but there would be a new "normal", as it would all count to be proof that the rents were too high and the landlords would never get back up there.  Landlords will have paid for the properties in the first place and they will have projections based on the values of the properties.  Setting a new standard by lowering prices probably isn't possible. Short term they might coax some shop to set up in a currently empty unit, but long term... The rise of the high street would be at the expense of the landords who can't repay the loans they took out to buy the property.  It seems that the high street needs to completely fail in order for the landlords to have completely empty shops so the landlords fail, can repay their loans to the  banks which hopefully have to swallow the losses.  Then they sell the premises again but at much cheaper prices and only then can it all start over with manageable rents and high streets full of small businesses.

 

Didn't you basically just describe a recession?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With Bexleyheath on the list, that will be both my two local stores gone what with Crayford a while back. I bet CEX opposite in Bexleyheath will be pleased as they will now be the only high street option there for trade ins and pre owned.

  • Empathy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Horsham store gone. No idea it was going. Was there ever a list of the 40 stores that are closing.?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it's the express, but:

 

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/1226696/GAME-store-closures-list-is-your-local-store-shutting-down

Quote

 

PUBLISHED: 13:56, Fri, Jan 10, 2020 | UPDATED: 14:06, Fri, Jan 10, 2020

 

GAME STORE CLOSURES LIST - CONFIRMED STORE CLOSURES SO FAR

• Bexleyheath

• Canterbury

• Carmarthen

• Derby

• Glasgow Fort

• Lakeside

• Leicester

• Mansfield

• Norwich Chapelfield

• Watford

 

 

 

the i

 

https://inews.co.uk/culture/gaming/game-store-closures-list-full-branches-closed-when-shutting-1361340

 

Quote

Monday, 13th January 2020, 8:22 am

UpdatedMonday, 13th January 2020, 8:35 am

 

Bexleyheath

Canterbury

Carmarthen

Derby

Glasgow Fort

Lakeside

Leicester

Mansfield

Norwich Chapelfield

Watford

 

 

so... some of these sites man

 

headline

Quote

Retailer GAME plans to close 40 UK stores with list revealed

text

Quote

While some sites have been named the full list of 40 is not available.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, sandman said:

Horsham store gone. No idea it was going. Was there ever a list of the 40 stores that are closing.?


Barely ever remember seeing anyone in it (as I walked past).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well if everyone stopped buying every single item online we wouldn't have these GAME stores closing. Maybe.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

Well if everyone stopped buying every single item online we wouldn't have these GAME stores closing. Maybe.


Brilliant post!

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Well if everyone stopped buying every single item online we wouldn't have these GAME stores closing. Maybe.

 

Why do people buy stuff online though? Is the decline of GAME inevitable or due to mistakes they are making? Is there room for specialists and advice still.

 

Maybe it's possible you haven't solved a 315 page thread with your one wonderpost :)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.