Is "Game" finished?

For disclosure i've worked at GAME in the past so have an understanding of how some things there work. Funny thing is the tills are still running on Windows 2000 and are identical to how they were 15 years ago, only with frankenstein bits bolted on that make the system totally unstable.

The tills run on Windows XP

I think the comments sum up much of my life at Game; head office did not give a shit what happened in-store and never really took feedback on board. Even customer complaints were dealt with differently since they are faceless over the phone or live chat with customers.

Yes, but then they'd have to pay Apple a cut. The PlayStation app does the same thing

IIRC that cut only applies to 'digital' or intangible goods, so as long as they didn't let you buy credit for the console platforms or game keys on the app they would be fine I think. It's just a case of them doing the bare minimum.

But I'm an Android user so I dont keep up to date on Apple's tyrannical policies.

Yet again yesterday I found my local Game to have pleasant staff who can't do anything about insane pricing.

I snapped up Mad Max for £24.99, same as Amazon, but before I bought it I asked if they could make their pre-owned copies, also priced at £24.99 any cheaper. The lad on the till scanned it to see, then went to ask his colleague, who said they couldn't. They agreed that it was silly but there was nothing they could do about it.

I ordered an Xbox One controller from them during their Black Friday sale and the confirmation email said to allow 5-10 days for delivery instead of 2-3 days that it is during the rest of the year. I've had games arrive from VG+ quicker than that.

Yet again yesterday I found my local Game to have pleasant staff who can't do anything about insane pricing.

I snapped up Mad Max for £24.99, same as Amazon, but before I bought it I asked if they could make their pre-owned copies, also priced at £24.99 any cheaper. The lad on the till scanned it to see, then went to ask his colleague, who said they couldn't. They agreed that it was silly but there was nothing they could do about it.

It seems silly but unfortunately it isn't.

Retailers will have traded in a load of copies at a certain price when the game was new. What a lot of publishers do (Bethesda do it quite a lot) is put on a deal a certain amount of time after launch. They will sell retailers new copies at a much lower price on the proviso that the retailer drops the price to an agreed low for a period of time. This sees new games that were £45 get sold for £25. Retailer sells loads of games due to the bargain and publishers keeps cash coming in.

However, the retailer will still have a load of pre owned stock that they took in prior to the deal and the chances are they gave each customer more money than the retail price of the product during this agreed deal. If not more then certainly not much less.

The outcome is that they cannot reduce the pre owned cost as they will actually lose money but on the new copy they will still make money.

Business is about selling a product for more money than you but the product for. If you buy product 1 for £10 and sell it for £20 and buy product 2 and sell it for £20 then you should be Hoping that everyone buys product 1.

It seems silly but unfortunately it isn't.

Retailers will have traded in a load of copies at a certain price when the game was new. What a lot of publishers do (Bethesda do it quite a lot) is put on a deal a certain amount of time after launch. They will sell retailers new copies at a much lower price on the proviso that the retailer drops the price to an agreed low for a period of time. This sees new games that were £45 get sold for £25. Retailer sells loads of games due to the bargain and publishers keeps cash coming in.

However, the retailer will still have a load of pre owned stock that they took in prior to the deal and the chances are they gave each customer more money than the retail price of the product during this agreed deal. If not more then certainly not much less.

The outcome is that they cannot reduce the pre owned cost as they will actually lose money but on the new copy they will still make money.

Business is about selling a product for more money than you but the product for. If you buy product 1 for £10 and sell it for £20 and buy product 2 and sell it for £20 then you should be Hoping that everyone buys product 1.

True, but you equally do not want to be left with a load of pre-owned stock which you brought for a higher price and which is losing value as time goes on. It is better sometimes to make a £5 loss than an eventual £15 loss. I guess in your example Game are hoping that after the temporary new copy discount ends that the pre-owned copy will increase in value so avoid making a loss. Given that games tend to decrease in price over time, it would seem a bit of a gamble.

I ordered an Xbox One controller from them during their Black Friday sale and the confirmation email said to allow 5-10 days for delivery instead of 2-3 days that it is during the rest of the year. I've had games arrive from VG+ quicker than that.

Not that much of a shocker during a busy period tho is it, I have Amazon prime stuff take that long tbh

Nobody's got stock, they might be waiting for a delivery themselves.

The offer on the new stuff will likely end in a week. Why sell pre-owned stuff at break even for £20 this week, when next week it will be the cheaper option for £25?

It's just a gamble really. Games fall in price so Game have to hope that by maintaining the price of the 2nd hand stock that it will sell for a higher price and they want have to eventually sell for a lower price. I am sure Game are pretty good at this type of thing although even then I bet they make a loss from time to time on 2nd hand games when the price just drops through the fall for new copies.

The offer on the new stuff will likely end in a week. Why sell pre-owned stuff at break even for £20 this week, when next week it will be the cheaper option for £25?

It does look illogical to the customer and damages the perception of the brand/store though, making them seem incompetent and like they don't know what they're doing (or worse, that they're deliberately out to gouge extra money from people who didn't spot the new ones are on offer). They'd probably be better off sticking the secondhand copies in the stockroom for a week.

Similar thing with when HMV do stuff like advertise a certain movie for £4.99 with a massive poster in the window, then the only copies left on the shelves are stickered up at £12.99 and the staff say they can't sell them at the advertised price (which can again be explained by them having got 20 copies at a promo rate of £4 each last Friday, but the ones left on the shelf they paid £10 each for when it was released). There is a reasonable explanation, but it sours the public's perception of them.

True, but you equally do not want to be left with a load of pre-owned stock which you brought for a higher price and which is losing value as time goes on. It is better sometimes to make a £5 loss than an eventual £15 loss. I guess in your example Game are hoping that after the temporary new copy discount ends that the pre-owned copy will increase in value so avoid making a loss. Given that games tend to decrease in price over time, it would seem a bit of a gamble.

They already gambled, when they accepted all those 2nd hand copies at the higher price (sometimes it might be worth it to do that to keep customer loyalty, all those copies of annualised titles they are forced to take a loss on eventually for example). The publisher kinda fucked them over by doing a massive discounted promotional price on new copies a short while after launch making their existing 2nd hand stock lose a load of value overnight in the eyes of the consumer. The joys of retail stock management.

I don't get why GAME insists on increasing their prices all the time. Wind Waker HD has gone from £30 to £40 in the last year, copies of the game are starting to pile up in my local GAME stores because no one is going to pay RRP for a 2 year old second hand game.

Jesus Christ -they offered me £18 trade for ROT Tomb Raider earlier!

I got them to beat CEX so got £32, but how many people get caught like that? A chap the other week traded in a shed load of stuff and he seemed like an intelligent chap, but he must have lost well over £100 by not getting them to price match.

And they want £55 for Just Cause 3!!!

How do they keep going?

Jesus Christ -they offered me £18 trade for ROT Tomb Raider earlier!

I got them to beat CEX so got £32, but how many people get caught like that? A chap the other week traded in a shed load of stuff and he seemed like an intelligent chap, but he must have lost well over £100 by not getting them to price match.

And they want £55 for Just Cause 3!!!

How do they keep going?

By selling Just Cause 3 for £55 and only offering £18 trade in for Tomb Raider.

So the Xbox One Elite controller is back in stock on Game's website but you have to buy it with a game for £159.99. I've got £40 of credit with them and I'm specifically waiting to use it for one of these but they can see Buttertendo's post above for what they can do with these bundles.

Scum. Subhuman scum.