rllmuk
sandman

Is "Game" finished?

8 hours ago, deerokus said:

Venerable Glasgow indie Gforce is shutting down. If they're going, the Game a few doors down will be quickly behind them.

That's a shame, but not unexpected . Probably expensive rent where is main store was. Quite often very expensive for some titles and really cheap for others. The imports he used to bring in probably won't do a lot anymore due to everyone being able to get what they need online. I also remember him doing really weird choices like selling R4 cards back in the day. Never made sense to me. Sell someone a console and the means to have them never come back for more games. 

Someone on twitter said their footfall had plummeted recently which is interesting. Probably partly the lack of exciting releases this year, but Union Street is just weird and shitty now. 

They've had the same rack of animé vita games at 30 quid each for about 3 years. 

I like/liked popping in for curios but the staff were never very friendly, not a place you'd go to specifically because you like it in there, which is death in modern retail. 

2 hours ago, deerokus said:

Venerable Glasgow indie Gforce is shutting down. If they're going, the Game a few doors down will be quickly behind them.

Always a shame to see an indie close.

On 06/06/2019 at 09:07, Broker said:

They sell cans of coke for nearly two pounds. If anything, the sports direct model of selling whatever you can as cheap as possible makes a lot more sense long term than games plan of selling everything over RRP but offering that by being total cunts.

He might make GAME more competitive price wise.  Maybe eyeing up the opportunity of £££ from next-gen in 2020. Problem is hardware is low margin so expect to have to buy a pair of socks and a mug.

• Upvote 2

I would expect a Mike Ashley-owned Game to close all of its expensive high street stores and relocate to sitting in branches of Sports Direct and Debenhams.

Definitely not Debenhams, they hate him. 

Game used to have concessions in Debenhams, years ago, I remember playing a Crazy Taxi port in there. 

Was Game the company that held more cash than their company value, and very short lease agreements? If so, I could see this being an opportunity for Ashley to buy a high Street brand at a low cost, to relocate into his other existing retail stores.

29 minutes ago, BossSaru said:

Was Game the company that held more cash than their company value, and very short lease agreements? 

Yes to both. Agreed on shifting into his other shops where there’s excess space.

Some are making a big deal of this, but my understanding is that Game no longer take in PS3 and 360, and I can't remember buying a current gen game that came with more than a leaflet. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, deerokus said:

I got a good trade in deal at Game yesterday, was a bit surprised. 

Yeah - they're giving an extra 25% if you pre-order anything in store. I got £37 for Yoshi on the Switch - which was a lot more than I expected.

2 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

Yeah - they're giving an extra 25% if you pre-order anything in store. I got £37 for Yoshi on the Switch - which was a lot more than I expected.

Yeah the girl said if I couldn't think of something to pre-order she'd put through a fake one so I'd get the offer. I thought they charged a fiver or something for pre-orders, but apparently not. Fair enough. I said to pre-orders Doom Eternal but I probably won't take it up unless I have stuff to trade then too. 

Got something like 40 quid for a load of old tat.

• Upvote 1

Game already helped ruin a generation of physical games by using marker pen to write numbers on cases, manuals and discs during the PS2 era.

I imagine they'll recycle the manuals?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Mr Combo Breaker said:

if you count ripping them up for roaches, yes

I hope that's not the case.

I have nothing but disdain for Game, from successfully helping kill my local indie Videogame shop, screwing me over numerous times on returns, high prices, destroying a whole generation of physical games and general skulduggery over the years.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1